Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Californian Elitist

Oh see I'm fully admitting to the snorting and wondering if that's why I don't notice that stuff. I will however say that I am noticing stuff like that all the time on Imagination so it was probably more the result of being fascinated with our first experience on the ride that caused us to not notice it on Mermaid. Of course now I'll probably be looking for it in December and paying more attention to what's intruding on the story. Thanks everyone. :arghh: LOL!

Don't worry, Walt Disney was always looking for things that could be wrong in Disneyland and was constantly trying to come up with ways to improve his park.

Californian Elitist

here the attraction can sometimes reach up to 70 minutes. 70!

I know! I've seen photos of the wait times for Mermaid in MK and I'm always shocked. I guess you could say FP helps the wait times extend, but not that far! I would NEVER wait that long for that ride, unless my future kids beg me to go on. Even then, I'm going to try my best to talk them out of it haha. As long as the wait times in DCA continue to hover between walk on and ten minutes, everything will be okay lol.

Seventy minutes... Wow. That's usually how long the wait is for Space Mountain out here in CA, between 45 and 70 or 80 minutes.

Mr Bill

Over at DCA, Mermaid is a new ride along with the major E-ticket Radiator Springs Racers and the other smaller Cars Land attractions. In the Magic Kingdom, Mermaid is the new ride. The only new ride (not counting an extra Dumbo) in the park's massively hyped expansion. Once the new wears off, I suspect the crowds will be closer to Spaceship Earth's.

ExtinctJenn

Over at DCA, Mermaid is a new ride along with the major E-ticket Radiator Springs Racers and the other smaller Cars Land attractions. In the Magic Kingdom, Mermaid is the new ride. The only new ride (not counting an extra Dumbo) in the park's massively hyped expansion. Once the new wears off, I suspect the crowds will be closer to Spaceship Earth's.
That's an excellent point. There isn't anything else completely new at MK attraction wise. I wonder if when the Mine Train opens it'll decrease the wait time for Mermaid a bit. It could have the opposite impact though in that people who probably aren't even aware Mermaid has opened (if you don't head back that way it's blocked by the Mine Train obviously) will suddenly find it as such. Interesting to see as time goes on how it changes.

Captain Chaos

When you ride Mermaid, it's painfully obvious that the budget for it was cut. Cheap plastic everywhere, fish glued to walls and mobiles, no attempt to hide things like that big black pole in Ariel's back...honestly...does TDO have a low opinion of guests' intelligence or something? So sad...
Sad... bad... all the same... Mermaid was a waste of space and money... The ride is plastic... So much potential wasted.... Did Disney forget how to do dark rides? Sure looks that way with Mermaid...

Captain Chaos

Jeeze. I must be absolutely blinded by the high I get off that pixie dust. Myself, DS and DH were all blown away by this attraction and loved every minute of it. I think the key is I was paying attention to the story and the experience of the ride itself and letting myself be immersed in it all. I am sure if I was looking around at the walls, ceiling, etc. I'd have noticed. I guess it's kind of like going to watch someone like David Copperfield... if I spent all my time looking for the signs of how he did his tricks I'd miss out on the show.
Paying attention to what story? Sure wasn't the story of The Little Mermaid... One key thing to Disney's dark rides was the retelling of the story... Mermaid fails to do that... And you don't have to be looking for the issues with the ride... They are so noticeable, that is looks tacky... Very cheap, but lately, this is what I expect from Disney, at least in WDW... Cheap, tacky, cheap, oh, did I say cheap?

raymusiccity

Paying attention to what story? Sure wasn't the story of The Little Mermaid... One key thing to Disney's dark rides was the retelling of the story... Mermaid fails to do that... And you don't have to be looking for the issues with the ride... They are so noticeable, that is looks tacky... Very cheap, but lately, this is what I expect from Disney, at least in WDW... Cheap, tacky, cheap, oh, did I say cheap?

Gee, You can go through each and every attraction and look in the opposite direction for 'flaws'. The rides are designed to entertain, not challenge you to look for the wires and gears. Stare at the ceiling while you're on all of the rides and report back to us about how you didn't experience any magic. I know, people just 'happen to spot things'. Classic pleasing some of the people some of the time.

Captain Chaos

Gee, You can go through each and every attraction and look in the opposite direction for 'flaws'. The rides are designed to entertain, not challenge you to look for the wires and gears. Stare at the ceiling while you're on all of the rides and report back to us about how you didn't experience any magic. I know, people just 'happen to spot things'. Classic pleasing some of the people some of the time.
Hey don't blame me for Disney going cheap... The flaws are painfully obvious... You don't even have to look for them, they pop right out at you... They did this ride on the cheap and it shows... But, that is what you can expect in WDW... cheap and tacky...

Buck

Hey don't blame me for Disney going cheap... The flaws are painfully obvious... You don't even have to look for them, they pop right out at you... They did this ride on the cheap and it shows... But, that is what you can expect in WDW... cheap and tacky...

I love it how the same people who claim it costed more than all of Harry potter land try to also say it was done on the cheap. Can't have it both ways uni bois.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yeah, but mermaid opened well before carsland and even from opening weekend couldn't maintain big waits. It's capacity has always far exceeded its draw.

I personally like the attraction.. not as much as say Pan... but I think there is way too much armchair imagineering associated with it myself.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I love it how the same people who claim it costed more than all of Harry potter land try to also say it was done on the cheap. Can't have it both ways uni bois.
Oh please....

Uni Bois as you put it in this context know their facts. Mermaid was grossly over budgeted due to politics and red tape talked about plenty of times before. Its should and could have cost half if not a third of what was paid..

To have a fully blown E ticket with none of the issues stated it would have cost even more.

Buck

Pics or is a popular message board phrase when an op refers to a woman without posting pics. No offense intended and sorry it came off that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

the-reason14

It's good up until the under the sea segment. It had the potential to be a HM or Pirates type of ride with it being an omnimover, but as soon as you get to the under the sea part, you see that it's just like every other fantasyland dark ride.

ToTBellHop

It's good up until the under the sea segment. It had the potential to be a HM or Pirates type of ride with it being an omnimover, but as soon as you get to the under the sea part, you see that it's just like every other fantasyland dark ride.
It does have a good opening. And the queue is gorgeous. Then it implodes on itself and next thing you know, you are seeing Dueling Dumbos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom