Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Sped2424

Original Poster
I don't think they close our attraction for 2 months with all the people that want to see it! In DCA is a 5 min queue and in MK is 60 min... o_O
perhaps the refurb won't have to be so long after they know what and how to fix everything they need to do over at DCA.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I can't believe people actually wait an hour to ride The Little Mermaid, maybe excluding first-timers.
I have no idea why that happens either, the most I have ever stood to wait for it was 30 minutes. I am guessing tourist see the castle and expect something more. I know half of the tourist always ask the cast member in fronti if the beauty and the beast restaurant is a ride.

Californian Elitist

I have no idea why that happens either, the most I have ever stood to wait for it was 30 minutes. I am guessing tourist see the castle and expect something more. I know half of the tourist always ask the cast member in fronti if the beauty and the beast restaurant is a ride.

I wouldn't even wait thirty minutes. The most I'm waiting is ten. It's a shame the facade and queue are more interesting than the actual ride.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I wouldn't even wait thirty minutes. The most I'm waiting is ten. It's a shame the facade and queue are more interesting than the actual ride.
It is honestly one of my favorite queues in magic kingdom, for me it feels very much like pirates and I love that. This ride should have been the it dark ride for fantasyland, on par with pirates or haunted mansion but it just isn't.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can't believe people actually wait an hour to ride The Little Mermaid, maybe excluding first-timers.
While 60+ minute waits sometimes happen that isn't the norm. Outside of holiday season and maybe the peak summer weeks Mermaid is more like 30 minutes and in low crowd season it can be a walk on still. When Mermaid has 60 minute waits so do Pooh, Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear. The park is just jammed with people. MK in Florida draws over twice as many people as DCA so waits can get a lot longer for everything. The other reason waits are so long is that it's the newest ride in the most popular park in Florida. WDW isn't a locals park so even now over a year after opening a lot of regular visitors are still riding it for the first time. My trip last November was my first time riding it and it had been open over a year.

IMHO the ride itself has flaws, but the overall experience is still on par with Peter Pan and better than Pooh and is also better than the closed rides Snow White and Toad. It's nowhere near on the level of Pirates or HM but I put it near the top of the list of Fantasyland dark rides. Pan, Snow White and Toad all had/have nostalgia going for them since I have memories of them as a kid.

msteel

I opted to skip the ride in January, so I have never ridden it. My wife however, did ride. I would put her in the tourist category, though a discerning tourist. She doesn't read here, and I don't think I had conveyed to her the generally negative opinion one finds here.

So, her reaction was (and I quote):
"Cheesy, slapped-together...I kept hearing things for what was ahead or behind of me, but not things that pertained to me."

Californian Elitist

While 60+ minute waits sometimes happen that isn't the norm. Outside of holiday season and maybe the peak summer weeks Mermaid is more like 30 minutes and in low crowd season it can be a walk on still. When Mermaid has 60 minute waits so do Pooh, Jungle Cruise and Buzz Lightyear. The park is just jammed with people. MK in Florida draws over twice as many people as DCA so waits can get a lot longer for everything. The other reason waits are so long is that it's the newest ride in the most popular park in Florida. WDW isn't a locals park so even now over a year after opening a lot of regular visitors are still riding it for the first time. My trip last November was my first time riding it and it had been open over a year.

IMHO the ride itself has flaws, but the overall experience is still on par with Peter Pan and better than Pooh and is also better than the closed rides Snow White and Toad. It's nowhere near on the level of Pirates or HM but I put it near the top of the list of Fantasyland dark rides. Pan, Snow White and Toad all had/have nostalgia going for them since I have memories of them as a kid.

I know WDW doesn't have as many Fantasyland-style dark rides, but Mermaid is my least favorite of the nine at the DLR. I like Pooh more.

Californian Elitist

Agree. In DL, we walked right on after the first show of WOC ended. Even when its crowded there, we still didn't have to wait. In WDW, its a different story.

I understand the logistics are different, but sheesh. Even thirty minutes is crazy to me. Maybe I'm being unfair and biased because I don't really like the ride, personally. What are the wait times like for Pan in Florida?

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
That's another thing, why do so many of the rides at WDW have the Fastpass option?
This is all new with the FP+. This is another thing DL has better then WDW. You can still use the paper FPs in DL and DCA. Having more rides in DCA and WDW (and so close together) then all four WDW parks combined makes the lines shorter in California. Another plus for DL!!!

Californian Elitist

This is all new with the FP+. This is another thing DL has better then WDW. You can still use the paper FPs in DL and DCA. Having more rides in DCA and WDW (and so close together) then all four WDW parks combined makes the lines shorter in California. Another plus for DL!!!

FP+ is really the only thing I'm dreading for my upcoming trip. We have to wisely choose which attractions we want, but we've never been, so how are we supposed to choose? I'm going to need suggestions from you guys.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The ride is an omni-mover with huge capacity. According to the original article posted it can eat 2,000 people per hour or 25,000 people in an average day. That's more than an average days attendance at DCA so unless the ride has to make temporary stops it should in theory never have a wait. At MK in Florida the average daily attendance exceeds 25,000 and at busy times is more than double that. Also, as @marni1971 pointed out it has FP. The combination leads to longer wait times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom