Lindsay Lohan - Out ?

hcswingfield

I've always thought Lindsay was quite a talented actress. I hope she gets the demons exorcised and goes back to making good movies. And I hope her partner gives her some support for making wiser choices.

sbkline

while we're on the subject, who thinks walt would be happy about having a gay week at disney world?

As with all figures who are revered within a particular group, each side is going to claim that he represents their ideals. For many on my side of the fence on the homosexual issue, Walt was an upright, moral and godly man and the epitomy of family values and, in the words of my Dad, "Walt would be rolling over in his grave" in regards to Disney's current stance on gays.

On the other hand, those on the pro-gay side of the fence will argue that Walt was all about progress and inclusion and he, naturally, would be all in favor of dignifying homosexual relationships.

While I can see him going either way on it, personally, I really don't care what Walt would think about it. While I would certainly prefer that he would share my view on it, ultimately, it's irrelevant because he's just a man, and since he's been dead for over 40 years, it's a moot point anyway. But I have strong opinions on what the Bible says on the subject, and that's what matters to me, not what Walt would think. ;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Which team she bats for shouldnt be news worthy, the fact that shes a skanky moose who hasnt made a decent film in a while is the only issue.

Pampered privileged sad act.

IMHO of course

Figment571

while we're on the subject, who thinks walt would be happy about having a gay week at disney world?

Personally I believe that many people find it offensive in the sense that it is very blatant and it is in a family park, whereas many people today still find homosexuality to be a moral wrong. Walt himself was a family man and back then and even today homosexuality is not seen as a traditional family value; also he was known as a conservative, so I don't think he would care for it much.

sbkline

The most fundamental traditional family value is to love and respect every member of the family, unconditionally.

It never ceases to amaze me how people confuse unconditional love with approval of behavior.

I agree 100% that we should love our family members unconditionally...and everyone else for that matter. The Bible tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves and to love our enemies as well. So we are to love our family and our enemies and everyone else in between. But love of those people is not the same as approval of behavior.

If my son were a meth addict, I would love him unconditionally, but I would abhor his behavior (in this case, the meth addiction).

If my son were a violent racist, I would love him unconditionally, but I would abhor his attitudes and what he is doing.

If my son were a serial killer, I would still love him unconditionally, but I would abhor what he is doing.

If my son were grown and married and he and his wife were engaging in a "swinger" life with other married couples, I would still love my son unconditionally. Yet I would abhor his lifestyle.

In all these cases, I would love my son, and I would pray for him and hope with all my heart that he would be straightened out and get back on the right path. You see, love is unconditional, that's true. But unconditional love does not require acceptance of lifestyle, nor does it require approval of behavior.

If my son were gay, I would still love him. Nothing would ever change that. Yet I would pray for him that his lifestyle would change and that he would get on the right path because I believe with all my heart that homosexuality is not acceptable behavior and that is it another form of sexual sin...regardless of how unpopular this belief may be.

Many of the posters here are parents and can identify with having to discipline their children for engaging in improper behavior. You discipline your kids because there is something about their behavior and/or attitude that you find unacceptable and in need of changing. So does it mean that you don't love your child since you don't approve of something that he/she is doing at the time? Cetainly not. You continue to love your child even though you disapprove of his behavior....even when you disapprove to the extent that you have to punish him. And you punish him BECAUSE you love him, not in spite of your love for him.

Where we ever got this absurd notion that loving someone means that you have to approve of anything they do, I have no idea.

Wilt Dasney

If my son were gay, I would still love him. Nothing would ever change that. Yet I would pray for him that his lifestyle would change and that he would get on the right path.
Would you take advantage of every opportunity to reiterate that you disapprove of his behavior, even after your opinion had been made crystal clear to him multiple times over?

It's one thing to say you love a person unconditionally, but when all you seem to be interested in talking about is how much you disapprove of their behavior, it (in my mind) undercuts your insistence that your heart is full of love. Love doesn't harp on the same topics endlessly, even if it unshakably believes it's right. At least that's my interpretation of what Paul wrote in Corinthians.

I give you credit for sticking to your guns when you're outnumbered here, Steve, but I don't get your need to constantly pop in and make it clear you don't approve of homosexuality every time the topic is mentioned. We all get it. Saying "I love you, but..." 100 times over just makes it seem like what FOLLOWS the "but" is a lot more important to you than what PRECEDES it.

Sorry to make this such a personal post, because I really don't believe in trying to call people out publicly, but you seem pretty vocal yourself, so hopefully you don't take offense.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
1641720_500-1.jpg

yankspy

The most fundamental traditional family value is to love and respect every member of the family, unconditionally.

It never ceases to amaze me how people confuse unconditional love with approval of behavior.

I agree 100% that we should love our family members unconditionally...and everyone else for that matter. The Bible tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves and to love our enemies as well. So we are to love our family and our enemies and everyone else in between. But love of those people is not the same as approval of behavior.

If my son were a meth addict, I would love him unconditionally, but I would abhor his behavior (in this case, the meth addiction).

If my son were a violent racist, I would love him unconditionally, but I would abhor his attitudes and what he is doing.

If my son were a serial killer, I would still love him unconditionally, but I would abhor what he is doing.

If my son were grown and married and he and his wife were engaging in a "swinger" life with other married couples, I would still love my son unconditionally. Yet I would abhor his lifestyle.

In all these cases, I would love my son, and I would pray for him and hope with all my heart that he would be straightened out and get back on the right path. You see, love is unconditional, that's true. But unconditional love does not require acceptance of lifestyle, nor does it require approval of behavior.

If my son were gay, I would still love him. Nothing would ever change that. Yet I would pray for him that his lifestyle would change and that he would get on the right path.

Many of the posters here are parents and can identify with having to discipline their children for engaging in improper behavior. You discipline your kids because there is something about their behavior and/or attitude that you find unacceptable and in need of changing. So does it mean that you don't love your child since you don't approve of something that he/she is doing at the time? Cetainly not. You continue to love your child even though you disapprove of his behavior....even when you disapprove to the extent that you have to punish him. And you punish him BECAUSE you love him, not in spite of your love for him.

Where we ever got this absurd notion that loving someone means that you have to approve of anything they do, I have no idea.
The exact statement did include the word respect as well as love. If you deem someone's actions improper in this case is it still possible to respect them?

P.S. Sorry to make you think on your birthday.:lol:

Vernonpush

Original Poster

If my son were gay, I would still love him. Nothing would ever change that. Yet I would pray for him that his lifestyle would change and that he would get on the right path because I believe with all my heart that homosexuality is not acceptable behavior and that is it another form of sexual sin...regardless of how unpopular this belief may be.

And when you punish your child because of who he is (being gay is not really a choice), then your child will become psycologically confused. Constantly punishing a child for being themselves ultimately leads to suicide attempts.

sbkline

Would you take advantage of every opportunity to reiterate that you disapprove of his behavior, even after your opinion had been made crystal clear to him multiple times over?

It's one thing to say you love a person unconditionally, but when all you seem to be interested in talking about is how much you disapprove of their behavior, it (in my mind) undercuts your insistence that your heart is full of love. Love doesn't harp on the same topics endlessly, even if it unshakably believes it's right. At least that's my interpretation of what Paul wrote in Corinthians.

I give you credit for sticking to your guns when you're outnumbered here, Steve, but I don't get your need to constantly pop in and make it clear you don't approve of homosexuality every time the topic is mentioned. We all get it. Saying "I love you, but..." 100 times over just makes it seem like what FOLLOWS the "but" is a lot more important to you than what PRECEDES it.

Sorry to make this such a personal post, because I really don't believe in trying to call people out publicly, but you seem pretty vocal yourself, so hopefully you don't take offense.

No, I don't take offense. And no, I doubt I would reiterate over and over my opinions if my son were in that situation. But I guess I won't know until if and when I am faced with that.

However, I think the difference here is that this is a messageboard where we discuss opinions. And I don't open threads just to make known my thoughts on the issue. Nor do I make a habit to divert topics to that issue just so I can once again voice my opinion on it. But when someone else opens a thread to make known their own approval of it (as is the case here) then I deem it fair game to post my disagreement. Of course, I know my own faults well enough to admit that I am sometimes guilty of harping on something too much, and perhaps I am guilty of that when this topic comes up. But it just seems to me that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it is okay for someone to open a thread in order to draw attention to someone coming out of the closet, and to draw attention to his own opinion that this is great and wonderful and that this person should be supported, then it seems fair to me for those of us who disagree to be able to make our points as well.

sbkline

The exact statement did include the word respect as well as love. If you deem someone's actions improper in this case is it still possible to respect them?

P.S. Sorry to make you think on your birthday.:lol:

Why not? I can show people respect and treat them with respect even though I find their personal behavior inappropriate. Let's take some other things, for example, that I find sexually sinful. ______ before marraige, cohabitation before marraige, sexual promiscuity, etc. I disapprove of all of these things, but the vast majority of people that I know and work with engage in either ______ before marraige (with a committed partner), or promiscuity (such as casual ______ with various people). I still respect them as people and can laugh with them in the break room and work with them and kid around with them and everything. Yes, I disapprove of what they do in their private lives, but I still respect them as people. And I know some homosexuals as well, and I still respect them, even though I have strong beliefs against that lifestyle.

And no need to apologize about making me think on my birthday. It doesn't hurt for me to think on one day out of the year. :D:lol:

Shere_Khan

I myself am a Christian. I used to have the same views on homosexuality as most Christians seem to.
But here is where I struggle...

I had a wonderful friend in college. He was gay although he had never had a boyfriend or had actually went through with the sexual actions. He at this point just had the feelings and knew he was gay.
Growing up and going through school, he hated how he felt. He knew he was different, he felt that he was wrong, but no matter how he tried could not erase these feelings. He went as far as trying to commit suicide rather then admitting his feelings and being himself. He was so terrified of what his parents might think, or his friends, and everyone in general.
I do think that there are certain individuals who choose to be gay or bi because they may be looking for something different or looking for the shock value, but there are also these instances like my friend. He obviously wanted to die instead of being himself and telling others his feelings. Explain to me how that is a choice?
Now, he can of course choose to go through with the actions, but the feelings I'm not so sure.

It is just an issue that I really stuggle with understanding.
I agree whole heartedly with VernonPush however, had my friend's parents punished him for these feelings, he may very well have tried suicide a second time and succeeded. And I would never have met such a wonderful, loving person as he is.

It is really very difficult.

sbkline

I myself am a Christian. I used to have the same views on homosexuality as most Christians seem to.
But here is where I struggle...

I had a wonderful friend in college. He was gay although he had never had a boyfriend or had actually went through with the sexual actions. He at this point just had the feelings and knew he was gay.
Growing up and going through school, he hated how he felt. He knew he was different, he felt that he was wrong, but no matter how he tried could not erase these feelings. He went as far as trying to commit suicide rather then admitting his feelings and being himself. He was so terrified of what his parents might think, or his friends, and everyone in general.
I do think that there are certain individuals who choose to be gay or bi because they may be looking for something different or looking for the shock value, but there are also these instances like my friend. He obviously wanted to die instead of being himself and telling others his feelings. Explain to me how that is a choice?

It is just an issue that I really stuggle with understanding.
I agree whole heartedly with VernonPush however, had my friend's parents punished him for these feelings, he may very well have tried suicide a second time and succeeded. And I would never have met such a wonderful, loving person as he is.

It is really very difficult.

I'm not sure I agree completely with those who make the whole issue about "choice". This thread isn't really the place to discuss it, since there is a no religion rule on these boards. But in order to understand my thoughts on the issue, you first need to understand the whole concept of "original sin" and how, according to this doctrine, we all inherit a fallen nature from birth, through no choice of our own. If you are interested in my thoughts on that, you can PM me, and hopefully I can get back with you on it over the weekend or the beginning of the week.

Wilt Dasney

No, I don't take offense. And no, I doubt I would reiterate over and over my opinions if my son were in that situation. But I guess I won't know until if and when I am faced with that.

However, I think the difference here is that this is a messageboard where we discuss opinions. And I don't open threads just to make known my thoughts on the issue. Nor do I make a habit to divert topics to that issue just so I can once again voice my opinion on it. But when someone else opens a thread to make known their own approval of it (as is the case here) then I deem it fair game to post my disagreement. Of course, I know my own faults well enough to admit that I am sometimes guilty of harping on something too much, and perhaps I am guilty of that when this topic comes up. But it just seems to me that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it is okay for someone to open a thread in order to draw attention to someone coming out of the closet, and to draw attention to his own opinion that this is great and wonderful and that this person should be supported, then it seems fair to me for those of us who disagree to be able to make our points as well.

I obviously can't tell you that you don't have the right to express yourself on any issue as many times as you like, if the topic has been brought up. We're all here to yak about everything under the sun, and you're part of this community.

I guess my only thought is that since you couch so many of your responses in Biblical language, that you might — using that same yardstick — hold your own responses to a different standard than simply exercising your prerogative to dissent because you can. It seems like you might be a more effective witness for your faith if you toned down the rhetoric a bit instead of making it clear where you stand anytime the subject is raised.

Perhaps you don't think this is a forum where you're really going to influence people one way or another on that front, in which case I suppose you can say what you want, as often as you want without any further objection from me. :lol:

DivineMadness7

I'm not sure I agree completely with those who make the whole issue about "choice". This thread isn't really the place to discuss it, since there is a no religion rule on these boards. But in order to understand my thoughts on the issue, you first need to understand the whole concept of "original sin" and how, according to this doctrine, we all inherit a fallen nature from birth, through no choice of our own. If you are interested in my thoughts on that, you can PM me, and hopefully I can get back with you on it over the weekend or the beginning of the week.

Wow...really? Of all the people to say this...You need to step back and think about what you're saying here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom