Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Oddysey

Might want to also bombard @thomassmith with comments on twitter too. It's his personal account. See if you get anywhere there.

While I dont agree with the excuse that has been given, attacking his personal account is not the answer. First many were complaining that no one from Disney was responding to the blogs and when someone finally gives us an answer (even if it is disappointing) we want to attack their personal account. It makes no sense, and if someone were attacking my personal account after providing an answer, I would be less cooperative if any questions were ever asked of me again. So...please dont do that.

hoke2007

I am so happy that people are calling out Disney on this. It's sad that Disneyland can constantly add to the experience, but WDW cuts and cuts and cuts (except those ticket prices, those have to keep going up). TDO should be embarrassed of how they run WDW. I hope that they people that said that they will boycott disney actually do.

It's been my problem with the organization for a while. They add next to nothing but expect us to flock back year after year. What did we get this year? Oh yeah, they gave us the American Idol experience, a seemingly sad rehab of Space Mountain, and a failed Stitch show. What a bunch of garbage.

DisneyLeo18

Wow some very angry comments over there. Which is also about to climb over 200.

I know this is a very small number compared to the amount of people who visit WDW on a yearly basis or even during the holidays, but you have to think there are some meetings going on right now on how to fix this.

One thing that I thought of is even if these 200 comments are people from fansites and such... What about the family who went to WDW in 07, 08, for christmas and will expect to see the lights this year? My family goes every year, and if I didn't tell them about the LoW being cancelled they would have no idea! I'm sure after the next few weeks Disney will receive many complaints and questions.

tirian

It's not his fault that Disney hasn't given him a suitable answer for the LoW debacle. There's no reason to attack his personal account.

I agree with this.

While I dont agree with the excuse that has been given, attacking his personal account is not the answer. First many were complaining that no one from Disney was responding to the blogs and when someone finally gives us an answer (even if it is disappointing) we want to attack their personal account. It makes no sense, and if someone were attacking my personal account after providing an answer, I would be less cooperative if any questions were ever asked of me again. So...please dont do that.

I'm reiterating these posts. Don't attack his personal Twitter account. It's immature, it's sloppy, and it's focusing on the wrong person.

Figment82

The saddest part of this is that management knew LoW wasn't going up for a while now (I'm talking more than several months) and assumed if they just ignored its absence that no one would care. I imagine they weren't quite expecting the outpouring that this has been receiving. I'm so glad to see so many people who love this display. Christmas shouldn't be about gaudy, flashy spectacles, it's the little beautiful things that set Disney apart from other locations during the holiday season. Truly a great shame...

Mr.EPCOT

I fired off two tweets at them:
MrEPCOT said:
@DisneyParks You can't figure out how to do a coordinated light display at your theme park about advanced technology?...
MrEPCOT said:
@DisneyParks ...With a big lighting company that already has a major presence in the park, and would probably love to show off what they can do? Isn't that embarrassing?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
One thing that I thought of is even if these 200 comments are people from fansites and such... What about the family who went to WDW in 07, 08, for christmas and will expect to see the lights this year? My family goes every year, and if I didn't tell them about the LoW being cancelled they would have no idea! I'm sure after the next few weeks Disney will receive many complaints and questions.

Yep you have to wonder about the people who don't visit websites. They are going to be heading into Epcot expecting to see them - why wouldn't they? The Lights of Winter are always there - it's an Epcot staple. Feel sorry for the Epcot guest relations - not their fault, but they are going to get some very angry people in there.

TURKEY

I'm reiterating these posts. Don't attack his personal Twitter account. It's immature, it's sloppy, and it's focusing on the wrong person.

I used the wrong wording and apologize. However, as director of social media, I don't see the harm in asking him directly if Twitter and the blog is going to replace press releases in the future.

nbodyhome

The saddest part of this is that management knew LoW wasn't going up for a while now (I'm talking more than several months) and assumed if they just ignored its absence that no one would care. I imagine they weren't quite expecting the outpouring that this has been receiving. I'm so glad to see so many people who love this display. Christmas shouldn't be about gaudy, flashy spectacles, it's the little beautiful things that set Disney apart from other locations during the holiday season. Truly a great shame...

I had no idea they knew it for that long - I can't imagine them just thinking that noone would realize or care that it was gone. I was looking SO forward to seeing it this year. I've parked in the Epcot parking lot in previous years just so I could take the monorail through the park after hours and see the Lights being installed and/or tested.

And again, please don't bombard Thomas Smith in a bad way! He isn't a bad guy, and he doesn't make the decisions. Let the Disney company know that you feel it's a bad decision, let them know what the lights mean to you. In my case, I'll visit Epcot less and I will tell them that. I am thinking the season pass to ICE sounds like a great way to enjoy the Christmas spirit that Epcot used to bring.

jakeman

I used the wrong wording and apologize. However, as director of social media, I don't see the harm in asking him directly if Twitter and the blog is going to replace press releases in the future.
Is his personal account linked to Disney? Does he routingly twitter Disney related items from his personal account?

nbodyhome

Yep you have to wonder about the people who don't visit websites. They are going to be heading into Epcot expecting to see them - why wouldn't they? The Lights of Winter are always there - it's an Epcot staple. Feel sorry for the Epcot guest relations - not their fault, but they are going to get some very angry people in there.

There are going to be a LOT of upset people, I was thinking about that. I know many friends/family who use the internet just casually, and would otherwise not know about the LOW if I didn't tell them. There will be tons of locals coming in for the holidays with no clue. I feel bad for the guest relations, and the gospel choir too.

jt04

Notice, 74 said TDO. We know that the FL expansion was forced by people higher in the company than TDO. :shrug:

Sheriff.

Get your facts right, it's GLENDALE that MADE TDO do this. That says something huge.

Yep, like my sheriff theory was right from day 1. :king:

And it's not a one time deal. It is the "Disney Parks" plan being implemented.

Here is a very lonely looking Christmas tree at Epcot this morning.

:(

Chape19714

Something interesting to note:

Lights of Winter is published in BOTH the 2009 and 2010 Brinbaum's OFFICAL Guides to WDW. To add insult to injury, the NEW 2010 book, just released, features a full color photo of the display under Epcot Holiday offerings.

hack2112

Something interesting to note:

Lights of Winter is published in BOTH the 2009 and 2010 Brinbaum's OFFICAL Guides to WDW. To add insult to injury, the NEW 2010 book, just released, features a full color photo of the display under Epcot Holiday offerings.
So obviously the lights were a very recent cut, then. This is just getting more and more confusing for the average guest. (If they buy a guide, of course.)

Mr.EPCOT

I made a new design for buttons and shirts.

416177286v3_350x350_Front.jpg

http://www.cafepress.com/BringBackLoW

Excellent work as always, buddy. I still have my Adventurers Club button ready waiting in the car if I ever go back to Downtown Disney again.

hpyhnt 1000

A small trip down memory lane is called for I think. To review...

So instead of having this display for the holiday season:
DSC00533.jpg

We have this:

Noitce that even the light display that used to be in the planter is missing as well. I guess those were also "obsolete". :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom