Trip Report Let's go to Disney World...TONIGHT. Our Spontaneous June Trip Report.

Yep. We decided to go to Disney World and flew there just a few hours later. Craziest thing we've ever done! Let's introduce the cast of the most spontaneous trip we've ever taken!

Your Host...your Ghost Host (ME!)
Jess

And my darling fiance - Bill

This would be our 6th trip to Disney together (once a year every year we've been dating) and our last trip together as a "single" people! We are getting married in just a few months on October 12th! Just a little background about us...

We got engaged in front of Spaceship Earth in 2011. SSE is my absolute favorite ride and I have a total crush on that big beautiful geosphere. It's borderline obsessive. I also enjoy eating lots of food, Ursula the Sea Witch, matching tshirts and I cry a lot. My fiance is not a fan of the heat, a huge fan of sit down ADRs, Winnie the Pooh, The Haunted Mansion and sleeping.

This trip was crazy unexpected for a few reasons...
1 - I had just went to Disney with my mom and sister in March
read all about it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bad-spring-break-crowds.863449/

2 - I have plans to go to Disney...then a Disney cruise...and then Disney again in September
read all about THAT here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-unofficial-the-13-unofficial-wdwmagic-girls-cruise.816925/

3 - My fiance had just graduated from medical school on June 1st. He started orientation for his surgical residency in Wilkes Barre, Scranton - about 5 hours from our home - on June 19th. Also - Bill was a groomsman in a wedding on the 8th. We were moving on Saturday the 15th. So we really had no time to jet off to Disney. So there go our hopes of a vacation together...destroyed...lost forever...OR SO WE THINK...

So we were starting to pack a few things for the move on Tuesday June 11th. Bill starts talking about how much it sucks that he won't get a vacation this year (my family was going to the beach the week of his orientation so he only got to attend for 2 nights...the arrival and departure) and that once residency starts we won't see each other nearly as much and blah blah blah we should have taken a vacation.

To which I respond - well what are you going to do? (I'm gonna do the best I can...) and he says "We should have gone to Disney." and I say "We still can...but we have so much to do" and Bill says...just call them and see what a room would be for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. So I do and I tell Bill and he goes "Wait...." and comes back 5 minutes later..."Ok book it - our flight leaves at 6:45pm - just wanted to make sure we have flights before we book it."
:eek: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Um ok ok you got it.

AND WITH THAT...we had a 3 night stay at All Start Sports booked with 2 day park hoppers. So what's a girl to do? Pack? Call her parents who are coming to help pack on Friday? Nope - I get online and book some ADRs! This trip we booked all new restaurants - Tonys for dinner, Rose and Crown for Dinner and a surprise ADR at Boma for breakfast on Friday (Bill has been dying to try Boma)

THEN...I started packing.

That's my traveling to Disney swag. I always wear an EPCOT shirt on the plane TO Disney. Usually this one. Getting so excited.

We each packed one bag...drove through Taco Bell...and headed to the airport.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
We're staying at the Poly before the cruise so we should DEFINITELY meet up for lunch since we're planning on Captain Cook's!! Never been but that pork sandwich looks DELISH and I could definitely go for that PBJ cupcake! Mmmmm.... yumm-o!!! What time does your flight land?!

HAHAHAHA @ Yumm-o.

WDW_Princess24

I love that you guys just picked up and went, how freakin awesome! Continue to cry away, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who does it haha. Can't wait to read more!

djpoore94

We also fantasized about trips like that "Wouldn't it be great if we could have dinner at Via Napoli tonight instead of Pizza Hut?" Haha! I would have never pulled that trigger solo if Bill hadn't pushed me - thank God he did because it was amazing.

My camera is actually Bill's - its a Lumix point and shoot - and thats all I know about it. I'm sorry! It's blue! Haha. I'm no photography expert by any means. When he's home from work - perhaps he can tell me exactly what it is and I'll let you know!

Thanks for reading!

Ha! I'm the same way with cameras, I have a fairly cheap Samsung, but all I know about it is the brand!

plaz10

Original Poster
If we were allowed to swear on this forum...

The swear words I would use to describe this would STILL get me banned. My god.

Honestly - when I took the pic...I thought nothing of it. And then when I looked at them while doing this TR I thought "Holy heck that cupcake looks so good" and then "OMG DOES JOHN KNOW ABOUT THIS?"

I love the fact you just randomly went to Disney!! That is so great! I love the TR so far, keep it coming!

It was wonderful. Although now that we've done it - I find myself saying to Bill...we could always just take a spontaneous trip! Which in retrospect is counterproductive - as I'm planning a spontaneous trip haha.

Great TR, cant wait to read more!

Thanks!! More to come tomorrow!

You guys are so fun! What an awesome last minute trip!
That Dole Whip picture is absolutely hilarious. Hilarious!

It was really one of our best trips! Bill kept saying he felt bad for the kid because she left him and people would think he did it. hahaha.

Can't believe you guys just said "let's go to Disney" and just hop on a plane that same day. Wow!

Can't wait to read more...especially your love affair with SSE.

I know! One of the best decisions we've ever made! But now I really want to do it again.
Oh there is MUCH SSE love to come. She's my favorite!

plaz10

Original Poster
Omg this is fantastic! I cant imagine the excitement of a last second trip. Those cupcakes look amazing! Just something else Ive seen on this forum that I have to eat.

It was definitely exciting! Oh Disney cupcakes are amazing. Red Velvet Cream cheese at Starring Rolls is my favorite!

The spontaneous trip....I did one with my youngest son for 2 nights once. We left within 15 hours of the decision. I still smile when I think of it today...almost a "take that life, I am not going to live by proper vacation planning techniques!" We had a great time and I got to spend some great individual time with him.

Your decision to go to MK instead of back for a nap...right there with you!

One can never have too much dole whip.

Best of luck with the upcoming wedding!

Ah aren't they great trips? Bill and I really enjoyed having some time alone together and in Disney of all places - just wonderful! MK instead of the nap - fun but not wise. But when you've only got 2 days...ya gotta do what you gotta do!

Thanks so much for the well wishes!

Wow!!! How awesome to pick up and just go to WDW! Jealous! :D

Well we figured before kids and such...it was now or never!

We're staying at the Poly before the cruise so we should DEFINITELY meet up for lunch since we're planning on Captain Cook's!! Never been but that pork sandwich looks DELISH and I could definitely go for that PBJ cupcake! Mmmmm.... yumm-o!!! What time does your flight land?!

My flight lands at 9:40 am. Crazy early. But I'd rather be super early than late. I'm definitely up for some Captain Cooks! I don't think I'm going to the parks that day - just gonna enjoy the resort since who knows the next time I'll be staying at BLT. But some Poly chips are definitely on the agenda!!

plaz10

Original Poster
I love that you guys just picked up and went, how freakin awesome! Continue to cry away, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who does it haha. Can't wait to read more!

I don't come off as a crying person if you met me - but I seriously cry at most TV shows, movies and Disney moments. I'm a sap!

I love this! It sounds like fun, just dropping everything and flying off to the happiest place on earth! That's defiantly on my bucket list now! Can't wait to see more!

It's a great bucket list item!! I highly recommend it.

Great report so far! Love that Epcot tee, I have one just like it. And those cupcake pictures...yum!

I love my EPCOT tees. Another one may or may not make an appearance on day 2!

Way to be girl! I'm such a type-A that sometimes I ruin my own fun. I'm thing to be more spontanious . I'm trying.

All your planning is just preparing for a spontaneous trip. Like...when we booked a trip - I didn't have to review restaurants or anything...I had a list of places Bill and I would like to try when not on DDP and once I saw what ADRs were available - it was easy!

Love the fact that you just said, LET'S GO! And you did!

That's awesome! Can't wait to read more.

Thanks for reading!! More fun to come!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly - when I took the pic...I thought nothing of it. And then when I looked at them while doing this TR I thought "Holy heck that cupcake looks so good" and then "OMG DOES JOHN KNOW ABOUT THIS?"

No, he had no idea about that at all.

PolynesianPrincess

My flight lands at 9:40 am. Crazy early. But I'd rather be super early than late. I'm definitely up for some Captain Cooks! I don't think I'm going to the parks that day - just gonna enjoy the resort since who knows the next time I'll be staying at BLT. But some Poly chips are definitely on the agenda!!

We land at 10:15am so we're pretty early as well!! I wonder if we will see you on DME at all since our flights aren't too far apart landing. I know BLT and Poly are on the same DME route! That'd be sweet! We'regoing to be spending most of the day by the pool. We have an ADR at Garden Grill at 4:30 so we're going to go to Epcot for that. If we didn't have AP's we'd probably just stay at the resort all day.

plaz10

Original Poster
We land at 10:15am so we're pretty early as well!! I wonder if we will see you on DME at all since our flights aren't too far apart landing. I know BLT and Poly are on the same DME route! That'd be sweet! We'regoing to be spending most of the day by the pool. We have an ADR at Garden Grill at 4:30 so we're going to go to Epcot for that. If we didn't have AP's we'd probably just stay at the resort all day.

AH that would be so cool if we ended up on the same DME bus! Yeah I plan on exploring Contemporary a bunch - plus just exploring the monorail resorts. I'm definitely going to be fighting the urge to go into the parks! I may just ride the monorail to TTC and transfer to EPCOT just to ride that monorail around the park and see some SSE. But that may make it harder to NOT go into the parks!

A bunch of cruise girls are planning to go dinner at 1900 Park Fare at GF at night...but I don't know if I'm going to go - I really have my heart set on Wishes from the Top of the World lounge and I wouldn't want to rush through dinner or worse - not get there early enough and it be full by the time WIshes starts. Ugh. First Disney World Problems.

fractal

There have been many times I've seriously considered just packing up and heading to WDW spur of the moment - very awesome that you actually did it!

Yes, definitely best place to pee in the World. :)

As for Capt Cook's - ate there everyday last week. After seeing that lady's Dole whip I feel a bit cheated. The Polyenesian Chicken Salad, btw, is great!

Love the report!

plaz10

Original Poster
There have been many times I've seriously considered just packing up and heading to WDW spur of the moment - very awesome that you actually did it!

Yes, definitely best place to pee in the World. :)

As for Capt Cook's - ate there everyday last week. After seeing that lady's Dole whip I feel a bit cheated. The Polyenesian Chicken Salad, btw, is great!

Love the report!

I do have a 2nd favorite place to pee in the World...that is coming up on day 2!

Poly chicken salad sounds awesome. With Poly chips on the side of course!

plaz10

Original Poster
Thursday - June 13th

Up early as usual! Down to the resort for breakfast.

I know it's crazy...of all the options I choose this. BUT I have my reasons...
1 - Its a very light breakfast so that I may eat more in the parks
2 - Apple Jacks are delicious.

Bill has a standard bagel and cream cheese

Untoasted - because he's weird.

Out to the bus stop ready to go.

BOUNCING with excitement because...

YESSSSSS. Finally.

First glance...

There she is. In all her geospheric glory. I simply never get tired of looking at this icon. It's truly a masterpiece in terms of size and quality AND there's a freaking amazing ride in there? That plus all the memories...can only mean 1 thing. Cue the waterworks...

Spaceship Earth...I love ya...but Soarin and Test Track build much bigger lines throughout the days and I gotta grab FPs from them first. Don'tbemadKbyeloveyouseeyoulaterrrrrrrrrrrr

Me...being the LOVING fiancee that I am - told Bill that he could choose whether we do Soarin twice (as in grab a FP and get in standby) or Test Track (since he's never rode the new one). [Note: I always choose Soarin]

And wouldn't ya know...

Ah it's like one mind ;)

Damn you rides with your beautiful scores and smells and amazingness...AND I'm crying again. GAH I love that Soarin' music.

plaz10

Original Poster
We then took a ride on Living with the Land. This is one of our favorites. I think Bill likes it for the educational aspect and taking a peek "behind the seeds" at how things are made in EPCOT (nerd alert) and I just like it because it's Disney and it's EPCOT and it's awesome. Duh.

A small box of cereal and a bagel is NOT enough for us. Time for a post breakfast snack. Because those are totally real things needed in a healthy diet.

SO close to getting a cheese danish when they put out these little beauties...

That's a guava cream cheese filled croissant type pastry deliciousness. Bill actually spotted it. Nice work, pal. (don't you love how I pepper my commentary with Soarin' quotes WHILST I'm writing about being in the Land pavilion? You're welcome.)

It was very yummy...could have used more filling though. Pretty much what foods DON'T need more cream cheese?

EPCOT makes me so so so happy.

Into my favorite store in all of Disney...

We decided to try our luck at Vinylmation trading again. I was so desperate to trade John Carter. When luckily I found one I didn't hate.

It's a cruise Mickey! Perfect since I am cruising in about 39ish days with some wdwmagic ladies!

Time to go get a new FP for Test Track!

And then I felt like training for a Mission to Mars.

Cool new entrance area

Look our capsule (imagine me imitating the lady's accent from the ride as I say this to Bill over and over...he was impressed by my impression:rolleyes:)

plaz10

Original Poster
Time for some free caffeine.

As per usual - the Ginger Ale was my fav...because it's just regular ginger ale and I like it.

Time to pee - which way to the Tangled area? Oh wait...wrong park. Guess I'll settle for my 2nd favorite bathroom....

Any guesses?

Does this help?

my favorite bathroom in EPCOT is in the Innoventions area...

And it looks like this inside...

(right as I was taking this...a lady walked in. Probably thought I was quite the creeper)

And it's my favorite restroom because they play the Innoventions loop INSIDE the bathroom. SO I can pee and listen to my favorite Disney music of all time. Also it's usually empty.

Moving right along...

Soarin' FPs to use

I took this picture because I don't remember Garden Grill being hosted by Smuckers in the past. Can anyone confirm this? Or am I just crazy?

Wasted Segway Space. I am happy that Bill and I did do the Segway tour once before it closed but it was super cool and could see us doing it again. Whomp whomp.

plaz10

Original Poster
Time to head OUT of the park. It was crazy hot and getting crowded. Bill was getting a bit cranky. We decided to go somewhere for the lunch. I think we were debating lunch spots and thinking about traveling to a resort. But what good is leaving EPCOT without a ride on Spaceship Earth?

Without further ado - a photo shoot of THIS, OUR SPACESHIP EARTH.

Holy mother F that's a crazy huge line. Love you SSE but we'll see you when we come back for our dinner ADR!

Engagement spot!

Ok so we step out of EPCOT and we're still deciding. I think we had a place in mind but didn't want to wait for a bus? Or decided on Beaches n Cream and weren't going to go back into EPCOT to get the boat and there weren't any buses? I don't remember. I do remember a bus pulling up right then - and I had a wonderful idea. So here we gooooooo.

That's right. I actually CHOSE to get on an Animal Kingdom bus. And if you're read any other TRs you'll know I really don't like AK at all. Like...at all. Like I don't even like Avatar but it has a chance of making me WANT to go into that park if they produce a good E Ticket attraction. I usually go once on longer trips because Bill makes me. And I had to go last trip with mom and sister because my sister loves it and apparently "it's not only my vacation." But yes - as the AK bus pulled up - I said let's get on...for 2 reasons.

1 - It was so hot - I didn't want to wait for another bus.

AND

Yep. A lovely sit down lunch was just the ticket. And technically I did have to go through bag check to get into AK to go into the restaurant so that totally counts as me visiting AK this trip.

There was a 15 minute wait for a table OR seats at the bar. The bar it is. And since we're at the bar and it's so hot out...

Margarilla. A margarita mixed with orange sherbert. Delicious and refreshing!

Appetizer was some crab dip. That was fantastic. And probably enough for us to have gotten just that because we were quite full already.

BUT

We split a burger as well because WHY NOT.

Excellent choice.

Eating is the only thing that gets me near your park. WILD indeed.

Bus back to All Stars, please.

Gracias.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom