News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, but also no one thinks Shatner is a fun friendly guy who makes amazing family movies and has created some of the greatest animated films of all time. The feel betrayed by the image projected about Lasseter and this news is only 24 hours old. It will take time for people to adjust.
How DARE you insult sir Laurence Olivier...err, I mean..."William shatner"

He's a real 'Merican...even if he's Canadian...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and Randy Newman when I watch Toy Story. Never thought of Lassaster. I guess we will wait and see. Interesting timing to come out with this leading into a long holiday weekend.

Yeah...I'm mostly with this.

I do think about lasseter when I think of toy story, a bugs life (underrated), and cars...

But I won't watch them and be disgusted by what this creep was doing in an animation building in Southern California...

I'll still think that my kids could enjoy them with the blessing of ignorance at the time to that.

Ignorance is such a commodity that should be protected...never choose to take it away if you can.

But that's just it...Pixar as a collective has done some amazing things...

Lasseter didn't do the heavy lifting on Up, wall-e or finding nemo...

I won't let him be the anchor on an otherwise good ship.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Would you have mature detachment when served a meal prepared by a man who molested your daughter?

Why should the work of a molester not be tainted? Especially, precisely, a creative product. If you have a great painting in your living room, and years later you find out the painter in between painting it molested your 15 year old, would you leave it hanging?
There are several medical treatments you should explicitly refuse and make note of in any advanced directives. Cold therapy is one that comes to mind.

Nubs70

And that knee-jerk reaction to just remove anything we find offensive is ridiculous. While removing his name and likeness from everything may make some short-sighted segment of the population and SJWs feel better, it doesn't address the issue...it hides it, and when we don't acknowledge past mistakes is when we guarantee that we'll make them again.
This is exactly how corporate pr responds to crisises

Remove, Erase, Rewind.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Your statement came off as very snarky and as if you were making fun and rolling your eyes.

And that knee-jerk reaction to just remove anything we find offensive is ridiculous. While removing his name and likeness from everything may make some short-sighted segment of the population and SJWs feel better, it doesn't address the issue...it hides it, and when we don't acknowledge past mistakes is when we guarantee that we'll make them again.

A much wiser move would be to acknowledge deficiencies in having protocols in place and to remedy the issue immediately.

Well said and its the way things like this SHOULD be done but unfortunately corporate America is more vain and shallow than a teenaged member of the 'cool kids' group and image counts far more than substance.

Hence the Orwellian making someone an 'unperson' if they have embarrassed the company. Of particular note which should be chilling is this behavior was commonly seen in Soviet era Russia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think this is an underreported part of the story involving all of these abusers. We talk about oh how will Disney make up for the void of JL being out or I'll miss the contributions of so and so. All of these years and decades they have been suppressing in one way or another the creative work of others. Hopefully one of the positives that comes out of this is the future workplace will be welcoming to all people and so their creativeness and imagination can finally be demonstrated on and off screen.

The likely result unfortunately is that creatives will be trusted even less than they are now. We are witnessing the destruction of an industry. Yes I call Hollywood 'Hollyweird' but in ths case I fear we will toss the baby out with the bathwater in the corporate attempt to appear virtuous.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doesn't negate the fact that they need one. And not just at Disney.

A major retooling of corporate america is long overdue. Yet one of the services Trump is providing is a view of the ugly underbelly of corporate America and sunlight is still the best disinfectant. I'm NOT speaking as a Trump supporter here.

The boorish lout we have as POTUS has unintentionally turned a spotlight on how abusive those in positions of corporate and government power have become and its hard to say thats not a good thing overall.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A major retooling of corporate america is long overdue..

As is politics which you have shoehorned into this wandering discussion of the abuse of power in the workplace and corporate responses to its disclosure. Whom is president doesn't factor into how a left leaning company responds to malfeasance. It's a legal matter, a governance matter to determine how long and if the pattern existed prior to his or her current position, a shareholder matter as it impacts the bottom line as well as perception/share price, and legal matter as a company employee did something to another employee placed in a subordinate position to the offender.

ohioguy

A major retooling of corporate america is long overdue. Yet one of the services Trump is providing is a view of the ugly underbelly of corporate America and sunlight is still the best disinfectant. I'm NOT speaking as a Trump supporter here.

The boorish lout we have as POTUS has unintentionally turned a spotlight on how abusive those in positions of corporate and government power have become and its hard to say thats not a good thing overall.

If there's one good thing to come out of the Trump years, with an admitted harasser in the Oval Office, it will be the long overdue exposure of these abuses of power in government, entertainment, and the media. The media covering for their own for so many years -- Charlie Rose, Mark Halperin, Glenn Thrush -- really takes the cake.

bclane

Why else not just fire him and void his contracts if the allegations are true. That would be normal and accepted corporate behavior.
I don’t have an answer for you except to say that there are probably legal and other issues that they have to consider that we don’t yet understand. I’m sure this creates a very complex problem for them. We may never see a clear picture of how they are handling this and why, but in the end I think the result will be that he is done at Disney, regardless of how the news is spun to the public.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As is politics which you have shoehorned into this wandering discussion of the abuse of power in the workplace and corporate responses to its disclosure. Whom is president doesn't factor into how a left leaning company responds to malfeasance. It's a legal matter, a governance matter to determine how long and if the pattern existed prior to his or her current position, a shareholder matter as it impacts the bottom line as well as perception/share price, and legal matter as a company employee did something to another employee placed in a subordinate position to the offender.

You are correct on all counts here, but something triggered the avalanche, with some elements of the press realizing that they could no longer live with the double standard and deciding to DO something about it.

Call it the law of unintended consequences where finally some members of the press rediscovered that the truth matters more than what political party one belongs to.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don’t have an answer for you except to say that there are probably legal and other issues that they have to consider that we don’t yet understand. I’m sure this creates a very complex problem for them. We may never see a clear picture of how they are handling this and why, but in the end I think the result will be that he is done at Disney, regardless of how the news is spun to the public.

Agree

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That may very well be a point of contention during negotiations on the agreement the company reaches with John.

In these cases 'negotiations' are you are going to take what we give you and like it or we file charges.

Remember Iger is a vain, petty thin skinned individual with presidential ambitions and he's hated Lasseter from the get go. Now Lasseter is potentially threatening his presidential ambitions.

This is a fight to the death and its gonna be ugly and potentially make the Ovitz/Katzenburg battles look like a high school debate club meeting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom