News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Goofyernmost

Seems like it's coming out everywhere. I'm not condoning any activity, but, just from observation I'd have to say that no one is exempt from those possibilities. So news flash... Humans are sexual beings. If this is the first you have heard of it, then that rock you have been living under has been quite hard to see out of.

Hollywood, has always been, notoriously, a hot bed of stuff like that. Do the words casting couch, ring a bell. People have been talking about it for as long as there has been a Hollywood. Politics is another. Power automatically attracts people. That doesn't mean that anyone should take advantage of stuff just because it is well known, but, it is a wonder as to why it took so long to come to the surface. The whole thing really hinges on just how far the harassment went. I'm not faulting anyone for coming forward with the information, however, I'm thinking that it is a good thing that there are things such as test tube babies because without them the population is going to decline out of fear. What I don't understand is how the public (or is it not the public) reacts so strongly to this stuff and at the same time creates a leader out of the same mold. It doesn't make it right, but, at the very least, the playing field ought to be leveled whereas all that are convicted of that crime should get the same consequence.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Apparently at DCA there's a "Casting Couch" sign somewhere, which I thought was funny. I didn't realize though, that casting couch always had such an illicit meaning, thought it was more recent

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Let's see how the evening news associates Lasseter with Disney/Pixar. I'd imagine they'll lump a story together with the Charlie Rose stuff.

Watching PBS Newshour and they have lumped Lasseter in with Rose, Moore, Franken, Conyers and others.

They also reported that a survey showed nearly 30% have either experienced or witnessed sexual harrassment in the workplace. Wow.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Apparently at DCA there's a "Casting Couch" sign somewhere, which I thought was funny. I didn't realize though, that casting couch always had such an illicit meaning, thought it was more recent

It's the entertainment version of "sleep with me if you want this job"..... Has existed in both the film and theatre industries for decades. And yes, it's real.

Bairstow

The implication is old, it's just that the general public opinion of such practices has fairly recently evolved from, "Welp, that's how Hollywood works," to "This is wrong and needs to stop now and the guilty must be punished."

CIMG2453.jpg

I can understand the shape, but did they really have to make it pink?

LAKid53

Premium Member
The implication is old, it's just that the general public opinion of such practices has fairly recently evolved from, "Welp, that's how Hollywood works," to "This is wrong and needs to stop now and the guilty must be punished."

View attachment 245832

I can understand the shape, but did they really have to make it pink?

I'm sure someone in Corporate thought it was hysterical....and thought few would get the "joke". Men and their sophomoric humor....... *shakes head*

TP2000

I was always quick to joke about this in the past regarding Lasseter, but I mean this in all seriousness now... Disney needs to book Lasseter into the Betty Ford Clinic as part of his six-month leave.

Something tells me he won't be returning to Disney or Pixar six months from now, if he even makes it through Thanksgiving weekend still employed. But his drinking problem is obvious and appears to be a big part of the sexual harassment equation here.

Bairstow

Its really too bad if folks don't go see Coco because of his actions. Hundreds if not thousands worked tirelessly on this awesome flick and I'd hate for their hard work to be undermined by his poor judgement.
According to some of the reports, Pixar and Disney have already had to enter into settlement agreements with some of Lasseter's victims, and yet still he was allowed to maintain a position of power and authority.
Nothing against John Q. McTexturemapper, but the only way to force companies like DisneyPixar to do what is right is to hold them accountable financially. For some, that may mean skipping Coco.

LAKid53

Premium Member
According to some of the reports, Pixar and Disney have already had to enter into settlement agreements with some of Lasseter's victims, and yet still he was allowed to maintain a position of power and authority.
Nothing against John Q. McTexturemapper, but the only way to force companies like DisneyPixar to do what is right is to hold them accountable financially. For some, that may mean skipping Coco.

And that's how it works in most of the corporate world.

MerlinTheGoat

Any chance we can now cancel that stupid Pixar Pier overlay as a show of solidarity?

Worth a shot, right?
I'd be down with that, as long as we can cancel Toy Story 4 too. Or the various Pixar overlays to Epcot.

Jokes aside, if Disney execs had any spine they'd actually fire the man for this garbage. But it looks like they're opting to tuck him away until this blows over instead. They know full well how valuable he is to their business and are probably deathly terrified of losing even a tainted cash cow. Lasseter is the face of Pixar at this point, but he is also the glue holding the main Disney animation studios together as well. Perhaps second only to Harvey Weinstein, Lasseter being fired would probably be the most devastating blow to the media industry yet. And creativity wise at least, Lasseter is far more valuable than even Weinstein. It would be difficult finding a suitable replacement.

So it's a real shame that when enough money is on the line, certain people will get a pass for these actions and likely more people will be on the receiving end of this behavior. I wonder what his wife Nancy has to say about this.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom