Little Mermaid to receive Updates?

Sped2424

Original Poster
So we all know mermaid has problems, but who is at fault for em? is it poor budgeting from the execs, or is it imagineering themselves? I like to think a little bit of both. Even with budget concerns a good artist, creator, etc should know how to work and make a good product with those limitations set.

flynnibus

Premium Member
beauty over function... it's a problem imagineering has been repeatedly showing for some time now. They think if they make something all intrincately detailed.. they can sit and make videos about all the detail and everyone will be woed. While on the 'inside' they've missed the core things that make an attraction good or not.

They've been making airhead.. great to look at, but stupid on the inside.

Sped2424

Original Poster
beauty over function... it's a problem imagineering has been repeatedly showing for some time now. They think if they make something all intrincately detailed.. they can sit and make videos about all the detail and everyone will be woed. While on the 'inside' they've missed the core things that make an attraction good or not.

They've been making airhead.. great to look at, but stupid on the inside.
Clearly they are capable of some good attractions with lots of detail and great pacing Mystic manor, Radiator springs Racers. Both of those rides are able to create a feeling that you left the real world behind. I wonder who dropped the ball on this attraction, not only the story that is being told weak (To many cuts, can't be just a simple rehash of the film) the set designs were also poorly thought out. they should have known the difficulties that came with doing an attraction but not making it a dark ride. That means everything in that attraction has to look real under a microscope no slots in an octopuses arms, no angle should you be able to see a crane, mechanism or disco ball for that matter. In haunted mansion leota's room almost all the instruments are held by something (I am guessing wire) we can't see that thankfully but imagine if you could, it would kill the experience. I just can't believe they built the final product and said we did it we are done. Here is a list of fixes that need to happen that are realistic.
1. Adjust lighting in the under the sea room so guests can not see the ceiling/catwalks, or for that matter the fish on a cylinder. Enclose the disco ball or get rid of it, way to visible
2. Enclose the entrance to Ursula's lair on the right hand side, guests can currently see a ladder leading to the catwalks.
3.Hide the lights in the scene where Ariel Kisses Eric where the spell is broken I am very aware that what is laid out in front of me is a set.
4. Maybe a projection effect of Ursula sinking with the boat in the background instead of the strange cardboard cutout.

Mr Bill

Yeah, but mermaid opened well before carsland and even from opening weekend couldn't maintain big waits. It's capacity has always far exceeded its draw.

I personally like the attraction.. not as much as say Pan... but I think there is way too much armchair imagineering associated with it myself.
True, I'll admit I'm not as familiar with Disneyland's crowd patterns as I am with WDW's. I'm sure a number of other factors contribute to the difference in demand. Maybe the new wears off faster in California with allegedly more locals in the parks? Just being in a park with ten million fewer guests annually?

There's definitely a lot of armchair imagineering going on with Mermaid. I've certainly done it myself. The exposed ceiling in the Under the Sea scene drives me nuts. At the end of the day though it's a Fantasyland dark ride and when you hold the ride to that standard I think it stacks up pretty well. Could WDI have done better? Absolutely. Is it a disaster? Hardly.

Californian Elitist

True, I'll admit I'm not as familiar with Disneyland's crowd patterns as I am with WDW's. I'm sure a number of other factors contribute to the difference in demand. Maybe the new wears off faster in California with allegedly more locals in the parks? Just being in a park with ten million fewer guests annually?

Mermaid has never, ever been popular in DCA.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Right from the opening week it couldn't hold the lines. It wasn't a wow attraction and DLR's small size means no one is 'stuck' riding it because there is nothing else available. Any attraction that doesn't open as an E-Ticket level of attraction gets ripped lately. Anything that resembles a dark ride has all kinds of expectations attached to it and will never get a fair shake because no new ride will have the nostalgia that the originals have.

There's definitely a lot of armchair imagineering going on with Mermaid. I've certainly done it myself. The exposed ceiling in the Under the Sea scene drives me nuts. At the end of the day though it's a Fantasyland dark ride and when you hold the ride to that standard I think it stacks up pretty well. Could WDI have done better? Absolutely. Is it a disaster? Hardly.

I think the problem with the ceiling in that room is they forgot to focus the viewers field of view elsewhere. With all the action in that room up high, your eyes are drawn up.. right up to the infrastructure. They forgot those movie rules...

ExtinctJenn

Once again the name calling and opinion bashing begins. Is it not possible to state your disagreement with someone's point of view without this crap? Enough already. A forum is a place to have discussions and share opinions, whether they differ or not, not bash someone else's opinion and/or intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love it how the same people who claim it costed more than all of Harry potter land try to also say it was done on the cheap. Can't have it both ways uni bois.

Oh yes it can - nothing in TWDC happens without Division A paying Division B and then B pays A, After all this laundering of cash there is very little left for the actual attraction.

Communicore

When you ride Mermaid, it's painfully obvious that the budget for it was cut. Cheap plastic everywhere, fish glued to walls and mobiles, no attempt to hide things like that big black pole in Ariel's back...honestly...does TDO have a low opinion of guests' intelligence or something? So sad...
I agree, this ride seems TDO'ish and it does not appear classic at all! It reeks artificialness!!!

Sped2424

Original Poster
I like the Voyage of the Little Mermaid in DHS. I think it's a clever show with all of the puppets and special effects. Mermaid in MK? MEH.... I know they are 2 different type of ride/ show.
Its funny you mention that, because the lighting and set up of the mermaid theater makes me feel like I seriously just ended up underwater, from the sound of the waves to the dim lighting, even to feeling of damp air. Its crazy how these two are years apart, yet the showmanship and art direction of the older one TRUMPS the new attraction. Projected bubbles and air don't make me feel like I went under the sea. But when I walk into that theater and hear the waves and squint my eyes it feels other worldly even the ocean water effect is still pretty good, but its all about when these were made. What teams were behind them and the people willing to pay money to make it happen.

MOXOMUMD

Its funny you mention that, because the lighting and set up of the mermaid theater makes me feel like I seriously just ended up underwater, from the sound of the waves to the dim lighting, even to feeling of damp air. Its crazy how these two are years apart, yet the showmanship and art direction of the older one TRUMPS the new attraction. Projected bubbles and air don't make me feel like I went under the sea. But when I walk into that theater and hear the waves and squint my eyes it feels other worldly even the ocean water effect is still pretty good, but its all about when these were made. What teams were behind them and the people willing to pay money to make it happen.
I agree. Though riding in Nemo's clamshell I feel a part of the story, riding in Mermaid's clamshell I feel like I'm just riding past lots of scenery. Don't get me wrong, I like Mermaid, I just thought it was a little underwhelming.

PolynesianPrincess

When I last rode it everything was working properly but there was an extreme amount of flash photo taking. From what I remember there wasn't any announcement being made about it, so that might be something to add to the refurb. People will still do it, but it would be better than nothing. I remember some of the people taking flash pictures were taking selfies, and not even pictures of the ride. :banghead:

I agree with you on this one!! Sooooo many flash photos on this ride! I even yelled at a group next to us to stop taking flash photos and they just looked at me weird and kept taking them. It really is so distracting. The only ride I have ever heard this enforced on during the ride itself was the Great Movie Ride and that was because the guide told them TWICE no flash photos. They should have something at the begining or announced as people wait in the queue. I like how the haunted mansion has the annoucement right after your board your Doom Buggy.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I agree. Though riding in Nemo's clamshell I feel a part of the story, riding in Mermaid's clamshell I feel like I'm just riding past lots of scenery. Don't get me wrong, I like Mermaid, I just thought it was a little underwhelming.

Completely agree. I wish they had went more POTC with this ride. My favorite thing about pirates is how you feel like your really in the scene or really outside under the stars but your indoors. Why couldn't they make it feel more immersed like that? I would have loved to see larger scenes than a room of animatronics singing songs.

Bocabear

The settings are just too close to the ride track to have any sort of staging. Unlike Pirates where there are cavernous show rooms... you barely hear 2 words of dialog before you are already past the scene..like the first scene with Scuttle....and yeah, the flash photo thing is getting out of hand on all rides... last time i went on Pirates it was more like Paparazzi of the Caribbean....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom