Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Expo_Seeker40

It has come to the point where fans and AP holders must be greatful for only a couple of refurb hits such as Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents, and simply watch other refurbs as Space Mountain and Pirates go as is. Fans and AP holders must also watch their WDW Magic Kingdom be the Magic Kingdom with the least Christmas Decorations of any Magic Kingdom style park, and the cut of various Christmas overlays and events, and now it's spread to Epcot. :mad:

freediverdude

What is going on with the Disney management in Orlando? WDW is the big cash cow of the Disney theme park chain.

These lights can't be that expensive to put up, so I'm not understanding. And it's run by computer I'm sure, so it's just electricity costs once they are up. I don't get it.

durangojim

If Walt always wanted to "plus" the parks, it seems current management always wants to "minus" the parks. This makes me feel better about our choice to go less and less to the World starting next year. They're eroding away at the little things that always made WDW better than everything else. So sad.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It has come to the point where fans and AP holders must be greatful for only a couple of refurb hits such as Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents, and simply watch other refurbs as Space Mountain and Pirates go as is. Fans and AP holders must also watch their WDW Magic Kingdom be the Magic Kingdom with the least Christmas Decorations of any Magic Kingdom style park, and the cut of various Christmas overlays and events, and now it's spread to Epcot. :mad:

Exactly...

They have pushed the DVC on us, and for the most part we have bought in. I know I have. The main reason people give for DL being updated all the time is because of the amount of repeat guests. With the DVC now doesn't WDW deserve the same kind of treatment? There are tons and tons of yearly guests. We are going back year after year and not only seeing the same things time and time again, but for the holidays, less and less. This is unacceptable. Like someone said earlier, its not so much about the LoW, its about the total disregard for the guests of WDW. We get no overlays, we are losing lights, we are losing long loved shows, what are we gaining?

bstiles

Watch what u say over on the disney blog. If it is anything negative or anti-disney they just delete your thread response. I posted over on it nothing that was out of line and they deleted it.

EPCOT Explorer

Watch what you say. There are plenty of us on here.

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."
EVER!?!?!? They HAVE to be kidding. One of the most simplistic and fitting parts of Holidays around the World, and they want to axe it YEARLY?! Sheesh. TDO needs the boot. Now.:lol: Get some new guys in there, bring back quality. It's not that hard. DL did it, so can we....I just think we need to keep this fan base momentum going!:sohappy:

Did they happen to say why? Other than the new group.

Would this have happened on MacPhee's watch?
I doubt it....and I am really questioning the trust that we have in Mr. Cockrell.

Good! I never got those things anyway. They took away from the effect of the Christmas tree by the water.

They looked like some electric Peter Max creation or a lit up Moroccan tribute to whatever!

Buh bye!
Wow, thanks.

This is the last straw for many folks,I hope Disney realizes this. They need to.
Yep. Never thought that this would do it.

yeti

Watch what u say over on the disney blog. If it is anything negative or anti-disney they just delete your thread response. I posted over on it nothing that was out of line and they deleted it.

I concur. It's an embarrassment, designed only for the ultimate fan boys.

Animaniac93-98

I concur. It's an embarrassment, designed only for the ultimate fan boys.

I don't believe the blog itself is an embarrassment, weren't we all gushing over the new SM pics yesterday? It's more the issue over deleting anything they disagree with no matter how nicely it's put. That's incredibly childish and insulting. Isn't the knowledge that a company respects your opinion more reassuring than ignoring any potential flaw they might have?

Regarding Christmas extras at WDW for repeat visitors wouldn't it be wise to have them for first time visitors too? With so many Christmas family offerings around the world competing for the GP's money shouldn't WDW position itself as begin the best? Of course it does, but there's only so much magic marketing can do. Especially with the internet, word of mouth and past publications documenting what WDW used to do, this LoW fiasco can't be seen as a positive by anybody.

Creating repeat visits from first time customers, wasn't hat a good idea at one point? I guess that changed when the no expiry option on tickets became something you had to pay extra for.

nbodyhome

Disney still does a lot of things right, such as Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. I think that is great fun. I was a skeptic of the American Idol Experience, but I enjoy it - though DHS lost the extra shows of Fantasmic.

The Lights of Winter draws guests to Epcot in the same way that the Christmas Castle Lighting draws me to the MK. I used to almost never go to the MK for Christmas, now I do. Now I won't be at Epcot much, there is nothing to draw me in. The Lights help MAKE the Christmas holiday at Epcot.

BTW - the new "Totally Tomorrowland Christmas" at the Christmas Party - terrible (the cast is good, just a bad show IMHO). I didn't see a whole version, since it was raining last night and Mike Wazowski's arm fell off for their first show. A friend of mine said they should have kept it a dance party, which I agree. The dance party on the stage during the Halloween Party was very popular and fun.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
BTW - the new "Totally Tomorrowland Christmas" at the Christmas Party - terrible. I didn't see a whole version said:
Gee, the new TL show stinks. Who woulda thunk it?:mad:

mljolly

This is disappointing. To me, this was one of the things that made Epcot special at Christmas. Had grand plans this year to videotape the LoW, but guess Disney took that away.

Booked the Candlelight Processional this year, but for the first time, almost did not book it for the increase in price. We may stilll cancel. We have been going to Disney at Christmas since 2000, but next year I don't have a trip planned and am looking to go a different time.

BrerFrog

This may be a little off-topic, but I once wrote I comment on the Magic Kingdom Tilt-Shift video about how there are no Wishes pictures on it and it got deleted! :eek:

Back on topic, I am really sad to hear about the Lights of Winter they were my favorite Holiday Season decoration. :(

nbodyhome

Mine was too, which actually surprised me. Of course, after over 100 comments there's been no response from the moderator, but what would you expect? :shrug:

I don't understand why Disney has not said anything about it at all. It's the centerpiece of Christmas at Epcot, you can't sweep it under the rug and not expect people to not notice.

yeti

I don't believe the blog itself is an embarrassment, weren't we all gushing over the new SM pics yesterday? It's more the issue over deleting anything they disagree with no matter how nicely it's put. That's incredibly childish and insulting. Isn't the knowledge that a company respects your opinion more reassuring than ignoring any potential flaw they might have?

Regarding Christmas extras at WDW for repeat visitors wouldn't it be wise to have them for first time visitors too? With so many Christmas family offerings around the world competing for the GP's money shouldn't WDW position itself as begin the best? Of course it does, but there's only so much magic marketing can do. Especially with the internet, word of mouth and past publications documenting what WDW used to do, this LoW fiasco can't be seen as a positive by anybody.

Creating repeat visits from first time customers, wasn't hat a good idea at one point? I guess that changed when the no expiry option on tickets became something you had to pay extra for.

If they are censoring comments to the degree they are, then the site is not what they purport it to be.

DisneyJoe

I don't understand why Disney has not said anything about it at all. It's the centerpiece of Christmas at Epcot, you can't sweep it under the rug and not expect people to not notice.

Management probably needs to have a few meetings, and then more meetings, and then get the legal department to approve the response.

hpyhnt 1000

Watch what you say. There are plenty of us on here.

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."

Pathetic. And thats with an "ever" too? I sense a letter campaign a coming, not to mention a lovely visit to Guest Relations during our December trip.

With this confirmation, and with the introduction of the new "gospel group" to the fountain stage, I'm willing to bet the FoN will no longer dance to holiday music. Thats been an Epcot tradition since the fountain was refurbed to include synchronized shows; if that goes, Epcot truly will have lost in Christmas spirit. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if they can get rid of the LoW, whats to stop them from taking away the fountain shows? :shrug: :(

DisneyJoe

Have the other WDW web sites/forums, such as allears, picked up on the cancellilng of the Lights of Winter yet?
It would be good if they all did.
All Ears only publishes news stories that it can verify with official sources. I don't believe there has been an official announcement or confirmation yet.

The DISboards has at least one thread going in the Theme Parks area, quite a bit of their info is coming from here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom