News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Lets Respect

Should a person exuding niceties and warmth in the workplace (even in a laid-back work environment) where the individual acts as both CEO and wacky father figure to employees be penalized if they are unaware that their quirky identity or the character persona created gives off a creepy-vibe?

Tens of millions of men in the U.S. manage to work with women without being creepy.

AEfx

But if he implicated powerful people...he would have been destroyed behind the scenes and been wrecked in courts financially...

Because the power system is rigged in that fashion.

He really couldn't do more at that time. And his reputation would have disqualified him within many...including possibly law enforcement.

What's the saying?...power is about money, and all other things are about power.

That's a fact.

I get it but he wasn't doing any good two years ago when he was saying this stuff. If he didn't want to name his accusers, he shouldn't have given "hints" that could have been multiple people. He damaged innocent people in the process. He was just selling his damn book.

AEfx

Would you have mature detachment when served a meal prepared by a man who molested your daughter?

Why should the work of a molester not be tainted? Especially, precisely, a creative product. If you have a great painting in your living room, and years later you find out the painter in between painting it molested your 15 year old, would you leave it hanging?

You are talking two different things. In that extreme example, if it happened to your family personally, yes, I can see that would be an issue.

But if you want to start down this route, people would go far beyond molesters, and find a way to throw out 80%+ of all films and literature ever created - including absolutely everything with the Disney name. And you know what? The current SJW culture would *love* for that to happen.

It's very odd this new thing we have about judging art based on who created it. I see it in literary circles where the first question is not about the text anymore, but the author. This goes against pretty much the entire history of art and literary criticism.

WDW1974

Not a whole lot to add here beyond a few notes you may find interesting:

John was basically sent out of the country to avoid media attention when Disney realised that Zenia's bullying wouldn't keep this buried.

The vast majority of shock about this sordid tale isn't coming from people who know him or in animation cicrles.

I personally know for a fact that Zenia has spent the last 36 hours harassing a big name reporter who is working on a story that is more detailed about what happened. She personally received at least a dozen calls of a threatening nature from Zenia herself.

Opinion here now ... Disney is so hoping some other scandal breaks by next week to take attention away from this because this story and what it may lead to could ... could ... wind up ending Bob Iger's tenure with the company sooner than expected. As to people who bring up his political ambitions, I am not at all sure that he still truly harbours them.

PizzaPlanet

Not a whole lot to add here beyond a few notes you may find interesting:

John was basically sent out of the country to avoid media attention when Disney realised that Zenia's bullying wouldn't keep this buried.

The vast majority of shock about this sordid tale isn't coming from people who know him or in animation cicrles.

I personally know for a fact that Zenia has spent the last 36 hours harassing a big name reporter who is working on a story that is more detailed about what happened. She personally received at least a dozen calls of a threatening nature from Zenia herself.

Opinion here now ... Disney is so hoping some other scandal breaks by next week to take attention away from this because this story and what it may lead to could ... could ... wind up ending Bob Iger's tenure with the company sooner than expected. As to people who bring up his political ambitions, I am not at all sure that he still truly harbours them.
Disney should create their own controversy and reopen HoP. It would be the perfect sleight of hand.

WDW1974

How about doing a 'song of the south' disappearing act on all properties that lasseter worked on, obviously they are tainted....

You are talking about multiple multi-billion franchises. Would you take Toy Story 4 and Wreck It Ralph 2 and Frozen 2 out of production? Remove all theme park attractions, resorts etc.? Stop selling all merchandise?

That is crazy talk there. John has had his hands directly on every film to come from Pixar, every one. And on every film from WDFA since Meet the Robinsons. And countless others have as well. Even if you just talk about the films that are truly his, do you know how many others created that cinematic MAGIC?

People are just going to have to live with it, and I don't think it's going to bother most. It doesn't seem to be having any effect on Coco at the box office.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem is the last couple of generations of power brokers got greedy and wanted the whole pie for themselves (and largely got it). Previous generations understood that one must at least maintain the appearance of acting as a public servant and govern accordingly. Not so the past couple of generations who see themselves as rulers and everyone not at their level is a serf.

You're preaching to the choir on this one..

WDW1974

I'm being serious, just watch how fast every reference to Lasseter is removed from public facing materials.

I'm also betting that Lasseter not being fired outright means hes got the goods on higher ranking individuals.

To your first point, on the corporate level, I have heard that is already happening. But that isn't trying to remove his credits from films or books etc. That can't and won't happen.

As to your second point, you might be more correct than you even could imagine. You don't spend decades in that type of position and not compile vast portfolios of information and evidence against others.

WDW1974

Oh no, I cede that to you - your post was certainly the #1...I have to settle for #2. ;)

In any case, glad to see you poke in - hopefully you'll also stop in to your old stooping ground (#15!) and give folks an update on how your new site is coming along - they ask about it every once in awhile, and I know your fans (me included!) would love an update. It would also be great if you would weigh in on some of the more recent big (non-sexual) Disney news - I'm sure you have a really unique take on the Disney/Fox buy-out talks we would love to hear.

I guess you may have a point. I may if I have time. Lots going on personally and that always takes precedence. It certainly has been an eventful fall on so many fronts.

Oh, and an almost belated Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Time for leftovers!

WDW1974

Then in 10 years, **** like this will happen.
Daddys-Home-2-intl-poster-600x889.jpg

Yeah, because we all know Mel isn't the same anti-Semitic, sexist pig he always was.

I do admit to wondering why the others, and I know one of the other three (no, not good friends or anything, I just know him), opted to work with him. It likely was just an easy payday for all. That's why bad holiday films cone out every year with big names in them.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yeah, because we all know Mel isn't the same anti-Semitic, sexist pig he always was.

I do admit to wondering why the others, and I know one of the other three (no, not good friends or anything, I just know him), opted to work with him. It likely was just an easy payday for all. That's why bad holiday films cone out every year with big names in them.
I guess you may have a point. I may if I have time. Lots going on personally and that always takes precedence. It certainly has been an eventful fall on so many fronts.

Oh, and an almost belated Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Time for leftovers!
Any thoughts on the possible Disney / Fox buyout or did that fizzle out? Happy Thanksgiving

Daveeeeed

Unfortunate news, but this is nowhere near as bad as Harvey Weinstein or others. Ludicrous to be making comparisons. I don't want to state my opinion as fact, but John Lasseter shouldn't be fired if he truly apologizes and goes to rehab for his drinking and vows to stop his odd touching of legs etc. I think a change in Pixar's policies is obviously due, but the whole concept of people skipping, for instance, TSMM is insane. Lasseter is a genius, he's a troubled guy, but he is nothing short of that. If, and I mean IF, worse accusations are to come then he should probably resign or be fired, but as it stands right now, he just needs help. He is by no means the victim though, in fact, far from it. But again, as it stands, and from what I know, I don't think it would be fair to completely disgrace the guy. What he did was wrong, but it really does not warrant a guy that has also done tremendous good to be sent to hell like some people are wanting. Again, that could all change with a worse story, but I hope you get what I mean.

People are so quick to want to destroy people's lives. We need to stop judging every damn thing. This guy has been an alcoholic and instead of hating the guy we should try to make better of this. He needs help. Please don't take this post out of context, and with a rational mind, you should get what I mean. Let's wait for the story to develop and if it eventually warrants him being fired then let that happen. In the meantime, let's not act like everyone is so innocent. People do S%#$ty things. It's the sad truth, but I really don't feel morally right to not give this guy any grace (based on the current information we have).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom