News Lasseter taking leave of absence

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From Vanity Fair -

"According to interviews with more than 10 current and former Disney and Pixar employees, Lasseter often crossed boundaries with them, particularly when he had been drinking. One former male employee described traveling to a film festival with the executive and being asked to bring him to a strip club. “He’d get dances and point at me to pay for it,” the employee said. “I was supposed to entertain him. It was so uncomfortable. He liked to have a good time. He liked his wine.”

Female employees describe discomfort with Lasseter’s physical affection, which included close hugs, and kisses on the lips if a woman failed to turn her face in time. “After one of those hugs, we’d joke to each other, ‘Boxers or briefs?’” said one former Pixar employee. At a recording session, she described an encounter that led her to feel strange around her boss. “He leaned into my monitor and whispered into my ear, ‘You look so beautiful, that light in your eyes,’” the former Pixar employee said. “It was the way a lover would talk to you. I remember him touching my back or leg or knee and just feeling . . . ugh. And then we talked about the work.”

bclane

You make some fair points but this probably isn’t the place to discuss the culture of masculinity.
Honestly, I’m not really sure what you mean by that, but there is no possible way to justify what he or any of these people have done. If my post came across as trying to excuse them, then I guess I’ll have to be more careful with my words next time.

ToTBellHop

Honestly, I’m not really sure what you mean by that, but there is no possible way to justify what he or any of these people have done. If my post came across as trying to excuse them, then I guess I’ll have to be more careful with my words next time.
Justify? Of course not. More explain the culture that leads to the shocking number of men who find this sort of behavior acceptable. The #MeToo campaign makes it apparent just how commonplace this type of behavior is.

jrhwdw

Watched ABC tonight, John was a passing note, not a story at the end of Rose's story with no Coco footage, just pics of him. Hopefully no Media outlet is planning on using Coco footage! Any chance it'll stay just a passing note/story esp with the Holiday Weekend coming up: families not watching much news, hard news anchors off for the holiday. So maybe it won't affect Coco too much? I've been hearing some good things on Twitter about Coco before tonight. Might see next week, Hopefully it'll still be in UltraScreens next week after this news.

On to the bigger Problem: GOOD GRIEF!!!!!! What is going on here?!?!? I'm shocked about John and Charlie from last night . Charlie was well respected I know.

Along with the people in DC, Spacey and Weinstein,
why is this exploding now???

I'm hoping Hollywood changes the way they do movies. Less sex and a LOT less cheating( it just looks bad after Weinstein)
Coco hopefully still has the chance to be a great movie and stand apart from what Hollywood has to offer.

PS Saw " The Star" today. Finally a good Movie! Even if it was geared to people below me age!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Watched ABC tonight, John was a passing note, not a story at the end of Rose's story with no Coco footage, just pics of him. Hopefully no Media outlet is planning on using Coco footage! Any chance it'll stay just a passing note/story esp with the Holiday Weekend coming up: families not watching much news, hard news anchors off for the holiday. So maybe it won't affect Coco too much? I've been hearing some good things on Twitter about Coco before tonight. Might see next week, Hopefully it'll still be in UltraScreens next week after this news.

On to the bigger Problem: GOOD GRIEF!!!!!! What is going on here?!?!? I'm shocked about John and Charlie from last night . Charlie was well respected I know.

Along with the people in DC, Spacey and Weinstein,
why is this exploding now???

I'm hoping Hollywood changes the way they do movies. Less sex and a LOT less cheating( it just looks bad after Weinstein)
Coco hopefully still has the chance to be a great movie and stand apart from what Hollywood has to offer.

PS Saw " The Star" today. Finally a good Movie! Even if it was geared to people below me age!

Why is this exploding now? Because women feel more is at stake and are now willing to no longer be silent.

ToTBellHop

Why is this exploding now? Because women feel more is at stake and are now willing to no longer be silent.
And it’s about freakin time. I hated guys like this in high school and college and am happy to see them finally get their comeuppance. They’ve given the rest of us men a bad name for long enough. Some of the stories my wife shares from when she was younger make me SO angry.

TP2000

It's time for John to retire and enroll in 2 or 3 twelve step programs.

No. If the Vanity Fair allegations are true, it’s time for John to be fired.

If this was a 25 year old employee in the Burbank mail room, or a 40 year old assistant manager at Tomorrowland Terrace, they would be fired for that behavior. There’s no good reason why John would be allowed to get away with it and all other Disney employees would not be.

Last edited:

Rteetz

Rashida Jones came forward after this news and said she did not leave the company due to unwanted advances. She and Will McCormack left due to creative and philosophical differences. They remain enormous fans of Pixar films but Pixar is a culture where women and people of color haven't had equal opportunities. They hope Pixar can be more encouraging and promote more diverse and female story tellers. They also said they are happy people are coming forward about being uncomfortable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom