Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

toolsnspools

I used to work inside the tunnels of Cheyenne Mtn Air Force base in Colorado Springs. (think War Games) People used to ask me all kinds of questions about the place when they found out where I worked. After a while, you start to make stuff up, just to have a little fun with it.

Now imagine you're a WDW bus driver. They must get asked silly questions all the time. I'd be coming up with some awesome rumors to spread too. I bet they get bonus points when their wild rumors end up on these boards.

So KUDOS to the bus driver with the double sized DHS rumor with a side of LotR. You just got recognized. :-D.

PeterAlt

A transportation veteran? Hmm...

Lord of the Rings? No.
Don't be so quick to shoot it down.

We know how Iger loves to do things big. The trend with him so far are long periods of drought with periodic meet and greets followed by once in a blue moon announcements of something big. Everything he said would fit that pattern.

Also, I'm sure Iger by now acknowledges that they made a mistake by letting Universal get Harry Potter. Once you acknowledge such a big blunder, you are conscious about never repeating it. As such, letting Universal get Lord of the Rings, would be a mistake not worth letting history repeat. Naturally, blocking Universal from getting that license by preempting them in getting it for themselves is a logical and natural move. Such an Ace Card would be held in ultra secrecy and thus why this is the first time hearing of it.

Sped2424

Pshh I heard from the bus driver that we are getting a marvel land right behind tommorrowland! also that monsters inc door coaster is finally happening construction starts next week! AND splash mountain is getting redone to be themed to be princess and the frog. He knows his stuff.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Late to the party, but....

1. DHS is going to double in size. Almost

2. Lord of the Rings land is coming to DHS. No

3. Star Wars land is coming to DHS. Yes

4. Cars Land is coming to DHS. No

5. Streets of America will not be demolished. Not yet.
Will this be in actual acreage or just number of attractions?

RSoxNo1

I had a cast members ask us if we knew which of the Magic Kingdom's mountains are the oldest. He correctly told us that it was Space Mountain, but then proceeded to tell us that Space Mountain opened in 1979 (we attempted to correct him to 1975 and he said, "nope, 1979") Thunder opened in 1980 (correct) and Splash was, "the baby" opening in 1982. Just to make sure I heard him correctly (in case he said 1992), I had him repeat that and he once again said 1982.

In short, Cast Members often don't know what they're talking about, even when the information is 100% verifiable. You shouldn't always believe them.

Bryner84

what liability?
funny-motivational-photos-shark.jpg
I have been told I am liable for any actions taking place in my ball pit...

GLaDOS

Don't be so quick to shoot it down.

We know how Iger loves to do things big. The trend with him so far are long periods of drought with periodic meet and greets followed by once in a blue moon announcements of something big. Everything he said would fit that pattern.

Also, I'm sure Iger by now acknowledges that they made a mistake by letting Universal get Harry Potter. Once you acknowledge such a big blunder, you are conscious about never repeating it. As such, letting Universal get Lord of the Rings, would be a mistake not worth letting history repeat. Naturally, blocking Universal from getting that license by preempting them in getting it for themselves is a logical and natural move. Such an Ace Card would be held in ultra secrecy and thus why this is the first time hearing of it.

Disney will never, ever get LOTR. Tolkien's children are still not convinced Universal should get them because their father was fairly adverse to using the characters as marketing tools. But he downright HATED Disney. The man called Walt's works nauseating. If his kids won't give the rights to Universal yet for some of their father's advertising/mass market bias, they certainly aren't going to give it to Disney when he basically hated everything the company stood for.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company#J.R.R._Tolkien_about_Disney

Skibum1970

Plus, I doubt that UNI will give up on LOTR that easily. I would guess that Disney has enough IP, Lucasfilm and Pixar, to create any number of rides. They could make one large Lucasland with an area for Star Wars and an area for Indiana Jones and that would pack the crowds in like mad. The Indy ride in DL is always very busy. Fast passes disappear and average standby is easily 45+ minutes.

ExtinctJenn

Will this be in actual acreage or just number of attractions?
My question is... if it's acreage... where?? DHS is kind of locked by roads isn't it?

raymusiccity

Disney will never, ever get LOTR. Tolkien's children are still not convinced Universal should get them because their father was fairly adverse to using the characters as marketing tools. But he downright HATED Disney. The man called Walt's works nauseating. If his kids won't give the rights to Universal yet for some of their father's advertising/mass market bias, they certainly aren't going to give it to Disney when he basically hated everything the company stood for.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company#J.R.R._Tolkien_about_Disney

Tolkien's children will most likely follow in the footsteps of the latest generation. 'Show me the money!'

It reminds me of the good old Danbury Fair in CT. As soon as Dad passed away, the children made the reasonable assumption that Dad would have really loved a nice new shopping mall. I wonder what his bias was!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 69

Ralphlaw

So they may say, but I imagine they're very quick to cash the royalty checks. Someday, the copyrights will run out, and the trademarks will be for sale, we'll see what happens then. All I know is that I can't think of a single great story with market movie appeal that has NOT been made into a movie. And when Disney or some other entertainment company wants it for attractions, eventually the naysayer authors and/or families reach a deal. Principle only goes so far when true wealth is on the table.

But all of this is so heavy. Let's get back to the toilet talk.

vonpluto

My question is... if it's acreage... where?? DHS is kind of locked by roads isn't it?

from the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan (http://www.rcid.org/FormsReports.aspx):

rcid
by vonpluto, on Flickr

Suitable – Areas given a suitable rating are generally forested uplands, pasture lands, or other undeveloped
sites outside the Conservation areas. There are 2,825 acres (19.9 percent of the undeveloped land) in this
category. Lands classified as suitable are generally above the 100-year flood elevation. However, in a few
instances, corrective drainage improvements would be required prior to construction.
Marginally Suitable – Areas given a marginally suitable rating have identified or recognized constraints for
development. This classification corresponds to wetlands that are above the 100-year flood elevation.
Development in these areas is strongly discouraged and would require mitigation of wetland impacts above
and beyond what is prescribed in the District’s Long Term Permits. There are 2,256 acres in this category or 15.9 percent of the undeveloped land area.
Unsuitable – Land in the unsuitable category has the most restrictive development constraints. It has been
applied to wetlands below the 100-year flood elevation and to all wetland and uplands Conservation Areas.
Most of the acreage is in the Reedy Creek Swamp. Land with this designation is considered unavailable for
development. The 9,093 acres with this designation represent 64.2 percent of the undeveloped land area.

Captain Neo

Is this actually going to happen in the next few years or is it some vague blue sky fantasy that's never gonna come true?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom