Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

geubux

Good! I never got those things anyway. They took away from the effect of the Christmas tree by the water.

They looked like some electric Peter Max creation or a lit up Moroccan tribute to whatever!

Buh bye!

brkgnews

Watch what you say. There are plenty of us on here.

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."
OK, so...

We're replacing the "always-on" lighted arches that people can enjoy as they go through, maybe occasionally stopping to watch the "show" part of it...

... with a group that will only perform a certain number of sets each night... probably not *every* night... and possibly causing audience flow issues as people (potentially) crowd around.

I stand by my previous "lame." Time to start writing.

DisneyLeo18

Well.. I'm disappointed as every one else on this board as I will not get to see it on my trip in 3 weeks.:(

However I have to say (as I think 74 was hinting to this) I am surprised (in a good way) of how every one is reacting to this cut. Through this whole thread it doesn't appear anyone is defending this cut in any way. Sometimes when we read about a price increase or a cutback some people defend the reasoning or are not too upset, but not this time. I see people not wanting to return on multiple trips, not renew annual passes, one person not visiting at all! I think it's good that we (as a collective) have finally had enough. I love WDW as much as the rest of you, and couldn't be more excited about my next trip but this really bothers me. I'm hoping they realize this mistake and somehow correct it.

I know I might be ripped to shreds by some on this, but EPCOT isn't even one of my favorite parks. I enjoy the rides, but WS doesn't do much for me really, however this is my first trip being 21 and will be drinking around the world :slurp:. And the way my schedule for this trip worked out we were heading to EPCOT on our first night and I was looking forward to LoW.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If any of you are planning to contact Disney on this, the best approach is to send a hand written letter to guest communications. Failing that, email them. Calling on the phone tends to be very ineffective. If you do comment in person in the park, remember, guest relations probably love the Lights of Winter as much as you do, and they didn't make the decision, so don't go crazy.

MousDad

The fact that you guys (and kudos for it) have been able to hijack one of their happy threads with your comments ALL ENTIRELY on this likely had folks in major meetings all day because they didn't expect it (they're very slow at Disney) and have no idea how to deal with it.

Wait till SM opens with no Star Tunnel Music!

Especially since the whole point of the Disney Blog and D23 and 'Social Media' (a term that makes me cringe in the same way Homeland Security and Patriot Act do) is to get you all away from places like this and buying into the corporate agenda.

If that's the case, I give Disney Parks Blog about another 2 weeks.

CrashNet

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."
Thank you for letting us know they are getting rid of another and probably one of the best traditions they had permanently for "entertainment." I've never been one to really respond to a lot of the complaints that pass through in this community, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are certain people in TDO from the Eisner era that need to be kicked out and kicked out fast.

Childish sounding or not, I don't care, but I will not be wasting my time watching any of these shows. Still, when I do lodge my complaint, in person, I will be sure to treat the Guest Relations CMs with the respect they deserve. They didn't make this terrible decision.

jmuboy

Nice post (not being sarcastic). Removing the LoW has become a real eye opener for many people, including myself. I also find it extremely frustrating how all the other parks around the world are getting a ton of Christmas specialties at no cost, but at WDW we have to pay an additional price just to see some Christmas specialties which should be offered to everyone, all the time during the Holiday seaason.

The biggest reason I live in VA and fly to CA for DL's Christmas is that their stuff is FREE and BETTER than WDW's Holiday stuff. The fact that the MK charges for the holiday parade and fireworks is a disgusting example of WDW's greed. I am so at my breaking point with WDW that I may stop going altogether. DL offers a much more plesant expereince for "fans" and it promises only to improve over the next several years.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I am not a big letter writing person... but I think I may type one up tonight... and snail mail it to the Epcot bosses. :-\

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The biggest reason I live in VA and fly to CA for DL's Christmas is that their stuff is FREE and BETTER than WDW's Holiday stuff. The fact that the MK charges for the holiday parade and fireworks is a disgusting example of WDW's greed. I am so at my breaking point with WDW that I may stop going altogether. DL offers a much more plesant expereince for "fans" and it promises only to improve over the next several years.

I'm with you. Especially now that DVC has opened up out there. If I am in the mood for some Disney Holiday magic, which I used to be able to get in FL, I will book GCV and head out to cali.

NewfieFan

There's 98 comments over on the blog! I have to think that will mean something! I know they're too big to listen to their fans, blah, blah, blah... but they have to pay attention to all the "attention", don't they!?!

I still say "keep commenting"!

I was thinking about buying my first AP this year... Disney isnt' doing a good job of convincing me! :(

RiversideBunny

The deep essence of this act is that it shows a real disregard for WDW guests by Disney management.
It's not really about lights; it's about callous corporate control and about taking customers for granted.

:mad:

harryk

Let's get real...
4 shows a day maybe...
Lights are on from tree lighting to closing of the park...
Lights help 'keep the holidays bright'

Gospel singers..... nice, but no thanks

Don't need 'green' .. one more group falls to the propaganda about greeness.

CrashNet

The deep essence of this act is that it shows a real disregard for WDW guests by Disney management.
It's not really about lights; it's about callous corporate control and about taking customers for granted.

:mad:
Oh its directly related to the higher ups in managment. Look at TDA and the great work they've done to DL. Now look at TDO: losing one thing after the other, worthless refurbs, and no real signs of anything new or exciting down the road. You could say the Fantasyland redo, but keep in mind TDO got trumped by some of the highest brass in the company to force that decision through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom