Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
:wave:DMC- I just finished reading the article, man I would print that out, how often does the paper take quotes from forums and to have this forum to be the only one mentioned.

I don't know what slant the Orlando Sentinel has towards WDW, but here's to hoping the TDO folks are reading that blog along with all of the others. The comments on The Daily Disney were just as unfavorable towards the move to kill LOW as ours are. Maybe this will actually wake some people up over there.....:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009...-whether-theme-parks-are-starting-to-recover/

This article was on The Daily Disney blog as well. It points to a decline in attendance and profits, which can be an indicator of TDO's decision to kill off LOW.........
Aww shame. Get some of the execs to sell some furniture and carpets from their offices. Move down a peg or two with the company car.

I will be polite when I go to guest relations, but I`m not budging from there until I get to tell someone who is higher up than the poor desk CMs how I feel. Which is disgusted.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Aww shame. Get some of the execs to sell some furniture and carpets from their offices. Move down a peg or two with the company car.

I will be polite when I go to guest relations, but I`m not budging from there until I get to tell someone who is higher up than the poor desk CMs how I feel. Disgusted.[/B]

I wish I was going to be there for this. Hopefully you will not be the only one.

TURKEY

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009...-whether-theme-parks-are-starting-to-recover/

This article was on The Daily Disney blog as well. It points to a decline in attendance and profits, which can be an indicator of TDO's decision to kill off LOW.........

I posted on the paper website to push the company for a real answer. I wish everyone else would to.

I was shocked to see what the Sentinel said. It would be nice if they would start being tougher with the mouse.

aladdin2007

I used to just buy into the magic, in my eyes Disney could do no wrong. That all started to change with the news of PI closing. Then I was at Epcot last year for christmas and no tree lighting. This year there is no Night before christmas show (replaced by a parking lot, don't let them tell you otherwise)
no LoW, less and less decor all over the world, and to top it off, higher ticket prices.

I am starting to become completely disillusioned.

Very well said,,,they do very little decor anymore it seems like at Epcot. A couple of the dining areas are decorated and thats it. It use to be they went all out with the countries pavilions and entrance etc etc.
Now no more lights of winter because of their stupidity. Obselete tech does not sound like a viable excuess, they just didnt want to pay to update it or fix it and put it up.
I do feel bad for guest relations there though and what they are probably facing in the coming days with complaints. Another SSE fiasco on our hands, which never was fixed (never will be).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Here's a comment TDO should take to heart when they make these kind of decisions:

BRIAN on November 11th, 2009 at 8:21 pm
I actually had saved up money so I could afford some Photopass photos of myself in front of the Lights of Winter this year. Since Disney feels no need to put them up this year I have done the following..
1. Cancelled my Disney resort reservation and booked the Comfort Inn LBV.
2. WILL NOT RENEW MY WDW ANNUAL PASS.
3. Will now take 1 of the days I was going to EPCOT to see Lights of Winter and go to Sea World, Universal or Bush Gardens Tampa Bay.
4. Canceling my Reservations for the sit down restaurants I had and will now eat as much as possible OUTSIDE Disney parks. I have always gotten breakfast at EPCOT at least several mournings on all my trips, but will now eat my free continental breakfast at the Comfort Inn LBV instead.
5. Too late for this year because I already bought my MVMCP ticket But will not do so again after this.
6. I have gone to Disney World 2 times a year for several years.
So I will now find elsewhere to go. Hawaii sounds nice. And NO I will not use Disney Adventures for this like I was going to.
7. Had thought about doing a Disney Cruise nest year also. Well guess I will use an other cuise line now.
Will use saved photopass money for this cruise and anything else I can think of to “take away” form Disney since they seam to have no problem in doing it to us. Remember also. No tree lighting ceremony and no Twas night before Christmas show at Magic Kingdom as well.
Extra note. WILL NOT RENEW MY DISNEY WORLD ANNUAL PASS. Just in case Disney didn’t see that up above.
Brian

TarzanRocked99-

Seriously I am still amazed at how they responded to this, a complete bs twitter response. This is honestly a new low for them. I sincerely hope they wake up soon.

Ashitaka

The person who made the final decision to not have LoW this year needs to be shuffled off to some lower postion on his or her road out of the company.

The person who decided Twitter was the proper place for a response on the matter ("Hey, we can just give them a note of bs, and avoid a real explaination as the max of 140 characters doesn't allow for more") needs to be fired.

And if we are lucky, they will turn out to be one and the same person.

Edit: Okay, I just read Kevin Yee's piece on MiceAge. I'll need to temper my above comment by saying I don't think it is Thomas Smith's fault for the Twitter part. Once his blog comments got taken over by the protests, the matter should have been bumped up to higher ups who made the decision. If they left him high and dry, well shame on them.

Atomic Mickey's comment somewhere above that Disney should have come out with a press release months ago when the decision was made is right on the money.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a very lonely looking Christmas tree at Epcot this morning.

Attachments

• epcotree_12nov_photo.jpg
    epcotree_12nov_photo.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 388

aladdin2007

That is a sad gloomy picture, of course the weather here today is very wintry. But Disney throws in some little red plants into the planter and they call that Christmas decor?!? :brick:

imamouse

Adding my voice to the disgust at retiring Lights of Winter - especially with such a flimsy excuse. Bleh! My group booked BW this year to be within walking distance of our favorite park - Epcot. Now we'll be walking into GS to make sure our displeasure is noted. We're also writing and mailing real letters.

tirian

Might want to also bombard @thomassmith with comments on twitter too. It's his personal account. See if you get anywhere there.

It's not his fault that Disney hasn't given him a suitable answer for the LoW debacle. There's no reason to attack his personal account.

Interesting—we get a repainted UoE, new railings, and the beginning stages of a new Innoventions, but they won't install a Christmas light display.

And why aren't the doves/snowflakes installed in that planter?

Ashitaka

I guess I don't need to bother trying to untangle those pesky strings of lights for my Christmas tree this year, given that that "tech is obsolete."

I'm glad Disney clued me into my fashion faux pas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom