Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Biff215

Just doesn't seem reassuring that they even tried getting them ready when we see pictures of weeds growing through them. I guess any meetings held today to address this matter came up rather empty.

Figment1986

what I don't get is the tech is out dated, yet can't the same tech used to run osborne be used... actually they could go and get a smaller version many homeowners user and upgrade the arches to LEDs and do the same thing they did before... is it just cause there is no sponosr and the money for it went towards the gospil group instead?

krankenstein

what I don't get is the tech is out dated, yet can't the same tech used to run osborne be used... actually they could go and get a smaller version many homeowners user and upgrade the arches to LEDs and do the same thing they did before... is it just cause there is no sponosr and the money for it went towards the gospil group instead?

It's because the gospel group was cheaper and they thought they could get away with removing LoW.

EPCOT Explorer

Not unless you have an extra crane around. You should've seen how they assembled the tree at Epcot last night. Over 100 people to coordinate it and it was a pretty amazing process.
HEY! If I can Dream it...:lookaroun

(Really?! Wow. The MK Set up must be brutal...)

hoke2007

I think that they just don't want to. It would cost them money and they don't want to spend it. They'd rather just take your money and let it collect interest.

NewfieFan

Ok, here's my idea...

Let's wrap ourselves in Christmas lights and link arms while blocking the bridge to WS. And we should have some sort of chant...

Who's with me!?! :lookaroun

culturenthrills

This sucks. Just another cut in a series of cuts. I can't wait to see how many fireworks get cut out of the holiday tag and Holiday Wishes this year. Let's hope it isn't as bad as the cuts they made to Hallowishes. It is just sad. I know alot of you aren't locals but it has been very disappointing seeing the cutbacks this year and it is starting to really hurt show in the parks.

hoke2007

I'm happy that people are calling out Disney on this. It's a recent trend with them that needs to stop. If they want to offer less, that's fine. Just drop the ticket prices. But they jack up those prices at least once a year and offer nothing more.

Figment1986

It's because the gospel group was cheaper and they thought they could get away with removing LoW.

actually. it might be closer to the same amount, Light of winter ran on their own with some work after hours to replace bulbs and such... everything was automated, but bringing in a group your paying for them to perform and to live here for the time being, and the techs to run the sound board and lighting board... might be the same money in the end.

Remember last year they had a group at DHS, and strangely this year they have a different group at epcot... and taking away a different offering in the process. in their minds they thought it was equal when it is not.

WDW1974

What you guys/gals need to understand is this has been what Disney has been doing for over a decade now in Orlando. Cutting ... taking ... slicing and... slashing.

(BTW, I recalled earlier when driving how much I used to love the train that used to circle the Christmas tree at TPFKaTD-MGMS prior to the pinshack being added)

That's what angers me about the 'fan community' when something gets cut and the reaction is either apathy or 'I never liked (fill in the blank)' or defending TDO.

The most that's going to come out of this is that Disney may turn around and bring them back next year. And they'll think they're being fan-friendly and many fans will think 'we've won'.

Well, no.

While other Disney resorts keep getting stuff added, WDW has been peeled of magic piece by little piece since the late 1990s.

I wonder what a thread might look like of things cut or destroyed or replaced by vastly inferior offerings.

After all, so what if Twas The Night Before Christmas can't be performed because the theater was razed for exec/management parking? And so what if MK is the only MK-style park that doesn't have a facility now for stage shows? After all, there's some 'new' Stitch show on a very poorly planned, placed and built multi-million stage in T-Land. So, Disney is giving us something right?

Yeah. The white glove treatment. Royally.

It's all part of the business model (BTW, fiscal results are out tomorrow so that should be fun for Iger, Staggs and Co).

They take so much and then give a little back and waaaay too many fanbois squeal with delight.

They cut Fantasmic to three days a week, but folks are happy when they add a fourth showing. They cut park hours overall, but somehow a few EMHs for resort guests is an equalizer? They stop showing Holiday Illuminations, but after a few years add back a three-minute tag and everyone in the fan community gets giddy?

This is Walmarting.

This began a long time ago. And some of us were aware of it and raising our voices (both online and in the real world) back then.

You can't call yourself a premium brand and offer vastly less. Eventually, even the slowest folks do catch on. And those all important one-in-a-lifetime guests come and think the place is vastly overrated and have no desire to return.

Is this any worse than marking up dining (on top of those already raised 2-3 times annually) during the holidays?

Is this any worse then letting wood chips count as landscaping?

Is this any worse than having parks close at 7 p.m. during summer?

Is this any worse than cutting prime rib from buffets across property, raising the prices and then say you're doing because guests asked?

Is this any worse than paying lip service to safety and allowing monorails to crash and kill a young man?

Apparently, to a lot of folks here, it is ... not me ... it all sucks!

mickeysaver

What you guys/gals need to understand is this has been what Disney has been doing for over a decade now in Orlando. Cutting ... taking ... slicing and... slashing.

(BTW, I recalled earlier when driving how much I used to love the train that used to circle the Christmas tree at TPFKaTD-MGMS prior to the pinshack being added)

That's what angers me about the 'fan community' when something gets cut and the reaction is either apathy or 'I never liked (fill in the blank)' or defending TDO.

The most that's going to come out of this is that Disney may turn around and bring them back next year. And they'll think they're being fan-friendly and many fans will think 'we've won'.

Well, no.

While other Disney resorts keep getting stuff added, WDW has been peeled of magic piece by little piece since the late 1990s.

I wonder what a thread might look like of things cut or destroyed or replaced by vastly inferior offerings.

After all, so what if Twas The Night Before Christmas can't be performed because the theater was razed for exec/management parking? And so what if MK is the only MK-style park that doesn't have a facility now for stage shows? After all, there's some 'new' Stitch show on a very poorly planned, placed and built multi-million stage in T-Land. So, Disney is giving us something right?

It's all part of the business model (BTW, fiscal results are out tomorrow so that should be fun for Iger, Staggs and Co).

They take so much and then give a little back and waaaay too many fanbois squeal with delight.

They cut Fantasmic to three days a week, but folks are happy when they add a fourth showing. They cut park hours overall, but somehow a few EMHs for resort guests is an equalizer? They stop showing Holiday Illuminations, but after a few years add back a three-minute tag and everyone in the fan community gets giddy?

This is Walmarting.

This began a long time ago. And some of us were aware of it and raising our voices (both online and in the real world) back then.

You can't call yourself a premium brand and offer vastly less. Eventually, even the slowest folks do catch on. And those all important one-in-a-lifetime guests come and think the place is vastly overrated and have no desire to return.

Is this any worse than marking up dining (on top of those already raised 2-3 times annually) during the holidays?

Is this any worse than cutting prime rib from buffets across property, raising the prices and then say you're doing because guests asked?

Is this any worse than paying lip service to safety and allowing monorails to crash and kill a young man?

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: BRAVO! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:​

EPCOT Explorer

Well, no.

This is Walmarting.

Well, Spirit....That ain't happening in this thread. And I'm quite proud, to be honest.:)

:lookaroun

Agreed with the rest, though.

brkgnews

Wow. This excuse really does NOT hold water. I am unbelieveably disappointed in the whole situation... but the manner in which the "aftermath" has been handled borders on an insult to the intelligence.

NadieMasK2

Eh, I'm done with WDW for a while. Cut backs a little here, a little there. They all add up. SM I fear will not live up to DL's version. I've already decided to head to DL this summer where they continue to plus things, not take away. Hopefully the FL expansion will be enticing enough to bring me back.

TURKEY

Eh, I'm done with WDW for a while. Cut backs a little here, a little there. They all add up. SM I fear will not live up to DL's version. I've already decided to head to DL this summer where they continue to plus things, not take away. Hopefully the FL expansion will be enticing enough to bring me back.

I'm going back for Thanksgiving after spending 6+ out of the last 9 years living in Orlando and having an WDW cast ID for all but the last 5 months since January 2001.

I might go back to Orlando to visit friends, but I don't plan on spending any more money at WDW for years after this trip. Fantasyland will be open before any major money will be spent by me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom