Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Biff215

The groundswell of support for the Adventurer's Club & Comedy Warehouse did not do anything, I do not think there is much hope for LoW either

I agree that this might be a losing battle if a decision has already been made. However, reopening and staffing two clubs might be a harder sell than sending out the crew to set the arches up for a month. JMHO.

KeithVH

Just held a family meeting tonight. Loss of LoW was the proverbial "last straw" for us. We hit our 30 day mark today and will go and have a great time. However, this will be our last trip to the World.

It's not just the loss of one thing, as others have pointed out, but the constant reduction of offerings, over a long period of time, that we can no longer accept. We've been going frequently since our youngest was 6 and she is now entering college so all of our kids have, in their words, grown up with Disney. Total spent over this time, excluding airfare, is $45K+.

There have been good changes and bad changes over the last 12+ years. The company was fairly consistent with the vacation experience that an average visitor (or even a somewhat rabid one) would receive that each change, in and of itself, wasn't problematic. But when you consider the changes from the mid 90's compared directly to today and ignore the incremental deltas, you see a much more drastic picture.

There's too many other great places out there waiting to take my money that still offer a complete "package" relative to the vacation experience. Hawaii, the Carribean, the National Parks - they all lost out to "time to go back to Orlando." That's no longer the case.

I'll dutifully write my letter. Heck, DW and I still have plans to retire there in 15-20 years and work part-time. But I'll no longer give them my money. I'm both sad and relieved about this at the same time. It's time to move on, take in new sights and experience new things I guess.

MythBuster

They are putting up the Epcot tree tonight and that is another bad sign, they always put up LOW before the tree.

But they are going to have a local gospel group sing at the fountain stage 4 times a day. They are called D'Vine Wind.

WDW1974

I admit that I am taking a perverse amusement by this development.

Not because I am happy about LoW being added to the list of things Disney takes away annually to be replaced by pixie dust and marketing magic. Far from it. Especially with my own holiday trip coming up in mere weeks.

But amused that finally the vast majority on what has always been considered a very pro-WDW, pro-management site is rallying against this latest cut. That sure should scare the (blank) out of TDO. ... Hell, I kinda think it already does. The fact that you guys (and kudos for it) have been able to hijack one of their happy threads with your comments ALL ENTIRELY on this likely had folks in major meetings all day because they didn't expect it (they're very slow at Disney) and have no idea how to deal with it.

If they make all your posts disappear, then they'll look very bad at this point. Especially since the whole point of the Disney Blog and D23 and 'Social Media' (a term that makes me cringe in the same way Homeland Security and Patriot Act do) is to get you all away from places like this and buying into the corporate agenda.

You can't blame them ... most fanbois have the attention span of a kitty chasing a light beam.

Also amused that anyone (OK, just one dude from New Mexico) thinks this is anything but a money-cutting move.

Some advice, if you want to turn up the heat even more would be to call to Dan Cockerell, Erin Wallace and Meg Crofton. Especially the first two, since Meg is a figurehead that does nothing. Call the main switchboard number and ask to be transferred to the individual in question. Emailing the execs directly (perhaps while CCing to individuals in Orlando media circles might get you some attention as well).

Oh, BTW, any of you fanbois see all the holiday stuff being ADDED at HKDL this year? How about anywhere else? You know at DL you don't have to pay extortion to The Mouse and Phil Holmes in order to see the Christmas parade and pyro, right?

Anyway, too busy to spend much time posting, but am enjoying your little adventures.

Oh, and add to the list of Christmas things removed in the past decade the amazing and intricate displays at WL and YC ... and Miss Minnie's Country Christmas show at the Diamond Horseshoe ... and even the great dinner show at the Contemporary Convention Center that's name is escaping me right now. ... And I'm sure there are other things too (we'll leave out NYE at PI for obvious reasons!)

JeffH

Holiday cutbacks too much, special parties no longer special.

With all the holiday cutbacks year after year (aside from the addition of the beautiful castle lights), this will be the 1st year in a decade that we will probably skip Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which EVERY year we 1st saw Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas, and until it was cut... the Christmas show in the Diamond Horseshoe, the Country Bear Xmas Show, the fancy cookies, the free family pictures (although the photopass system would be fine with me if the discount was more like 80%)...and thinking WAY back the beautiful giant white blue-lit Christmas trees that used to flank the castle...Oh, and the increasing cost every year from about $29 to $59.
We can see the parade Christmas week before we go on our NYE Disney Cruise, and see the special fireworks (the only added thing since it began) from the Contemporary parking lot. (or do they shoot the special Christmas fireworks the week of Christmas along with the parade?)
This was also the 1st year in over a decade that we missed Halloween (although we DID try for 10/31, but it was sold out). Halloween's cuts (the special riverboat ride, the Halloween show in the Diamond Horseshoe, the games <I didn't notice them last year, but might have missed them???>), along with like price increases have made this party no longer worth it (compared with just going to the park).

...and in regards to the Osborne lights being moved to NY Street, (they are no longer the Osborne lights if they are not in a community). I would have moved them to Epcot, America. America lacks a nice restaurant and any of "real" America, so I'd build a little "American" neighborhood around and behind the pavilion, where some quaint homes, businesses, a little church, a park, a crafts store, a "real" restaurant (like a Cracker Barrel) can be found. "Elm Street" where they are selling jams and jellies from they front porches. The Osborne Lights would make sense here, back in the community.

vintageepcot

I wonder if they just dont realize how much something is loved. They dont remove things for a reason. I see better light displays closer to my house. Trust me on this, if they can have an amazing light display... disney can do the LOW and more. This display had arches like LOW, and a long road with all that stuff. I have a feeling something will pull thru especially after all the outrage, maybe not all the archways if the plan was to keep them down but I think we will see a change in plans. dont get your hopes up but don't give up the fight.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/11/disney-parks-blog-weekly-recap-3/#comments

74 of the 75 comments are people complaining about lights of winter. We still don't have anything from Disney.

It seems to me that maybe many of us are reaching our breaking point. They have been taking and taking and taking over the years, and guests have been putting up with it. While I don't think this is the worst thing they have ever done, it seems to be the straw that broke the camels back. I am very glad to see people getting up in arms over this. I am a DVC owner, and while I won't be selling, I also won't be splitting up my points into two trips over the course of the year. I will go once in the spring and that will be all. They need to try and win me back, I want to be won back.

I will be at DisneyLand this coming august for my honeymoon, I could not be more excited. Over on that side of the country it seems to me they get it right more often lately.

raven

It's probably either Epcot CMs are lazy, people got offended by the Christmas stuff, or the money isn't there.

I'm guessing the latter of the 3.

Watch what you say. There are plenty of us on here.

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."

Exprcoofto

I admit that I am taking a perverse amusement by this development.

Not because I am happy about LoW being added to the list of things Disney takes away annually to be replaced by pixie dust and marketing magic. Far from it. Especially with my own holiday trip coming up in mere weeks.

But amused that finally the vast majority on what has always been considered a very pro-WDW, pro-management site is rallying against this latest cut. That sure should scare the (blank) out of TDO. ... Hell, I kinda think it already does. The fact that you guys (and kudos for it) have been able to hijack one of their happy threads with your comments ALL ENTIRELY on this likely had folks in major meetings all day because they didn't expect it (they're very slow at Disney) and have no idea how to deal with it.

If they make all your posts disappear, then they'll look very bad at this point. Especially since the whole point of the Disney Blog and D23 and 'Social Media' (a term that makes me cringe in the same way Homeland Security and Patriot Act do) is to get you all away from places like this and buying into the corporate agenda.

You can't blame them ... most fanbois have the attention span of a kitty chasing a light beam.

Also amused that anyone (OK, just one dude from New Mexico) thinks this is anything but a money-cutting move.

Some advice, if you want to turn up the heat even more would be to call to Dan Cockerell, Erin Wallace and Meg Crofton. Especially the first two, since Meg is a figurehead that does nothing. Call the main switchboard number and ask to be transferred to the individual in question. Emailing the execs directly (perhaps while CCing to individuals in Orlando media circles might get you some attention as well).

Oh, BTW, any of you fanbois see all the holiday stuff being ADDED at HKDL this year? How about anywhere else? You know at DL you don't have to pay extortion to The Mouse and Phil Holmes in order to see the Christmas parade and pyro, right?

Anyway, too busy to spend much time posting, but am enjoying your little adventures.

Oh, and add to the list of Christmas things removed in the past decade the amazing and intricate displays at WL and YC ... and Miss Minnie's Country Christmas show at the Diamond Horseshoe ... and even the great dinner show at the Contemporary Convention Center that's name is escaping me right now. ... And I'm sure there are other things too (we'll leave out NYE at PI for obvious reasons!)
Nice post (not being sarcastic). Removing the LoW has become a real eye opener for many people, including myself. I also find it extremely frustrating how all the other parks around the world are getting a ton of Christmas specialties at no cost, but at WDW we have to pay an additional price just to see some Christmas specialties which should be offered to everyone, all the time during the Holiday seaason.

WDW Vacationer

CONFIRMED. LoW will be no longer...ever. It was confirmed to us last night in our preshift meeting. Instead they are hoping to start entertainment at the Fountain Stage area, this year featuring the gospel group "DiVine."

Entertainment is great,but not as a replacement. Every park but AK has lights(AK really can't). They need to at least provide a tree lighting.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

*sigh* :(

aladdin2007

Well its nice to have new entertainment and music, but the lights of winter was just so nice and colorful that a choir is not exactly a replacement. Why does Epcot continue to get the shaft? Maybe they have to use all those lights to finish/fix SE. :brick:

Oddysey

This is very very disapointing. As passholders my wife and I really look forward to this every year. We went to Epcot for a short while Saturday and we were actually talking about how excited we were the LoW would be up the next time we decided to go to Epcot.

Replacing something like this with a show is a very bad choice. Why does Disney always eliminate choices while on some occasions having a replacement that is often inferior. Why not add the show and keep LoW to continue and expand choices for guest. Prices rise annually reflecting more choices in the parks and eliminating options does not justify annual price increases that surpass inflation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom