Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Rob562

The technology to operate the lights was obsolete? What technology was that? An outlet? I'm not sure how they can feed us that line of bull when they have have the same technology in use over at DHS.

Well, plugging it into an outlet is over-simplifying things a little bit, but looking at price of tech gear, they could upgrade to modern, professional lighting gear for between $15k-$20k. That would totally update the lighting controls. It's only 45 control circuits! (9 arches, 5 circuits per arch) The lighting board and dimmers at the community theater I used to work with could handle that...

Yes, they'd have to pay a couple electricians to come in and install the new equipment, and then they'd have to pay a couple of lighting designers to re-program the new control board with the same show that the old one ran, but it's not all that impossible. Ignoring the change-over to LEDs, it's a $50k job, and one that would be a ONE-TIME expense for many, many years to come.

I guess this whole issue has proven something, though... The fountain stage isn't going anywhere... :lookaroun

-Rob

jt04

TDO hasn't given a damn about exceeding guests expectations since ________ Nunis left the company and WDW became an Al Weiss fiefdom.

WDW is all about paying lip service to meeting guests much lower 21st century expectations.

Well that explains the new Fanasyland then. :rolleyes:

Pssst, They announced it at the D23 convention. Steve posted a permanent thread that discusses all the details :lookaroun

lightboy

The technology to operate the lights was obsolete? What technology was that? An outlet? I'm not sure how they can feed us that line of bull when they have have the same technology in use over at DHS.

And when do they plan on finding a new experience? Because the recent Disney trend is to just shut it down and never replace it.

Which is also the same technology used at the Castle.

Yep...we know it's BS...but most people will believe it. Which is what they count on.

Next Big Thing

Which is also the same technology used at the Castle.

Yep...we know it's BS...but most people will believe it. Which is what they count on.
A lot of people won't even know the difference or even know what their lame excuse was since they were so epically lame and announced it through twitter.

docandsix

Getting nervous about our trip in February.

Reading these boards always leads me to think that the next visit will be our family's last, as I expect to see and feel the cutbacks as much as folks here complain about them. It hasn't happened so far, but that's just luck or rose-colored glasses, or some combination of both.

At this point, little offends me more than the price increases, steady and ubiquitous, milking every last penny from every last sucker in the crowd. (Who founded this corporation, anyway, Walt Disney or P.T. Barnum?) But now the cutbacks have become too numerous and too conspicuous to ignore, as have the absurd, insulting explanations. Even the Dining Plan, which my family loves, has mutated into a giant, parasitic leech, slurping cash from the tourist and excreting a filth of unavailable reservations and limited menu options.

Disneyland is within driving distance, more realistically manageable for a big family, friendlier, cleaner, more up-to-date, and more concerned regarding its customers' opinions and experiences.

If I wanted cheap merchandise, poor customer service, disregard for my opinion, bad food, and a generally unpleasant and suboptimal experience for my money, the local Wal-Mart is just up the street. See you in February, WDW. It could be for the last time.

wedance6

This excuse is the pits.. I've been going to WDW at Christmas time for 15 years. This decision just plans sucks!!!! The people at Disney only care about the dollars they can suck from us while offering less each year. Christmas at WDW gave me and my family a place to go and enjoy the spirit they had there. We are going to WDW in 2 weeks but not to Epcot. Why bother!

Okay now I'm very dissapointed about the lights as well, but not go to Epcot because they are gone sounds a bit silly. They are so cool and sometimes I enjoy them more than the Osbourne. But there is so many other wonderful and beautiful things Epcot does like CP, Voices of Liberty singing and wearing their Xmas garb, the storytellers, etc. People are making it sound like there won't be any holiday and Xmas at Epcot.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Pssst, They announced it at the D23 convention. Steve posted a permanent thread that discusses all the details :lookaroun

TDO wasn't in charge of the Fantasyland project at all, Glendale (WDI) and higher Disney execs were.

vintageepcot

So what if the technology is to obsolete, They could just light them without a perfoemance. I can see what they do mean by obsolete because the FON got new lights and the might of LOW worked with the old system and was probably programed on the old system. Now it just said retiring the lights and that they wouldn't be performing, It never said anything about not setting up the canopies and lighting them up, simply just said they will not be performing, and that they are retiring the lights. How do we know they arrant putting up the canopies and lighting them motionless. Thats my perception on it but I am one person out of all the posters who are convinced that everything to do with them is done so I am most likely wrong. First Dreamfinder and Horizons, Royal Di tempo, Wonders of life now The lights of winter, I am afraid what will be taken away from us all next.

Mansion Butler

I actually never liked LoW (I know, I know). I didn't hate them enough to be behind a decision that seems to have infuriated so many people, though; shocked as I am by the outcry.

s8film40

I made a new design for buttons and shirts.

416177286v3_350x350_Front.jpg

http://www.cafepress.com/BringBackLoW

TTA1

I wonder if..... just say there was a rumour that they were going to put the arches up, in an controlled access area, say for instance Wonder of Life (although maybe too big), and they were going to put a show on too, and wait for it .....a meal package and make this a ticket event.......and just say everyone loved the idea, and it was going to be a financial success......
I wonder how quick the dust may be blown of the L.O.W and the issue of tech overcome or forgotten and a speedy installation of the arches......?????????

krankenstein

Notice, 74 said TDO. We know that the FL expansion was forced by people higher in the company than TDO. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I don't even know if Disney thinks enough of their fans to even have an opinion of their intelligence :ROFLOL:
They do a DisneyLAND....:fork:
Thats it....I just cant see having the same feelings about WDW at Christmas anymore. Im sick of the cuts, and the lame shows....the prices keep going up, and the quality down during one of the most visited times of the year. If I go again, It wont be at Christmas....I will be happily going to Disneyland tomorrow to kick off my holiday magic!
May I join you? :lookaroun:lol:

They do things RIGHT over there.
Ms. Crofton, Ms. Wallace, Mr. Cockerell.....RAISE UP THOSE ARCHES!!!
TELL THEM THAT. :D

OH - and by the way, if you guys haven't noticed, we were quoted in the Sentinel's "Daily Disney" Blog section, specifically Nemo14 and DMC:
:sohappy::sohappy:

That's AWESOME.
Well that explains the new Fanasyland then.

Pssst, They announced it at the D23 convention. Steve posted a permanent thread that discusses all the details
Get your facts right, it's GLENDALE that MADE TDO do this. That says something huge.

Yay - they quoted me!!!

Now, about those royalties.....

Gratz!

PotteryGal

I'm more disappointed than words can say....seeing LoW was our very FIRST experience at Epcot on our first trip to WDW in '06....and it took our breath away to watch it. I'm glad I have some video of it, but the decison for this makes no sense at all. It was simple, but classy, and really brought the Christmas spirit to the park.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I left work around 2:30 yesterday and went to my house to put up my apparently obsolete christmas lights, so I missed the half baked announcement disney gave us about the lights. What a joke.

This constant scaling back in orlando is a travesty. I don't understand how such a great company is allowing its flagship resort to just keep getting less and less. DisneyLand is always improving, the over seas parks look wonderful, they are even building a new park in Shanghai. Now that Pixar is actually owned by Disney we are in what I and many others would consider another golden age of animation. And yet, WDW just keeps getting more expensive, and less magical.

I used to just buy into the magic, in my eyes Disney could do no wrong. That all started to change with the news of PI closing. Then I was at Epcot last year for christmas and no tree lighting. This year there is no Night before christmas show (replaced by a parking lot, don't let them tell you otherwise)
no LoW, less and less decor all over the world, and to top it off, higher ticket prices.

I am starting to become completely disillusioned.

EPCOT Explorer

I left work around 2:30 yesterday and went to my house to put up my apparently obsolete christmas lights, so I missed the half baked announcement disney gave us about the lights. What a joke.

This constant scaling back in orlando is a travesty. I don't understand how such a great company is allowing its flagship resort to just keep getting less and less. DisneyLand is always improving, the over seas parks look wonderful, they are even building a new park in Shanghai. Now that Pixar is actually owned by Disney we are in what I and many others would consider another golden age of animation. And yet, WDW just keeps getting more expensive, and less magical.

I used to just buy into the magic, in my eyes Disney could do no wrong. That all started to change with the news of PI closing. Then I was at Epcot last year for christmas and no tree lighting. This year there is no Night before christmas show (replaced by a parking lot, don't let them tell you otherwise)
no LoW, less and less decor all over the world, and to top it off, higher ticket prices.

I am starting to become completely disillusioned.
Please, please, please tell them this. :D

Seriously.:lol::wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom