Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

sarenice

Originally Posted by spectrodanny
Doesn't Disneyland Paris have a similar setup on Main Street
----
Yes they do, it's an awesome location for it and ties in great with their tree lighting.

Actually Disneyland Paris Lights of Winter display changed several years ago (I’m not sure they are still referred to as that) - though it still does tie into the tree lighting ceremony - but not with the street arches.

Main Street has Princess Chandeliers down each side and I believe this year will be the fourth Christmas season with them (I saw them in 2006 and 2007 but not last year).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I began a form discussion on the D-______ website about LOW. Hopefully those members will read it and place comments on the Disney blog as well....

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
AgRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! First they take away "The night before christmas". And now this!!! Me and my DH are going for the first time at this time of year and two long going traditions are being taken away that we were so looking forward to everything and now a few of them are gone!!!! And who knows if they will ever bring them back and if they do we don't know when we are going back. So so disappointed and kinda sad! :(

RiversideBunny

Most major newspapers, some TV stations, have Entertainment Editors.
They have ways of getting through to upper management.
They may be interested in doing a story about a brewing rebellion over the sudden removal of the Lights of Winter display and how Disney management is not listening to its guests.

:)

TimNRA757

Most major newspapers, some TV stations, have Entertainment Editors.
They have ways of getting through to upper management.
They may be interested in doing a story about a brewing rebellion over the sudden removal of the Lights of Winter display and how Disney management is not listening to its guests.

:)
Someone already did mention previously about a reporter from the Orlando Sentinel.. I hope they do a story :).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have sent off an email to cnn's website with this story, hopefully someone over there takes notice. They run lots of stories about disney, and about customers discontent with different aspects of travel, so hopefully they latch onto this.

Biff215

Has anyone asked about LoW at the Disney Mom's Panel yet?

Just did, but can't say I'm optimistic about getting a reply considering the lack of one over on the "official" blog.

Here's the question I submitted:

We have an upcoming holiday trip planned. We are trying to make sure we catch all of the holiday offerings. We just heard that the Lights of Winter at Epcot has been cancelled. Is this true, and has any reason been given?

NewfieFan

Just did, but can't say I'm optimistic about getting a reply considering the lack of one over on the "official" blog.

Here's the question I submitted:

We have an upcoming holiday trip planned. We are trying to make sure we catch all of the holiday offerings. We just heard that the Lights of Winter at Epcot has been cancelled. Is this true, and has any reason been given?

Great question... let's see what they say...

JeffH

and even the great dinner show at the Contemporary Convention Center that's name is escaping me right now. ...

That would be the Jolly Holidays celebration...yet another WONDERFUL tradition that the Handshaw family attended every year that was cut for no good reason.

And considering how they have been putting up the Christmas decorations earlier every year, ADDING content would make more sense since the content is up longer...for more guests to enjoy...more worth the investment Disney makes to put them up and maintain them.

WDW1974

I'd again advise against taking matters up with Guest Relations. The people there have no control over what goes on. And they may feel the same as you. They exist to offer you a free burger or churro if you have a complaint.

I'd make sure Danny Cockerell and Erin Wallace know how you feel. They had to sign off on the holiday line-up at EPCOT.

Disney doesn't like people contacting its execs directly (much like almost every major American corporation these days), so generally I believe in doing what they don't like ... it takes them out of their comfort zone and gets the word to folks who need to hear it.

34 pages ... wow.

I guess folks here like LoW more than prime rib on their buffets or the ability to get into restaurants without making a reservation six months in advance or staying and playing late in the parks or seeing Fantasmic nightly or buying themed merchandise etc ... it's all part and parcel of Walmarting WDW. And they'll push it as far as they can.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I received this response from the editor of the site:

Hi -------,

I have made a few phone calls about it over the last week, but have still not received a definite answer. Holidays Around the World does not begin until November 27th, so there is still time to construct the arches if they choose to. I agree with you that it will be disgraceful if it did not return this year. Just stay tuned to the website, I'll post something as soon as I know more.

Tom Corless

So at least we know there's others out there looking into the story, and who are disappointed as we are....

WDW1974

That would be the Jolly Holidays celebration...yet another WONDERFUL tradition that the Handshaw family attended every year that was cut for no good reason.

And considering how they have been putting up the Christmas decorations earlier every year, ADDING content would make more sense since the content is up longer...for more guests to enjoy...more worth the investment Disney makes to put them up and maintain them.

Yes. Jolly Holidays. Thanks!:)

That was a great show. And it wasn't cheap. But apparently the profit margin wasn't sufficient to not justify its retention.

It's been a good decade plus of constantly lowering the bar.

But there was a time Disney was about more than selling timeshares too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom