Trip Report Let's go to Disney World...TONIGHT. Our Spontaneous June Trip Report.

Yep. We decided to go to Disney World and flew there just a few hours later. Craziest thing we've ever done! Let's introduce the cast of the most spontaneous trip we've ever taken!

Your Host...your Ghost Host (ME!)
Jess

And my darling fiance - Bill

This would be our 6th trip to Disney together (once a year every year we've been dating) and our last trip together as a "single" people! We are getting married in just a few months on October 12th! Just a little background about us...

We got engaged in front of Spaceship Earth in 2011. SSE is my absolute favorite ride and I have a total crush on that big beautiful geosphere. It's borderline obsessive. I also enjoy eating lots of food, Ursula the Sea Witch, matching tshirts and I cry a lot. My fiance is not a fan of the heat, a huge fan of sit down ADRs, Winnie the Pooh, The Haunted Mansion and sleeping.

This trip was crazy unexpected for a few reasons...
1 - I had just went to Disney with my mom and sister in March
read all about it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bad-spring-break-crowds.863449/

2 - I have plans to go to Disney...then a Disney cruise...and then Disney again in September
read all about THAT here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-unofficial-the-13-unofficial-wdwmagic-girls-cruise.816925/

3 - My fiance had just graduated from medical school on June 1st. He started orientation for his surgical residency in Wilkes Barre, Scranton - about 5 hours from our home - on June 19th. Also - Bill was a groomsman in a wedding on the 8th. We were moving on Saturday the 15th. So we really had no time to jet off to Disney. So there go our hopes of a vacation together...destroyed...lost forever...OR SO WE THINK...

So we were starting to pack a few things for the move on Tuesday June 11th. Bill starts talking about how much it sucks that he won't get a vacation this year (my family was going to the beach the week of his orientation so he only got to attend for 2 nights...the arrival and departure) and that once residency starts we won't see each other nearly as much and blah blah blah we should have taken a vacation.

To which I respond - well what are you going to do? (I'm gonna do the best I can...) and he says "We should have gone to Disney." and I say "We still can...but we have so much to do" and Bill says...just call them and see what a room would be for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. So I do and I tell Bill and he goes "Wait...." and comes back 5 minutes later..."Ok book it - our flight leaves at 6:45pm - just wanted to make sure we have flights before we book it."
:eek: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Um ok ok you got it.

AND WITH THAT...we had a 3 night stay at All Start Sports booked with 2 day park hoppers. So what's a girl to do? Pack? Call her parents who are coming to help pack on Friday? Nope - I get online and book some ADRs! This trip we booked all new restaurants - Tonys for dinner, Rose and Crown for Dinner and a surprise ADR at Boma for breakfast on Friday (Bill has been dying to try Boma)

THEN...I started packing.

That's my traveling to Disney swag. I always wear an EPCOT shirt on the plane TO Disney. Usually this one. Getting so excited.

We each packed one bag...drove through Taco Bell...and headed to the airport.

plaz10

Original Poster
This morning - woke up - hung around - decided to go to Disney and NOW IM ON A PLANE TO FLORIDA

Crazy excited.

We decided to start this vacation off riiiiiight....

One for you - one for me!!

Clear skies

We landed at MCO and headed straight to DME. I had to actually go up to the desk to give my confirmation number because obviously we didn't have an travel documents.

LET'S GET IT STARTED

If by "It" you mean tears then yes...I started crying a bit when watching the Welcome video. It's so crazy that just a few hours ago my week was to be filled with packing and not fun stuff and now I'm on Magical Express? I squeezed Bill's hand and he gave me that "knowing" look - we were truly lucky. And beyond excited.

We got into All Star Sports (first time staying there) rather late - so we just checked in and headed to the room. (I took TERRIBLE notes this trip so I'll mostly be going of pictures and memory). We were staying in the Baseball section - not too far of a walk from the main building. As we passed the pool we decided for a late night swim - we are on vacation after all!

After a quick swim we headed back to the room to get some sleep!

Wednesday June 12th

GOOD MORNING...NO SLEE....wait what? That isn't Stitch. ITS MIKE WAZOWSKI WITH ONE "I" Telling me its going to be a monstrous summer day. Cool stuff.

Had to take some pics of our favorite college footballs...Mine are Pitt Panthers and Bill's is Iowa Hawkeyes. Neither of which had/or will have great seasons in the future.

plaz10

Original Poster
TIme for breakfast. Which means...a little bit of FP. I do not mean fast pass...

I know I can get a whole box of cereal for 2.49 but I really love cereal.

Every trip I say I'm gonna get an apple turnover and every trip I DONT get an apple turnover.

We ended up splitting a breakfast platter which was quite delicious.

Curse you unshaded bus stops. You are BRUTAL in the summer heat! We were sweating by the time we got on a bus. But hey...we're in Disney and on our way to a picture perfect day at Disney's Hollywood Studios!

Bill was running off to get Toy Story FPs. I strolled through DHS just snapping away - happy to be back.

With FPs in hand we headed over to RnRC. My personal favorite at DHS. 2nd favorite ride in all of Disney.

WOOT WOOT. FIRST RIDE IN DISNEY

Craziest thing happened which has never ever happened to me on RnRC - I cried. Tears of joy. Right at the launch - clearly the best part. But I think I just couldn't believe I was back here with Bill - something we didn't think would happen this year. And on one of my favorite rides. And just hearing the THREE...TWO...and launch? Sweet emotion indeed. I'm quite the sap. Disney really brings it out of me.

plaz10

Original Poster
While wait times were still low...we headed to Star Tours

I don't remember every scene - but I know we had Storm Troopers (whomp whomp) and pod racing...which was a first for both of us!

It appears that next we hit up the Great Move Ride

Again - I did not use the flash but the flashing lights of the 2nd Alien interaction make for GREAT pictures!

plaz10

Original Poster
It was quite hot out - we decided for a nice cool treat..

But what to choose? We went with a classic Disney staple..

This is my oh so attractive face saying "No no picture taking of food is of just the food - not me shoveling it into my mouth" You're welcome.

Time for Muppet Vision 3-D. This is Bill's favorite show on property and I was sad to see it without him in March.

Presented by no one.

Again I missed the pre - show (same thing happened in March) which is a good thing to not have to wait but...it's one of the best pre - shows around!

We then decided to vinylmation trade a bit. This was our original dude - got him from Disneystore.com for $3.99 and free shipping. Apparently it's John Carter.

But we didnt actually trade him at all that day. We found the trading to be more of a chore of finding places than actual OO WE ARE EXCITED TO TRADE. I believe the fad has worn off.

We stopped in Art of Animation to beat the heat and just look around.

The Oscars are back! In March they were gone for the filming of 'Saving Mr. Banks' which I am very excited to see.

Alright - time for some more food. I told Bill he could pick and he picked Starring Rolls (good man).

@blackthidot head just exploded.

Bill decided on the chocolate peanut butter cupcake - we always go for the red velvet cream cheese and one time the butterfinger so this was a new cupcake to us!

Verdict? It was good but not amazing. It was hard to eat and it just didn't WOW me the way the RVCC cupcakes does. Bill liked it more than me...but not more than the RVCC!

We went through Sweet Spells to try to trade John Carter...but we didnt get anything remotely cute so we just passed.

Tried to do a @HollyBelle Mirror shot - I'm really just not good at these shots lol.

plaz10

Original Poster
We headed back to RnRC to ride single rider

Amazeballs as always.

We still had time for our Toy Story FPs so we decided to go waste it in One Man's Dream.

Very cool stuff. We actually watched the movie which was a first for us both. Love you Walt!

Finally time for some TOY STORY ACTION!

And I dominated my fiance and which I did not gloat at ALL about ;)

BEST THIS HOUR. HOLLA!!!!!!!!!

Alright it was time to leave DHS.

It was summer and it was hot. [Rachel was there. A lonely gray couch. Oh look cried Ned and the kingdom was his forever. the end.] So it was getting crowded at the other parks and we decided to resort hop to grab some lunch. Off to the Polynesian!

First time at Captain Cooks and spoiler alert - will definitely NOT be the last!

I got the Aloha pulled pork with the Poly Chips.

Good. Lord. The poly chips ARE TO DIE FOR. Seriously love them. The sandwich was good but HUGE - Bill and I could have easily split it.

Bill got the adult grilled cheese (got as in I made him because I couldn't decide between pulled pork and grilled cheese)

Also good - should have gotten more Poly chips instead of fries. Rookie mistake.

For dessert we split a Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake.

Twas quite delicious. The cake was a little dry but it was still a decent cupcake.

As we're finishing up - we see this lady who was clearly on a mission to get the most bang for her buck when it came to the self serve dole whip. She set it in front of her son as she went to get more spoons.

I don't know whether I'm embarrassed for her or impressed. Do you really need all that dole whip? Actually...it was pretty hot out...

We just hung around the Polynesian for a while in the lobby. It's so peaceful and beautiful there. Definitely high up on our Must Stay at list when we have the money.

Up Next: The Most Magical Place on Earth. Though it would be more magical if they were able to cool down the temperature.

tiaragirl

Yay, what a whirl wind! I remember your FB status about taking off - so proud of a spontaneous trip and JEALS that it's so much easier/cheaper for you guys to get flights to FL.. GRRR different countries!

Looking forward to this. Please document all the tears.. it makes me think of places I still need to shed one or two ;) I think you're right, between the two of us there's likely few places we haven't cried..

Kristia

Wow! Now that is what I call spontaneous! How awesome is that?! I would love to do that but with all our animals, it takes some planning. Maybe someday.... So great you guys were able to take a trip like that.

Somehow the cereal in those little boxes on vacation always taste better than they do at home! Sometimes I pack the mini boxes so we can have breakfast in the room.

All of those cupcakes look so good. For my upcoming trip, I really want to make it "a cupcake adventure". I need to try the red velvet and the butterfinger ones for sure. That strawberry one looks awesome too.

The Captain Cooks sandwiches look so good. Your report just started and you are seriously making my hungry already! I want the grilled cheese with some Poly chips please and that Dole Whip....geez...I guess you gotta give her props for talent, but have some humility!

PolynesianPrincess

YAY!! I remember when you commented on my FB status that you were at the airport, waiting to go to Disney and I didn't believe you!! haha. But how awesome that when you woke up that morning you thought it was going to be another day at home - then BAM - you're on your way to Disney!!!! Loves it!!!!

bmarkelon

This is totally awesome!! We just did a crazy last minute Disney trip this past April. Decided on a Friday that we would go the following Thursday. That was crazy exciting, I can't imagine deciding that day and leaving!! Super cool.

djpoore94

Totally digging the spontaneous trip. DH and I have often had the fantasy "If we left for the airport now we could have dinner in WDW" conversation, but never had the guts to pull the trigger and do it.

Can I ask you what camera you have? You're pictures are amazing and from the mirror shot it looks to be a fairly small camera. I'd love something that takes great pictures, but is still small enough to not have to lug a huge camera bag around!

plaz10

Original Poster
How cool are you!!! That would be sooo awesome to say I wish I was a Disney and then Poof your there. I'm a little bit jealous right now. :)

Aw thanks so much! It was definitely an amazing experience. I don't see it happening very often but it was definitely awesome! But for me - a compulsive planner - I was so stressed for the hours from booking until the flight...finding ADRs, checking park hours, refurb schedules, etc...but it was still one of the best trips ever!

Yay, what a whirl wind! I remember your FB status about taking off - so proud of a spontaneous trip and JEALS that it's so much easier/cheaper for you guys to get flights to FL.. GRRR different countries!

Looking forward to this. Please document all the tears.. it makes me think of places I still need to shed one or two ;) I think you're right, between the two of us there's likely few places we haven't cried..

I seriously could not believe Bill when he was all "Go ahead and book it now that we have flights." I thought he was kidding. We've never done anything like that. That is quite the bonus of living in USA and where we were living - there was a smaller airport only 20 minutes away with free parking. Crazy easy!

Document ALL tears? Thats a lot of documentation. Well some of them will be repetitive from trip to trip...like Wishes and riding SSE but I'll document them again! The tears on RnRC were definitely a first! I think that because it was the first ride of the trip and I had never dreamed I'd be back again until September that it brought on the tears. But don't worry - more tears to come!

Wow! Now that is what I call spontaneous! How awesome is that?! I would love to do that but with all our animals, it takes some planning. Maybe someday.... So great you guys were able to take a trip like that.

Somehow the cereal in those little boxes on vacation always taste better than they do at home! Sometimes I pack the mini boxes so we can have breakfast in the room.

All of those cupcakes look so good. For my upcoming trip, I really want to make it "a cupcake adventure". I need to try the red velvet and the butterfinger ones for sure. That strawberry one looks awesome too.

The Captain Cooks sandwiches look so good. Your report just started and you are seriously making my hungry already! I want the grilled cheese with some Poly chips please and that Dole Whip....geez...I guess you gotta give her props for talent, but have some humility!

Thanks so much! We have no pets, no kids - so it was the perfect time for a trip!

Cereal is literally one of my favorite foods - so I definitely hit up that bin of boxes on one morning! Cupcake adventures sound like a GREAT adventure! Starring Rolls and resort quick services have the best cupcakes - the ones on Main St/Sweet Spell/etc...are just pure sugar icing with no flavor. Specialty cupcakes are the way to go!

I REALLY want some Poly chips right now. YUM! Thanks for reading!

This is AWESOME! Gotta love off the cuff trips!

It was a first for us - but it was so fun - I don't think it will be the last. SO much fun! Thanks for reading!

plaz10

Original Poster
YAY!! I remember when you commented on my FB status that you were at the airport, waiting to go to Disney and I didn't believe you!! haha. But how awesome that when you woke up that morning you thought it was going to be another day at home - then BAM - you're on your way to Disney!!!! Loves it!!!!

It was such a total shock - I didn't believe it either! I kept saying "I can't believe I'm doing this. We don't do stuff like this. This is so not like us!" But it was a truly amazing trip. I really hope to do another one some day!

That blackthidot comment was well placed. Cracked me up.

On my last trip I texted him a pic of the strawberry shortcake with "nom nom nom" and I got a...less than family friendly response. Hilarious!

that is amazing!!! So cool!

It was great!! Thanks for reading!

Thats prety awesome how you booked and went so fast! Thats so cool!

It was really great - one of the best trips ever! Thanks for reading!

This is totally awesome!! We just did a crazy last minute Disney trip this past April. Decided on a Friday that we would go the following Thursday. That was crazy exciting, I can't imagine deciding that day and leaving!! Super cool.

I am now in love with last minute trips. It's like that anticipation of months crammed into just a few hours. It was definitely worth it - so much fun!!

plaz10

Original Poster
Totally digging the spontaneous trip. DH and I have often had the fantasy "If we left for the airport now we could have dinner in WDW" conversation, but never had the guts to pull the trigger and do it.

Can I ask you what camera you have? You're pictures are amazing and from the mirror shot it looks to be a fairly small camera. I'd love something that takes great pictures, but is still small enough to not have to lug a huge camera bag around!

We also fantasized about trips like that "Wouldn't it be great if we could have dinner at Via Napoli tonight instead of Pizza Hut?" Haha! I would have never pulled that trigger solo if Bill hadn't pushed me - thank God he did because it was amazing.

My camera is actually Bill's - its a Lumix point and shoot - and thats all I know about it. I'm sorry! It's blue! Haha. I'm no photography expert by any means. When he's home from work - perhaps he can tell me exactly what it is and I'll let you know!

Thanks for reading!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom