Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think we'll be waiting for a long time before the real reason for shutting down LOW is ever revealed.....

disneytopdog

OK, so the only night time Epcot Christmas things to do are Candlelight Procession, which now takes 2 disney table service credits(or you stand in a long line where there is no guarantee you will get a seat) and a extra 5 minutes added on Illuminations?

_Scar

It's probably either Epcot CMs are lazy, people got offended by the Christmas stuff, or the money isn't there.

I'm guessing the latter of the 3.

jt04

Revealed, nothing. It was a theory, jt.:rolleyes:

NoJ and the CP are seperate ticket events. I'm half expecting Epcot to issue ear plugs to folks walking past the processional who might be "offended" by the songs. But anyway, it's more than a theory.

Now you know I can't discuss this. I think you are just trying to get me in trouble. So I am leaving this thread and not coming back. :lol::wave:

How bout that Space Mountain? :sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

NoJ and the CP are seperate ticket events. I'm half expecting Epcot to issue ear plugs to folks walking past the processional who might be "offended" by the songs. But anyway, it's more than a theory.

Now you know I can't discuss this. I think you are just trying to get me in trouble. So I am leaving this thread and not coming back. :lol::wave:

Half expect all you want. Our Mod, Steve, said that was wrong. Who do you think I trust?:wave:

Bye!

nemofinder22

I love the Lights of Winter! from the weird white sphere things with the dove, to the tree it matched and looked beautiful together!:xmas: It will be disappointing to not have them up.

While it looks nothing like the Epcot version HKDL will have one this year it sounds similar to DL's castle lighting that includes the Christmas Tree garlands and trees. Maybe more like Paris castle/tree lighting this year.

Lights of Winter the name at least will live somewhere in the world this year, just not in the Disney World:( maybe things can change at the last minute though thats probably more hopeful wishing:rolleyes:

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/html/Christmas/en_US/index.html
LOW.jpg

TimNRA757

Maybe I'm just in denial or what not but there's still no *official* word about this, given Disney doesn't make announcements like this. But now is the time to bombard Disney with request and pleas, it's not too late to go back and put it up for this year... I do know they've gone back on things when there is great public displeasure (Although we still did lose 20K, Mr. Toads and the Horizons) but this is as bad of an offense as I can think of in a while that Disney has done (if indeed it is true) just because it seems so simple for Disney to put up compared to all the other wonderful stuff they accomplish.
I feel like I've lost a big part of my childhood, I've been going to Disney for who knows how many years and one thing I always remember year after year and have looked forward to every holiday season was this display.

Horizons1

Thats why we keep pestering them with comments about it on their own blog. :lol: Still, the fact that they have not answered after nearly 70 comments is not a good sign. Some PR execs are probably in an urgent back room meeting room right now trying to come up with a plausible sounding reason to tell everyone why the LoW aren't going up this year and have probably realized they have none.

Or Disney could care less seeing as how it's a HUGE corporation. 70 comments on an internet blog by Disney fans does not make for upsetting Disney. I know everyone wants to be hopeful, but please, be somewhat realistic.

TURKEY

It doesn't take a special ticket to enjoy the Candlelight Processional. Get a good seat yes. Get a seat, maybe. Avoid standing in a super long line, yes.

hpyhnt 1000

I'm betting those same execs are thinking that since it's only 70+ comments on the blog the furor isn't enough to even warrant a response. I bet they're hoping this issue will die a quiet death. We need to keep the pressure on them! :fork:

Or Disney could care less seeing as how it's a HUGE corporation. 70 comments on an internet blog by Disney fans does not make for upsetting Disney. I know everyone wants to be hopeful, but please, be somewhat realistic.

Normally I'd agree here, but this the Disney Parks Blog we're talking about and not a fan made site like WDWMagic; its THEIR site. I might also add that the creation of this blog was done with people like us in mind as a way to distribute news and other information about the parks. To have over 70 comments about the same thing in a negative light will get some attention somewhere.

Hopefully the Sentinel picks up this story... Disney hates bad publicity, and since it seems to be more and more clear that the decision has been made to cut the LoW, bad press is exactly what Disney needs to wake them up. And realize their mistake.

I must say that I am so surprised that so many of you found this display "beautiful". I am trying to think of anything else at WDW that I have found as garish and pedestrian as this EPCOT display. Most holiday displays in WDW are designed to look good all the time.

It always looked like scaffolding in the sunfilled hours. It is of linear design and appeared as though it had been dropped from the sky. Anything that sparkles at night looks great... if it doesn't sparkle by day, then it had better be pretty regardless. HS and its light show is beside the point... The park is ugly already. Epcot deserves something more creative, modern, surprising and compelling.

Example: Christmas tree fountains lit white in the lagoons on either side of the bridge with lasers that make points within them sparkle with lights of different colors. Thousands of lights embedded in the lawns that are used for flower and garden festival around the lagoons that continuously change scenes and sparkle decorative motifs. Topiaries in the planters on either side that are lit up with thousands of sparkling lights with white lasers that shoot out of the beds at night creating a grand arch or shooting straight up as if a grand cathedral. That is EPCOT. Pretty by day, surprising and pretty by night.

I agree the LoW were less than impressive in the day. At night however, they really did come alive and were gorgeous to walk under. :eek:

Here's the thing: what you described in the last part of your post sounds amazing and, I agree, is much more in line with the kind of high-tech holiday display you'd expect to find at Epcot. With that said, we're not getting that. LoW was what we had and now its gone with no suitable replacement. If what you posted had been announced as the replacement for the LoW, this thread wouldn't be here. I dare say most of us would be excited to see what this new display looks like. Instead, there is nothing. The thing that has us frustrated and disappointed the most is that Disney takes away the LoW with no explanation and with no upgraded substitute for them.

Taking something away and replacing it with something new is fine. Taking something away and replacing it with nothing is unacceptable.

Horizons1

Normally I'd agree here, but this the Disney Parks Blog we're talking about and not a fan made site like WDWMagic; its THEIR site. I might also add that the creation of this blog was done with people like us in mind as a way to distribute news and other information about the parks. To have over 70 comments about the same thing in a negative light will get some attention somewhere.

But even so, we are not Disney's key market. Disney knows that most of the people on the blog will come back whether the LoW make a return or not. They're not too worried, even with that many complaints.

While not exactly the same thing, when the CBJ Christmas Special was suddenly stopped a few years ago, there was a big fuss about it and tons of people called Disney. It didn't do much because Disney knows people are still going to come whether it's there or not.

Biff215

JT - Please stop making up phony excuses for every move Disney makes. We all know it comes down to money whether we like it or not. Even though the relative cost of LoW is probably rather low in the whole scheme of things, savings are savings when it comes to the bean counters who make these decisions.

The LoW aren't offending anyone and Disney knows it. It's just another special touch that is easy to do away with in their eyes. The less they have to do, the bigger the profit in the long run (well at least they hope it will be, we may know better).

And by the way, no one here is trying to get you into trouble with Steve. You're doing a fine job of that on your own.

asianway

But even so, we are not Disney's key market. Disney knows that most of the people on the blog will come back whether the LoW make a return or not. They're not too worried, even with that many complaints.

While not exactly the same thing, when the CBJ Christmas Special was suddenly stopped a few years ago, there was a big fuss about it and tons of people called Disney. It didn't do much because Disney knows people are still going to come whether it's there or not.

The groundswell of support for the Adventurer's Club & Comedy Warehouse did not do anything, I do not think there is much hope for LoW either

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom