Trip Report Let's go to Disney World...TONIGHT. Our Spontaneous June Trip Report.

Yep. We decided to go to Disney World and flew there just a few hours later. Craziest thing we've ever done! Let's introduce the cast of the most spontaneous trip we've ever taken!

Your Host...your Ghost Host (ME!)
Jess

And my darling fiance - Bill

This would be our 6th trip to Disney together (once a year every year we've been dating) and our last trip together as a "single" people! We are getting married in just a few months on October 12th! Just a little background about us...

We got engaged in front of Spaceship Earth in 2011. SSE is my absolute favorite ride and I have a total crush on that big beautiful geosphere. It's borderline obsessive. I also enjoy eating lots of food, Ursula the Sea Witch, matching tshirts and I cry a lot. My fiance is not a fan of the heat, a huge fan of sit down ADRs, Winnie the Pooh, The Haunted Mansion and sleeping.

This trip was crazy unexpected for a few reasons...
1 - I had just went to Disney with my mom and sister in March
read all about it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bad-spring-break-crowds.863449/

2 - I have plans to go to Disney...then a Disney cruise...and then Disney again in September
read all about THAT here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-unofficial-the-13-unofficial-wdwmagic-girls-cruise.816925/

3 - My fiance had just graduated from medical school on June 1st. He started orientation for his surgical residency in Wilkes Barre, Scranton - about 5 hours from our home - on June 19th. Also - Bill was a groomsman in a wedding on the 8th. We were moving on Saturday the 15th. So we really had no time to jet off to Disney. So there go our hopes of a vacation together...destroyed...lost forever...OR SO WE THINK...

So we were starting to pack a few things for the move on Tuesday June 11th. Bill starts talking about how much it sucks that he won't get a vacation this year (my family was going to the beach the week of his orientation so he only got to attend for 2 nights...the arrival and departure) and that once residency starts we won't see each other nearly as much and blah blah blah we should have taken a vacation.

To which I respond - well what are you going to do? (I'm gonna do the best I can...) and he says "We should have gone to Disney." and I say "We still can...but we have so much to do" and Bill says...just call them and see what a room would be for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. So I do and I tell Bill and he goes "Wait...." and comes back 5 minutes later..."Ok book it - our flight leaves at 6:45pm - just wanted to make sure we have flights before we book it."
:eek: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Um ok ok you got it.

AND WITH THAT...we had a 3 night stay at All Start Sports booked with 2 day park hoppers. So what's a girl to do? Pack? Call her parents who are coming to help pack on Friday? Nope - I get online and book some ADRs! This trip we booked all new restaurants - Tonys for dinner, Rose and Crown for Dinner and a surprise ADR at Boma for breakfast on Friday (Bill has been dying to try Boma)

THEN...I started packing.

That's my traveling to Disney swag. I always wear an EPCOT shirt on the plane TO Disney. Usually this one. Getting so excited.

We each packed one bag...drove through Taco Bell...and headed to the airport.

plaz10

Original Poster
Back at the hotel.

WAIT. I didn't have dessert at Rainforest Cafe. Time to remedy that

I know this is a basic snack found everywhere in Disney. But it's one of my favorites!!! YUM!

We took a quick nap in the glorious AC. But since we're at Disney - I was up and nagging Bill to get back to the parks. Dressed and ready to gooooo!

Back to EPCOT. We had ADRs at Rose and Crown!

Which means...

If you didn't guess "Spaceship Earth photo shoot" You're not paying close enough attention.

And again I said "Do you know how many pictures of this mural I have?"

SSE was amazing as always. I teared up as always. I fall more in love with the ride each visit...descent and all!

Bill and I were both hungry for a snack.

Bill just fell in love. I had to buy chocolate bananas at home because he never knew how much he enjoyed them until now.

AW you're not Mickey shaped but you're here so you'll do.

Please let there be a party today....please let there be a party today...

SUCCESS!

In addition to chocolate covered bananas - my fiance LOVES tequila. So naturally La Cava de Tequila is one of his favorite places. Today he decided he was going to try the flight of tequilas.

He enjoyed them. I enjoy my tequila with some mix and salt.

plaz10

Original Poster
Instead of walking around all of WS...we went back to start at Canada since we were eating at UK and our ADR was dangerously close.

Question for @tiaragirl - are all fences in Canada like this?

I think they should be. It's festive.

Another new ADR! Yay!

At first we were seated outside. No thank you. It's hot. And we're not trying to stay until Illuminations. The waitress was very nice about it.

Bill ordered some kind of curry chicken. Because that sounds like authentic English cuisine.

That's his rice.

I got Fish & Chips

Ok I've had fish and chips before. BUT HOLY CRAP THIS WAS REALLY GOOD. That tartar sauce was outstanding.

I truly enjoyed this meal. We will definitely be returning in the future. We had no room for desserts. Not even at...

Dude...that's ice cream with booze! Come on stomach gimme some room. Nope. Damn. Next time.

We didn't really have a schedule. So we decided to just stroll around WS.

Damn what's in that water? R&C tartar sauce? yeah I'd nom nom nom for that too.

You're pretty.

I really really really want these wine glasses. But they're a bit expensive and I never drink wine.

plaz10

Original Poster
Ok so maybe now I could eat dessert. Maybe a little.

This is shortbread with caramel on top and nuts on that. Bill's choice.

Apple oatmeal caramel cookie. I loooooooove you.

Oh yeah...I forgot that when we got back to EPCOT - our FPs were good...but the ride was down. We had flirted with the idea of waiting 15 min to ride maelstrom and then use the FPs and head to Magic Kingdom for the evening. But then Bill's cousin (who he hasn't seen in 10 years...the man has 36 first cousins. Now you see why we couldn't get married in Disney) texted who lives in Orlando. We recently saw his parents and they mentioned him going to school in Orlando. Bill said "we're heading to MK next - do you have an AP?" to which the cousin replied...

I'VE NEVER BEEN TO DISNEY WORLD. :eek: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? You've gone to school here for over a year and have never been to Disney? Now Bill and I had a one day one park ticket we've had for years. I said tell him to drive over NOW and we'll meet.

Er wait...we still have a Test Track FP to use. Tell him we'll meet him in an hour.

I let Bill design the car all by himself. Since I've done it before I didn't want to hold him back.

That's our wheels. Bill enjoyed the ride but wasn't WOWed by it. "Still the same ride" Yep.

Well it was time to go - we had to get over to MK to meet Jared. So a few parting shots...

UP NEXT: Taking a newbie to Magic Kingdom - with only 2 hours left until closing!

gwhb75

I took this picture because I don't remember Garden Grill being hosted by Smuckers in the past. Can anyone confirm this? Or am I just crazy?

Well...I'm no psychologist, so I can't comment on your mental state, but I can tell you that you are correct that the "Hosted by Smuckers" is new. Here's a picture of the sign from September/2012 (and, naturally, only Disney geeks would have pictures of restaurant signs to compare...):
IMG_7869.jpg

plaz10

Original Poster
Well...I'm no psychologist, so I can't comment on your mental state, but I can tell you that you are correct that the "Hosted by Smuckers" is new. Here's a picture of the sign from September/2012 (and, naturally, only Disney geeks would have pictures of restaurant signs to compare...):
IMG_7869.jpg

THANK YOU! I went back into my pictures and since I have a new comp I only had 1 trip on there and the only GG sign I had was the one near the hostess stand - so I just wanted to make sure. I knew it looked different! So I'm not...TOTALLY crazy:confused:o_O:D

gwhb75

THANK YOU! I went back into my pictures and since I have a new comp I only had 1 trip on there and the only GG sign I had was the one near the hostess stand - so I just wanted to make sure. I knew it looked different! So I'm not...TOTALLY crazy:confused:o_O:D
Glad to be of assistance :)

Disney80

OMG I'm dying of laughter here... the bathroom thing at Epcot *giggles*

I am from Canada and nope, our fences are nowhere close to look like that. In my neck of the woods anyways ;)

plaz10

Original Poster
Awesome TP, now i'm really excited for my trip in 20 days after reading this! :)

Awesome! 20 days will FLY by! Have fun!

Ice cream with booze?!? Sign me up for that!!!!!

You know...the more I thought about it - I worry that the booze will overpower the ice cream and i love ice cream. so maybe ill get booze to drink with my ice cream lol

OMG I'm dying of laughter here... the bathroom thing at Epcot *giggles*

I am from Canada and nope, our fences are nowhere close to look like that. In my neck of the woods anyways ;)

This trip I thought -ill take pictures of stuff ive never taken before...the bathroom definitely counts!

It's a shame about the fences...I kind of like them!

plaz10

Original Poster
June 13th continued...

We met up with Jared at MK around 10. Wishes had just started. We walked in and watched a bit from Main St. Yep I cried. About halfway through we took off for Liberty Square. Jareds first Disney ride ever was The Haunted Mansion! So great! He loved it.

I believe we then rode Under the Sea then Pirates of the Carribbean and right at 12 we got in line for Splash Mountain.

When we came out...we headed towards the castle. Jared had said at the beginning of the night "Do they keep it lit up all night? Because I have to get a picture" Eek I love seeing Disney excitement on NEwbies!

As we were walking out - I told Jared he needed an MK snack...anything Mickey shaped!

Jared got one of the rice krispie treats. I went for the brownie.

Eh it was just OK. We parted ways and Jared thanked us greatly. And to think...he only had 2 hours in the parks - imagine what a few days would do!

We went home and went to bed. We had breakfast ADRs at Boma in the morning! Oh and Disney's Unmagical Express that makes me go home!

Up Next: More Cereal and Airline Delays.

(Also - I am going out of town for the next 2 weeks - going home to Pittsburgh for my bridal shower! I'll be updating it as soon as I return!)

Tidbit

nooooooooo you can't just leave me "hanging!!" .....HURRY BACK! HURRY BACK! HURRY BACK!! and don't forget to update!!!! LOL..............and I thought the same thing when I saw your picture for "John"!! Wow I bet he would freaking love those!!! Yup, John you are "known" wayyyyyyyyyyy to well on this page by a bunch of crazy strangers!

Loved that you cried on RnR which is one of my faves too!! The start always freaks me out then bamm I am jamming UPSIDE DOWN.......oh yeah gotta love it!!!

If I was NOT allergic to pork I would totally hit the Poly for Cpt Hooks!!! That sandwich looked gooooooood!!!

Ok I must know "why" don't you like AK?? I mean just look at the details EVERYWHERE! I'm not an animal fan, but I at least make it to AK for a "half-day".......the "big" rides sort of suck, and I wish EE was back in it's glory, but it still has "something" that each time brings me back. Plus my youngest son loves loves loves animals!!!

After looking at all of your pictures I must have gained 10lbs.....and a cavity! LOL

TrolleyFollower91

I was so excited to see this TR! However now I'm bummed that I'll have to wait 2 weeks until the next installment! I suppose bridal showers are an okay excuse...

I love spontaneous Disney trips! They are truly the best. :cat: Also your food pictures kill me. And by kill, I totally mean I love them!!

LeCellier.Lover

AH newbie fun! :D How awesome and nice of you guys to share your one day ticket with him!
All of those desserts had my mouth watering.. :inlove:
Have a great time at home! :)

JIMINYCR

Fantastic TR... Thoroughly enjoying the photos and your story. My DW is in the other room... I read your opening piece about how the trip came about... and YELLED TO DW.. listen to this unbelievable thing they did. You are sooo lucky to be able to make this happen.
Good luck on the upcoming wedding and his surgical residency when you get back. The memories of this Disney trip will help carry him through all that hard work.

bmarkelon

Ugh, I can't tell you how many times I've been upset with my stomach for not having more room for tasty treats I want to try while down there!!! I also get misty eyed over pretty much everything down there and during these emotional moments I reflect on how magical it is that I appreciate it all every time.

PartOfYourWorld

LOVE THIS SPONTANEOUS TRIP REPORT. Well the trip was spontaneous...not the report lol Need to do this sometime (before we have kids like way 5 years in the future)

Oh and you'll be proud. Mike's favorite park is EPCOT. I overheard him talking to our friend how much he loved EPCOT this weekend while we were in line for a ride at Six Flags...I knew I found a right one...talking about another theme park while not in that theme park and saying how amazing EPCOT was an the countries...seriously :inlove:. Figured you would appreciate that.

Anyways back to the trip...Those fish and chips look soooooo yummy from Rose and Crown. Making a mental note I need to eat there sometime. Also that ice cream has booze in it in France? Where the hecks have I been?!?!?! lol.

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. And I hope you have an awesome Bridal Shower!!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom