News Lasseter taking leave of absence

GlacierGlacier

It was an observation, and an accurate one as well.
We currently have no idea what the hold-up is at WDI in regards to HoP. The sign outside says they're still preparing for our newest president. They have released no information in regards to the opening nor the refurbishment. That is an observation. Drawing any kind of conclusion from that information, such as "WDI is so butthurt about the election" is an assumption.

Donaldfan1934

They don't need to. Again, we come to no one in the general public really has a clue who he is. I'll be honest - I don't follow executives - even as someone who is decently knowledgeable about the parks and their history, I knew he had something big to do with Pixar, but it's only a name big fans would recognize.
Did you even read my comment? I said that I did NOT feel that way because of what's going on with Lasseter, but because I've always had the conviction that the movie itself was completely unnecessary from the day it was announced.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They don't need to. Again, we come to no one in the general public really has a clue who he is. I'll be honest - I don't follow executives - even as someone who is decently knowledgeable about the parks and their history, I knew he had something big to do with Pixar, but it's only a name big fans would recognize.

All thats necessary is to remove his name from the credits and the SJW brigade will be satisfied.

JL will have to deal with the fact that his alcoholism led to this conclusion.

He needs a 12 step program not burning at the stake, Weinstein however ...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We currently have no idea what the hold-up is at WDI in regards to HoP. The sign outside says they're still preparing for our newest president. They have released no information in regards to the opening nor the refurbishment. That is an observation. Drawing any kind of conclusion from that information, such as "WDI is so butthurt about the election" is an assumption.
Last I "official" thing I think they released was that they were waiting on the WH to do the recordings...and the WH has been sitting on it over a script dispute or something...

(shrug)

peter11435

It's now been closed twice as long as it has ever needed to close between presidents before. 3-4 times longer than most times.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Last I "official" thing I think they released was that they were waiting on the WH to do the recordings...and the WH has been sitting on it over a script dispute or something...

(shrug)

And many of us have advocated going back to the old way where the sitting president does not have a speaking role. Or as others have suggested just have the sitting president recite the oath of office.

Having the president speak was an attempt to curry favor with the Clinton Administration so Disney would have a fast track to government goodies. A bad idea then a bad idea now.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
All thats necessary is to remove his name from the credits and the SJW brigade will be satisfied.

JL will have to deal with the fact that his alcoholism led to this conclusion.

He needs a 12 step program not burning at the stake, Weinstein however ...
I doubt that will be enough for them.

Take, for example, the statement made by Jones and McCormack:

“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible. We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. That said, we are happy to see people speaking out about behavior that made them uncomfortable. We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences. There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films. However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice. We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

Lets step through this:

“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible. We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue.

Translation: John didndu nuffin. (basically, gossip is gossip)

That said, we are happy to see people speaking out about behavior that made them uncomfortable.

Translation: But, we aren't going to question the narratives of others (nothing wrong with that)

We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences.

Translation: John didn't like our ideas for the script. We thought John was wrong.

There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films. However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice.

Translation: They didn't like our ideas because...white male patriarchy!

We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders.

Translation: The story ain't right if it's made by a white (male)

We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.

Virtueeeeeeeee! Marginalized peoples of the world UNITE!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And many of us have advocated going back to the old way where the sitting president does not have a speaking role. Or as others have suggested just have the sitting president recite the oath of office.

Having the president speak was an attempt to curry favor with the Clinton Administration so Disney would have a fast track to government goodies. A bad idea then a bad idea now.
That should have been their response, yes, agreed. And, carry it forward.

Daveeeeed

I doubt that will be enough for them.

Take, for example, the statement made by Jones and McCormack:

“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible. We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. That said, we are happy to see people speaking out about behavior that made them uncomfortable. We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences. There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films. However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice. We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

Lets step through this:

Translation: John didndu nuffin. (basically, gossip is gossip)

Translation: But, we aren't going to question the narratives of others (nothing wrong with that)

Translation: John didn't like our ideas for the script. We thought John was wrong.

Translation: They didn't like our ideas because...white male patriarchy!

Translation: The story ain't right if it's made by a white (male)

Virtueeeeeeeee! Marginalized peoples of the world UNITE!
100% true. What happened creatively had nothing to do with race/gender/etc. just different storytelling. On top of that, click-bait websites feel like they have to jump on a ship of Lasseter that is blatant false reporting connecting them to the writing of TS4. Online media is ruining the truth and it's dangerous. I really wonder where we will be in 20 or 30 years. I hope everything works out at Pixar and they get through this, change some policies, etc. Lasseter needs to go into rehab for these 6-months, and in the meantime, Pixar changes policies. Once Lasseter is hopefully back (pending on if he did anything really bad), then they will hopefully move forward with Lasseter a sober man, and Pete Doctor or Brad Bird will then take the helm in a few years.

brb1006

Not a whole lot to add here beyond a few notes you may find interesting:

John was basically sent out of the country to avoid media attention when Disney realised that Zenia's bullying wouldn't keep this buried.

The vast majority of shock about this sordid tale isn't coming from people who know him or in animation cicrles.

I personally know for a fact that Zenia has spent the last 36 hours harassing a big name reporter who is working on a story that is more detailed about what happened. She personally received at least a dozen calls of a threatening nature from Zenia herself.

Opinion here now ... Disney is so hoping some other scandal breaks by next week to take attention away from this because this story and what it may lead to could ... could ... wind up ending Bob Iger's tenure with the company sooner than expected. As to people who bring up his political ambitions, I am not at all sure that he still truly harbours them.
The re-opening of Hall Of Presidents comes to mind.

brb1006

They could double down with a release of Song of the South on DVD.
Can Disney just finally make a disclaimer like how Warner Brothers did? If that day finally comes.
U8UZyVI.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Can Disney just finally make a disclaimer like how Warner Brothers did? If that day finally comes.
U8UZyVI.jpg
When society needs "trigger warnings" for cartoons... :rolleyes:

But, Disney won't do that...they'll just vault it (like they have already with many of the WWII cartoon shorts and Song of the South).

Here's the issue with critical theory (which is behind all of this).

Nothing is good. Everything is wrong. Everything has some basis in historical oppression of others, because that is how systems of power work (which is a play off Marxist theory).

In order for one group to excel, another group must be oppressed.

The goal of critical theory is to look at modern social structure, and reflections of it such as arts and media, and see within it the reflections of said systems.

You, literally, learn how to criticize everything. To find fault in everything. You become a professional killjoy.

This is why this philosophy, eventually, begins to eat their own. You've seen it in the LGBT community (where now being a cisgendered white male is considered a privileged group within the stack, and therefore should sit back and shut up about their issues to allow others, who are marginalized by them, to speak). You've seen it within third-wave feminism (led by Bell Hooks and other great "thinkers").

It is an attractive philosophy for mental midgets, because with it, you can never be "wrong", as long as you proport to be standing up for the "marginalized" and "oppressed". Therefore, you can insert yourself into situations and make yourself heard, and thereby gain "power" over the issue at hand. When challenged, your fallback immediately becomes a virtuous morality stance, which you can use to discard all other stances irrespective of context, introspection, or, frankly, reality.

It's disgusting. It's pointless. And, what little fruits it gains are likely to be poisonous to creativity and society as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom