LucasLand Blue Sky Rumor @ DHS

Imagineer6

Frontierland doesn't need expansion. Splash and Thunder are two of the park's flagship attractions. Thunder needs a major refurbishment, but other than that, Frontierland is fine the way it is. DHS and DAK need expansion before MK needs more. Epcot also needs something new. They haven't gotten anything major since Soarin' in 2005. That's the longest drought of all the Orlando area theme parks.

Captain EO?!:shrug: Hellooo!:ROFLOL:

devoy1701

Only time would really tell, but I'd figure that LOTR would not be as big a draw.

I am a big LOTR fan, but I don't think it translates to a park in the way that Harry Potter does today or that Star Wars does.

When I was a kid and saw the original Star Wars movie, they dominated my imagination & play. I'd pretend to be a Jedi, play with the action figures & ships, or even just daydream about what it would be like to be in a Star Wars world. As I got older and Lego finally released their Star Wars line, I bought every one that I could. When the Phantom Menace was going to come out - wow, I remember the excitement that everyone had (unfortunately, it didn't turn out as good as everyone hoped)

Potter had some of that - the imagination of being a wizard, the wonder of Hogwarts, etc... It even had the Lego sets :)

Amongst the two, I think (at least for me), Star Wars captured my imagination in a way that Harry Potter only scratched the surface of.

When I look at my kids, they love to dress up as star wars characters wear their "Hogwarts" robes. They can imagine what it's like to live in those worlds.

LOTR, on the other hand, is a great set of books and some tremendous movies - however, I don't see how you translate that into theme park wow & excitement. My 8 year old can't see himself in the LOTR, he doesn't dress up as a hobbit. Even as a kid, the only character I marveled at was Gandalf. Basically, as I see it, LOTR is a GREAT!!! story, but when it's over its over. Star Wars is the king of keeping my imagination. Harry Potter a distant second.

Looks like you figured out the Key to the staying power!!! I think it's about time Star Trek signs on with Lego... Just sayin...

NoChesterHester

With all this talk about more MK expansion it really has me confused on the priorities. Sure, I welcome potential additions to the flagship park, but all that does is create a larger gap between MK and the other 3 parks.

Many of us are left wondering the same thing.

Could it be that the MK, although it is the park that needs the least, actually suffers from the most capacity issues? Do the other parks actually close due to capacity ever?

baymenxpac

Could it be that the MK, although it is the park that needs the least, actually suffers from the most capacity issues? Do the other parks actually close due to capacity ever?

you took the words right out of my mouth. i was thinking the exact same thing.

it's pretty routine that MK hits its capacity over the course of a year, particularly on easter break, right? maybe they're trying to combat that issue.

juniorthomas

That's a good question. Logic would have us think that there's no way MK needs the most help with capacity - but stranger things have happened, I suppose. Anyone have numbers?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Captain EO?!:shrug: Hellooo!:ROFLOL:

The return of a 3-D movie constitutes neither a major nor a new addition to the park.

I think most people will agree with me when I say Captain EO eas definitly NOT major:ROFLOL:

It was only major for MJ fans. I'm going to agree with you.

I think Imagineer6 was using the high sarcasm setting in that post. Doubt you'll find anybody who thinks bringing back EO was a major improvement

I think MK's capacity issues are more about space than attractions. So expanding and adding attractions isn't going to do much for allowing more visitors at a time. At least I wouldn't think so.

WDWGoof07

I'm confident this is the reason.

If it's such an issue, though, why don't they utilize some of the unused spaces they currently have? They could bring back the Diamond Horseshoe show, the Adventureland Veranda, and some of the Rivers of America water rides, as well as operating the Tomorrowland Terrace everyday.

jt04

I think Imagineer6 was using the high sarcasm setting in that post. Doubt you'll find anybody who thinks bringing back EO was a major improvement

As I was remarking in another thread, pop culture references and icons really do not fit FW and cause real problems for any sort of cohesive story telling. It was the same with HISTA and the current Energy pavilion. I think it is common knowledge that Eisner did not understatnd FW or he just bought into the meme of the day that Epcot was boring, inaccessable and lacked family content.

Hopefully it will get turned in the right direction. The SSE refurb and post show is a net plus in my book for getting FW back to where it should be.

MarkTwain

I'm confident this is the reason.

If it's such an issue, though, why don't they utilize some of the unused spaces they currently have? They could bring back the Diamond Horseshoe show, the Adventureland Veranda, and some of the Rivers of America water rides, as well as operating the Tomorrowland Terrace everyday.

This. I suspect capacity was exactly what the FLE was for, but I think that these are smaller solutions which could address the MK capacity problem.

Does anyone else think... and this is pure speculature here... that maybe MK's huge attendance over the other parks (some of which are much better equipped to handle it) might have to do with Disney's constant pimping it as the WDW theme park? It seems like every commercial, every internet ad shows only the Magic Kingdom, and never parts of Epcot, DHS, or AK, and I wonder if guests are therefore showing up in droves to what they might consider the sole epitome of WDW.

wdwfan4ver

If Frontierland expansion happens, it actually could affect AK, DHS, and Epcot in a negative way besides helping MK. More expansion to MK would cause people to spend less time at the other 3 theme parks at WDW. I don't think MK expansion would hurt Epcot as much as AK or DHS.

DHS and AK need expansion in terms of keeping people in the park longer and in the case of Animal Kingdom more Flagship attractions.

Epcot needs help on the Future World Side. I know about the talk of Brazil being a new World showcase Pavilion, but new countries for World showcase Pavilion have been scrapped in different stages before.

Slowjack

I think it's about capacity on a local basis--Fantasyland itself, not all of the MK. Remember that the reason Lasseter gave for the expansion was that they had the smallest guests waiting in the longest lines. I don't think that was a smokescreen. As I've pointed before, WDW and MK in particular skews much younger than it once did. Look at all the efforts in recent years regarding strollers--stroller parking areas, stroller rental expansions, monorails you can roll strollers right on (wheelchairs, too, of course, but still). I'm guessing they had turnstile numbers and surveys that suggested parents of preschoolers weren't getting the guest experience Disney wants, which could mean they don't come back.

So, I don't think MK itself has a big capacity problem, but Fantasyland itself did, and that audience is so important for Disney, they thought it made sense to spend money to fix the problem.

flavious27

This. I suspect capacity was exactly what the FLE was for, but I think that these are smaller solutions which could address the MK capacity problem.

Does anyone else think... and this is pure speculature here... that maybe MK's huge attendance over the other parks (some of which are much better equipped to handle it) might have to do with Disney's constant pimping it as the WDW theme park? It seems like every commercial, every internet ad shows only the Magic Kingdom, and never parts of Epcot, DHS, or AK, and I wonder if guests are therefore showing up in droves to what they might consider the sole epitome of WDW.

It is the primary gate, disney is going to always promote it the most.

RSoxNo1

The problem is the capacity increase has to be two fold. An attraction like Expedition Everest if added to the Magic Kingdom isn't going to result in the same spike in attendance as it did in the Animal Kingdom.

If the next major addition is also to the Magic Kingdom I fear that the law of diminishing returns will have the bean counters afraid of investing in any of the other parks. For further clarification, I don't think $300 million spent at the Magic Kingdom will result in more guests than $300 million spent at any of the other three parks.

MarkTwain

The problem is the capacity increase has to be two fold. An attraction like Expedition Everest if added to the Magic Kingdom isn't going to result in the same spike in attendance as it did in the Animal Kingdom.

If the next major addition is also to the Magic Kingdom I fear that the law of diminishing returns will have the bean counters afraid of investing in any of the other parks. For further clarification, I don't think $300 million spent at the Magic Kingdom will result in more guests than $300 million spent at any of the other three parks.

And that brings up the question if whether this was the most effective use of $300 million for WDW, both in terms of ROI and in terms of addressing WDW's long-term problems. Sure, MK capacity and Fantasyland's wait times are problems for the resort, but are they the biggest problems? Some might argue that a Lucasland or Beastly Kingdom might go a lot further at addressing some of WDW's biggest issues )complaints of half-day parks, lack of rides at DHS, thematic coherence in DHS's backlot, lack of dark rides or things to do at night at AK) than FLE would.

All water under the bridge, of course. I'm still very happy WDW was willing to invest in the MK... I just hope they'll be equally happy if they don't get Potter-sized, gate-bursting numbers when they're finished.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom