News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I bet there are individuals both directly associated with Disney/Pixar and indirectly asociated that have knowledge of this and other devious acts of employees that are probably a bit concerned about info they may have and the actions they did or did not take with said info. Interesting times for sure.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Some of the accusations have surprised me. I know very little about John Lasseter, but this one doesn't surprise me at all. Everything I've seen publicly is that this is a man that is not in control of many aspects of his life.
Care to elaborate? I know most of the execs names but do not know much past the basic media stories you see about them

Princess Leia

Other than Walt, does the general public really associate specific individuals with Disney or Pixar movies? I agree the timing of the news is bad for Coco, but would it really hurt the film that much? Even with advance ticket sales?
Not currently involved with Disney or Pixar, but George Lucas is going to be tied with both (and Lucasfilm) forever. That’s the only other person I can think of who would be on the same level as Walt or Lasseter.

I highly doubt this will have an effect on ticket sales though.

Bairstow

Other than Walt, does the general public really associate specific individuals with Disney or Pixar movies? I agree the timing of the news is bad for Coco, but would it really hurt the film that much? Even with advance ticket sales?

There's no real way to measure the impact of something like this on a film's success. You're right that the general public does not associate Lassiter with the Pixar brand in any way close to the way they might associate individuals whose companies are named after them (Disney, Weinstein, etc.) but the real danger for Pixar is that the timing of this disclosure so close to the release means that the last few news cycles relevant to their company are going to focus on Lassiter's alleged improprieties, not their film.

I can already picture in my mind what the minute-long TV news coverage of this will look like; exterior footage of the Pixar campus, promotional clips of Coco, and slow pull-ins of photos of Lassiter in his goofy shirts while the newscaster narrates facts about the scandal over it.

I don't see ABC's coverage looking like that, but you can bet Fox and NBC, both of whom are tangentially connected to rival animation studios, will have every reason to leave the viewer associating Coco with allegations of workplace harrasment.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Any impact on toy story land with this news?

Doubtful. This scandal may take a small bite out of Coco's domestic gross, but the Pixar name likely won't be permanently damaged... unless a LOT of nasty stuff about multiple employees comes out in the near future.

Even if it did, Toy Story Land is too far along now to stop.
The real question is whether this could delay the rumored Epcot Mexico Coco attraction.

I am still holding onto the hope that Tom Hanks is a good man.
Yeah, I was just thinking that I wouldn't be able to handle that.

Clamman73

Let's see how the evening news associates Lasseter with Disney/Pixar. I'd imagine they'll lump a story together with the Charlie Rose stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom