Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Lord Pheonix

so we've graduated from building great high quality, high budget rides and attrations but seeing them break down over time due to no maintance to building poor quality low budget rides and not maintaning them either. great.

a few days at universal during a disney vacation is beginning to seem less and less sacriligious..........

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From what I understand it had a less extensive refurb already, so 2 refurbs in the first 2 years.

Are we talking about the MK one? I know DCA is getting it's second refurb, but didn't think MK had one already. The first refurb at DCA eliminated the "ice cream hair" and switched the computer animated material to hand drawn. I believe the MK one opened with both of the changes already in place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are we talking about the MK one? I know DCA is getting it's second refurb, but didn't think MK had one already. The first refurb at DCA eliminated the "ice cream hair" and switched the computer animated material to hand drawn. I believe the MK one opened with both of the changes already in place.

Could have been the DCA version. I just remember reading somewhere about a refurb and thinking it was crazy since the ride was so new.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Exactly^ I am more than thankful that this thing keeps getting refurbs, the more they try to fix all the mistakes they made the better. That to me is something to be proud of on their part, yes they messed up, but they are willing to do something about it and acknowledge that they did. I doubt whoever designed this ride is going to get to direct any other project any time soon.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There are a couple cool things about this attraction, nothing ground breaking though (which is what I hoped for). I think it really got over-hyped due to some of the earlier concepts which showed how great it could have been. And really, it should have been. Even just using an overhead track ride system would have made a huge difference. But with that being said, I don't necessarily think it is a terrible attraction, just not what we all expected. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Slowjack

FP+ is really the only thing I'm dreading for my upcoming trip. We have to wisely choose which attractions we want, but we've never been, so how are we supposed to choose? I'm going to need suggestions from you guys.
Yeah, this is one of the real problems of Fastpass, which Fastpass Plus makes even worse: potentially endless self-debates on strategy. At least with Fastpass Classic, it sometimes worked liked this: go to ride X, see the huge line, decide to get a Fastpass and come back later.

Now, even as a day guest, you need to make guess right when you arrive, and for resort guests, you'll feel the need to make your guesses months in advance. I was at the parks a few weeks ago during the last switchovers top the new system at Epcot and the Studios, and in both cases two out of our three guesses were "wrong," that is, rides that turned out to have such short standby lines that the passes were a waste. Given the extra time of fooling around with Fastpass, getting back to the rides in the return window, etc., I'm not sure Fastpass Plus was not even a net loss. Fastpass Minus?

And I don't know how I could have made better guesses. Here on this thread, others are saying that the Little Mermaid line should be short outside of peak times. Makes sense, but I was there mid-January and saw an 80 minute line. Later in the week in was 15. When you are making your Fastpass Plus choices, and you want to ride that ride, whether you pick that for a Fastpass or not you feel you're rolling dice.

Slowjack

I read a lot of these posts and shake my head because I still think its the best ride in Fantasyland at WDW. What's crazy is it could have been even better. But, that's my opinion.
I think the ride is pretty good. Maybe the queue is the biggest problem. Most Fantasyland rides are just basic switchbacks, and even the Pooh queue is just a switchback with some doodads along the way. The Mermaid queue is so good it sets expectations the ride doesn't match.

ExtinctJenn

I think the ride is pretty good. Maybe the queue is the biggest problem. Most Fantasyland rides are just basic switchbacks, and even the Pooh queue is just a switchback with some doodads along the way. The Mermaid queue is so good it sets expectations the ride doesn't match.
That's possibly the best way I've seen this put. I love the ride myself. It's not ground breaking or earth shattering (though Ursula is damn impressive in my opinion) but it's fun and even my son loves it. In particular we love the effect of going under the water. Simple yet it works! The queue however is pretty dang cool and you're right, it maybe is setting an expectation that the ride will impress you as much as the queue did. That said though, the two times we've been on it we've barely got to experience the queue. The first time we got on just as it opened and there was no wait. The second time we had a FP+ selection and walked right on as well.

Mr Bill

I read a lot of these posts and shake my head because I still think its the best ride in Fantasyland at WDW. What's crazy is it could have been even better. But, that's my opinion.
I'm not sure how I'd rank the four current Fantasyland dark rides, but if I took nostalgia and sentimentality out of the equation, Mermaid and Pooh would probably be 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 1st. They both benefit from being decades newer than Small World and Peter Pan's Flight, though. A Peter Pan or it's a small world designed and built with 2012 technology would likely blow Mermaid out of the water though. Hypotheticals are fun and that pun was totally unintentional.

The queue for Mermaid is certainly very well done but it almost seems wasted. By tacking FP onto the ride, a large portion of the guests never see most of the elaborate queue, and many of the ones who do come during times when the wait is very short and they end up just walking past everything. Of course, the ride doesn't actually need to have Fastpass, but FP+ needs rides like Mermaid to offer FP+.

SecondDaughter

Yeah, it would have been cool to get this version. But even at this point they seemed to struggle with the ending since it's out of sequence, they have Kiss the Girl is after Ursula is defeated.

Oh my gosh, I wish that WAS the ride! I haven't been on the new one, but that looks awesome!

jlsHouston

I still haven't ridden this ride...one of the reasons I have to keep visiting. I never get everything seen and done. I think I looked for it once and couldn't find it....I get lost in FL now...I have difficulty making my way to BOG....I gotta keep looking up...

ratherbeinwdw

I still haven't ridden this ride...one of the reasons I have to keep visiting. I never get everything seen and done. I think I looked for it once and couldn't find it....I get lost in FL now...I have difficulty making my way to BOG....I gotta keep looking up...
It's to the right before you get to the new stone entrance. BOG is down and past IASW. It's before you get there.

ExtinctJenn

It's near the carousel ?
Behind the carousel are the new walls into the new area of Fantasyland. You head through those (to the left of 7DMT typically as they occasionally close the other entrance when working on things) and head toward BOG (Beast's Castle up in the distance). Walk past BOG and Gaston's Tavern (big fountain with statue of Gaston) and you'll see lighter toned stone structures and a large shipwreck with Ariel on it (entrance to Mermaid). If you start seeing circus themed stuff on your left you've gone too far.

jlsHouston

Behind the carousel are the new walls into the new area of Fantasyland. You head through those (to the left of 7DMT typically as they occasionally close the other entrance when working on things) and head toward BOG (Beast's Castle up in the distance). Walk past BOG and Gaston's Tavern (big fountain with statue of Gaston) and you'll see lighter toned stone structures and a large shipwreck with Ariel on it (entrance to Mermaid). If you start seeing circus themed stuff on your left you've gone too far.
Geez it's no wonder I can never find the place. If the castle didn't stick out above the horizon I would never locate it......or maybe it's just me...I get so turned around in FL now. I can find my way in and out on IASW side and most of the time by Speedway. But once inside FL I can't hardly find any of the new stuff without the map in hand....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom