Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Plans that, with some paperwork/lobbying/reallocation, could be adjusted. They are not set in stone.
You are correct that they are not set in stone, but much of questionable land is not questionable due to conservation or politics, it is questionable due to the actual site conditions. We can't forget that the vast majority of WDW is reclaimed swamp land. While you can drain off the water, getting rid of millions of years of unstable soil or actually lowering the water table is not as easy. There are good bits of land in WDW that will most likely never be economically viable to build on.

djlaosc

This is a huge question as folks are alreadu wondering if they missed their last shot at it.

We've been booked since May for next November/December, mainly to see the Christmas decorations - we've already missed out on the Lights of Winter so it would be annoying to miss out on the Osborne Lights as well.

If there's no more plans for Cars Land, then there should be no reason to disturb the Streets of America, unless they have plans to replace the Cars Land plans - even so, if Star Wars is the main focus, then surely they can wait till January 2015 to shut down the Streets of America?

JAN J

They will eliminate the backlot tour which opens up TONS of space

It sure would but removing the Backlot Tour would present quite a challenge.

They have tons of movie apparels in display that would need to be relocated. Also a good part of the Backlot Tour goes through casting buildings and I don`t see those going anywhere.

They would also need to rework all the hydraulics used in the show.

So although it could be done, I don`t think we`ll see it ready in the next couple years.

TimeTrip

It sure would but removing the Backlot Tour would present quite a challenge.

They have tons of movie apparels in display that would need to be relocated. Also a good part of the Backlot Tour goes through casting buildings and I don`t see those going anywhere.

They would also need to rework all the hydraulics used in the show.

So although it could be done, I don`t think we`ll see it ready in the next couple years.

I'm pretty sure they're implying a removal of the backlot tour. Not moving it. My guess is they would junk most everything and save "memorable" things as a cutesy reference for some other attraction.

The Visionary Soul

1. DHS is going to double in size.
Double in size of walking space perhaps, but the theme park boundary can't expand much without re-building the entire parking lot.
2. Lord of the Rings land is coming to DHS
Right land, wrong park. Lord of the Rings is coming to Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure, not DHS.
3. Star Wars land is coming to DHS
Yup.
4. Cars Land is coming to DHS
Not Carsland, but maybe a Cars themed attraction, along with some other PIXAR related properties.
5. Streets of America will not be demolished
For now, it's safe... but there are plans that use that area for other things.
1. Soarin is adding scenes not associated with California. He did not specify Soarin Over the World.
Maybe... depends if they get the budget.
2. The screens in Soarin are outdated, and going to be replaced with HD 3D screens to enhance the experience.
Yes, but the projectors, not the screens. And not HD... Soarin' already is in a format better than HD, but not digital. The new format is much better and is digital. Not sure about the 3D, if that's true, I haven't heard about it.

yoyoflamingo

I would love to see Catelyn Stark zombiefied walking around the Studios.

Pure magic:
lady_stoneheart___asoiaf___game_of_thrones_by_azad_injejikian-d5vuvtd.jpg

Angela Lansbury? :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Double in size of walking space perhaps, but the theme park boundary can't expand much without re-building the entire parking lot.

Right land, wrong park. Lord of the Rings is coming to Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure, not DHS.

Yup.

Not Carsland, but maybe a Cars themed attraction, along with some other PIXAR related properties.

Maybe... depends if they get the budget.
Yes, but the projectors, not the screens. And not HD... Soarin' already is in a format better than HD, but not digital. The new format is much better and is digital. Not sure about the 3D, if that's true, I haven't heard about it.
Quite accurate

ExtinctJenn

from the RCID 2020 Comprehensive Plan (http://www.rcid.org/FormsReports.aspx):

rcid
by vonpluto, on Flickr

Suitable – Areas given a suitable rating are generally forested uplands, pasture lands, or other undeveloped
sites outside the Conservation areas. There are 2,825 acres (19.9 percent of the undeveloped land) in this
category. Lands classified as suitable are generally above the 100-year flood elevation. However, in a few
instances, corrective drainage improvements would be required prior to construction.
Marginally Suitable – Areas given a marginally suitable rating have identified or recognized constraints for
development. This classification corresponds to wetlands that are above the 100-year flood elevation.
Development in these areas is strongly discouraged and would require mitigation of wetland impacts above
and beyond what is prescribed in the District’s Long Term Permits. There are 2,256 acres in this category or 15.9 percent of the undeveloped land area.
Unsuitable – Land in the unsuitable category has the most restrictive development constraints. It has been
applied to wetlands below the 100-year flood elevation and to all wetland and uplands Conservation Areas.
Most of the acreage is in the Reedy Creek Swamp. Land with this designation is considered unavailable for
development. The 9,093 acres with this designation represent 64.2 percent of the undeveloped land area.
They will eliminate the backlot tour which opens up TONS of space
Thanks for both the responses. Two comments:

1) Unless I'm reading it wrong, the map essentially says I was correct in my assumption that DHS doesn't have any usable space to expand into (if the expansion was indeed acreage).
2) Two parts to this comment really: a) the comments above said the expansion would be acreage and not removal of Streets of America (hence why I asked) and b) pretty sure removing the backlot tour would not open up a ton of space in it's current state. Years ago when it included Residential Street etc. sure but ultimately the space the backlot tour takes up now really isn't that much and it runs between/around other things. You'd gain some room by removing Catastrophe Canyon for sure but outside of that, there's not much space dedicated to just the tour.

doctornick

Yup.

Not anymore. The east and south east expansion is favourite again.

Okay, some real interesting stuff here. Some questions I have as a follow up....

1. If the walking space of the park is park is expanding, focused on the "east and southeast", does that mean that a Star Wars expansion -- which is obvious for that area of the park -- would be expanding into formerly backstage space or parking? We've seen talk before about possible expansion into the current buildings which house the parade floats as well as talk of expanding into the cast member parking lot and/or onto the access road/toll booth with a new access road being build.

So, is it correct to think that current plans involve a Star Wars expansion involving not just Echo Lake but new space?

2. Would SW use the current Muppetvision space? Or is the Muppets movie and the surrounding area safe?

3. If some Pixar attractions are being considered (yeah!) but not a full Cars Land, any idea what IPs and where they would go? Would Soundstage 1 would be used, as it was formerly planned for the Monsters Inc door coaster. Would a potential Cars attraction be something new or a clone like bringing over Mater's Junkyard Jamboree?

Hopefully, we will get an official announcement soon......

ToTBellHop

Okay, some real interesting stuff here. Some questions I have as a follow up....

1. If the walking space of the park is park is expanding, focused on the "east and southeast", does that mean that a Star Wars expansion -- which is obvious for that area of the park -- would be expanding into formerly backstage space or parking? We've seen talk before about possible expansion into the current buildings which house the parade floats as well as talk of expanding into the cast member parking lot and/or onto the access road/toll booth with a new access road being build.

So, is it correct to think that current plans involve a Star Wars expansion involving not just Echo Lake but new space?

2. Would SW use the current Muppetvision space? Or is the Muppets movie and the surrounding area safe?

3. If some Pixar attractions are being considered (yeah!) but not a full Cars Land, any idea what IPs and where they would go? Would Soundstage 1 would be used, as it was formerly planned for the Monsters Inc door coaster. Would a potential Cars attraction be something new or a clone like bringing over Mater's Junkyard Jamboree?

Hopefully, we will get an official announcement soon......
At Disney's pace, Universal will announce and build both Rivendell AND Mordor before Disney announces its next set of toilets and Dyson Airblades. Who needs:
overviewlrg.jpg
when you can have:
Airblade__65495.1287809153.220.220.JPG
mixed with
?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Kind of. As of very recently, I was told the main approach will curve due east after the toll plaza, then north to meet the current parking lot (which I don't believe will be much impacted if at all unless a parking structured goes green)

As of now also, echo lake should be safe. As should the Muppets area. Main areas are the Idol / Sound buildings, Indy and behind Indy. Also expect the rumoured new exit to Victory Way to be built and the back entrance to indeed be busses only.

And Carsland is indeed dead. Maybe something will help ease its loss though. Guess I should do a full report from my recent visit.

WDWDad13

Kind of. As of very recently, I was told the main approach will curve due east after the toll plaza, then north to meet the current parking lot (which I don't believe will be much impacted if at all unless a parking structured goes green)

As of now also, echo lake should be safe. As should the Muppets area. Main areas are the Idol / Sound buildings, Indy and behind Indy. Also expect the rumoured new exit to Victory Way to be built and the back entrance to indeed be busses only.

And Carsland is indeed dead. Maybe something will help ease its loss though. Guess I should do a full report from my recent visit.

thanks marni... good info.

I'm hoping we'll hear more about what will replace the carlands area attractions that was once on the table. Star Wars will be HUGE (if done correctly), but I think DHS needs more then that. Have you heard any additional rumors of things in addition to SW

The Empress Lilly

As of now also, echo lake should be safe. As should the Muppets area. Main areas are the Idol / Sound buildings, Indy and behind Indy.

Nnnoooooo! Hands off the Idol / Sound building complex! That is gorgeous architecture. I don;t mind them rzaing everything inside, but hands off the outside. And DHS certainly doesn't need a Star Wars land around Echo Lake and touching up all the way to the hub. This area is classic Hollywood. To destroy it would only further diminish DHS' identity, instead of strengthening it.

I think WDW drew the wrong lessons from Potter and Cars Land. Incidentally, no tears shed here about the death of Cars Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom