News Lasseter taking leave of absence

zengoth

Not excusing JL's behavior - but is there proof Pixar has in place some sort of Hollywood-type NDA that basically makes employees sign away any of their rights to be treated like a human being and not be able to tell anyone if they aren't? I realize that these legal agreements are legion in the entertainment industry (and beyond), but are these jobs so golden that people allow themselves to be boxed into a corner when it comes to defending themselves?

If I go to a doctor, I shouldn't have to sign anything that says: "If our treatment makes you feel worse, you can't sue us and you can't tell anyone" or if I visit the Magic Kingdom, it'd be ludicrous to sign anything that says "If the lines are too long and strollers run over your feet, so sorry, you can't get your money back and you can't complain to a soul, especially on social media."

Not blaming any victim here, but signing away personal rights in order to "protect the brand you're working for" is the first thing that needs to go, imo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unfortunate news, but this is nowhere near as bad as Harvey Weinstein or others. Ludicrous to be making comparisons. I don't want to state my opinion as fact, but John Lasseter shouldn't be fired if he truly apologizes and goes to rehab for his drinking and vows to stop his odd touching of legs etc. I think a change in Pixar's policies is obviously due, but the whole concept of people skipping, for instance, TSMM is insane. Lasseter is a genius, he's a troubled guy, but he is nothing short of that. If, and I mean IF, worse accusations are to come then he should probably resign or be fired, but as it stands right now, he just needs help. He is by no means the victim though, in fact, far from it. But again, as it stands, and from what I know, I don't think it would be fair to completely disgrace the guy. What he did was wrong, but it really does not warrant a guy that has also done tremendous good to be sent to hell like some people are wanting. Again, that could all change with a worse story, but I hope you get what I mean.

People are so quick to want to destroy people's lives. We need to stop judging every damn thing. This guy has been an alcoholic and instead of hating the guy we should try to make better of this. He needs help. Please don't take this post out of context, and with a rational mind, you should get what I mean. Let's wait for the story to develop and if it eventually warrants him being fired then let that happen. In the meantime, let's not act like everyone is so innocent. People do S%#$ty things. It's the sad truth, but I really don't feel morally right to not give this guy any grace (based on the current information we have).

This began with Saul Alinsky's 'Rules For Radicals' as interpreted by one of the major US political parties one of the rules is to hold people to their own standards. This was useful for going after people in the other party who preached about family but had an affair or a mistress.

Whats happened is the scope of that was allowed to creep and you had the perpetual offense class expand the scope of 'sexual harassment' to kindergartners asking a for a date. Meanwhile the double standards crowd covered up monsters like Weinstein and Franken because they were on 'our side'.

As usually happens someone who was complicit in the coverup developed a conscience and some reporters remembered that their real alligence was to the truth and not fealty to a political party.

But the end result here is going to be toxic because the SJW's were not reined in earlier after things like the Duke Lacrosse team, The Rolling Stone 'rape culture' series etc. and thats unfortunate because most of us know victims of REAL abuse and stuff like that poisons the well.

We are going to see a full blown Salem Style witch hunt because of this along with NAZI Style book burnings. In my town the SJW crowd is already pressuring the library committee to remove ALL PIXAR films with Lasseters name in the credits from circulation.

@WDW1974 to your point about JL's name should not be removed from credits. In this environment it will be a commercial necessity (yet wrong on many levels)

If my small town library is feeling pressure. Just imagine what the climate will be like in more 'progressive' areas.

AEfx

But the end result here is going to be toxic because the SJW's were not reined in earlier after things like the Duke Lacrosse team, The Rolling Stone 'rape culture' series etc. and thats unfortunate because most of us know victims of REAL abuse and stuff like that poisons the well.

We are going to see a full blown Salem Style witch hunt because of this along with NAZI Style book burnings. In my town the SJW crowd is already pressuring the library committee to remove ALL PIXAR films with Lasseters name in the credits from circulation.

@WDW1974 to your point about JL's name should not be removed from credits. In this environment it will be a commercial necessity (yet wrong on many levels)

If my small town library is feeling pressure. Just imagine what the climate will be like in more 'progressive' areas.

And just think of how much easier that will be now that we are moving away from physical media and into digital-only.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And just think of how much easier that will be now that we are moving away from physical media and into digital-only.

Too easy actually,

A side note because of the ease of manipulation of digital images most professional digital cameras have an 'authenticated' mode which uses GPS position as the 'salt' for a MD5 hash of the image. Changing a single pixel invalidates the image.

I use this mode frequently for documenting my reports.

The camera vendors provide 'signed' tools to check the images. Useful so you can prove image was altered.

AEfx

Too easy actually,

Seriously, just thinking about it gives me the creeps. If we keep going this route? Credits are nothing. Wait until so-and-so voice actor in classic animated movie gets accused of doing something, they could be erased and replaced with a new voice overnight.

A side note because of the ease of manipulation of digital images most professional digital cameras have an 'authenticated' mode which uses GPS position as the 'salt' for a MD5 hash of the image. Changing a single pixel invalidates the image.

I use this mode frequently for documenting my reports.

The camera vendors provide 'signed' tools to check the images. Useful so you can prove image was altered.

Not even professional digital cameras, basically every digital camera, period. That's why I won't post anything to the internet that hasn't been properly scrubbed of meta-data. Every day people are putting out images that have their personal information attached and they don't even have a clue.

"Here is a cute picture of my kid getting out of the car on his first day of school, world!"

(and the GPS location of his school, the type/brand/model/version of my phone, possibly my name and other information, etc...)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seriously, just thinking about it gives me the creeps. If we keep going this route? Credits are nothing. Wait until so-and-so voice actor in classic animated movie gets accused of doing something, they could be erased and replaced with a new voice overnight.

Not even professional digital cameras, basically every digital camera, period. That's why I won't post anything to the internet that hasn't been properly scrubbed of meta-data. Every day people are putting out images that have their personal information attached and they don't even have a clue.

"Here is a cute picture of my kid getting out of the car on his first day of school, world!"

(and the GPS location of his school, the type/brand/model/version of my phone, possibly my name and other information, etc...)

You are talking about the EXIF metadata thats encoded on digital images. By the way that can be faked as well.

I was talking about a professional feature which takes all the data image and EXIF and authenticates it so the image is provably correct in all aspects time/location/image integrity. Ie no editing has been performed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This began with Saul Alinsky's 'Rules For Radicals' as interpreted by one of the major US political parties one of the rules is to hold people to their own standards. This was useful for going after people in the other party who preached about family but had an affair or a mistress.

Congratulations! It's not easy to bring up Saul Alinsky three times in a forum based on Disney fandom, but you did it!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And dank memes (in the form of graffiti).
Et tu, Pepe?

1494722736503.png

Pixieish

Personally, I would at least take Toy Story 4 out of production. Not because it was the one most closely tied to John Lasseter, but because it's easily the most unnecessary. And that's saying something when one of the others is Frozen 2.
Noooooooo...my boys have been waiting for Toy Story 4 basically since they saw the last one. Just because John screwed up in huge ways, doesn't make the films less valuable. (And trust me...I can't see the toys around my house without thinking of him right now.) Nevermind how much the kids love the characters, there are important lessons in those films.

AEfx

Personally, I would at least take Toy Story 4 out of production. Not because it was the one most closely tied to John Lasseter, but because it's easily the most unnecessary. And that's saying something when one of the others is Frozen 2.

They don't need to. Again, we come to no one in the general public really has a clue who he is. I'll be honest - I don't follow executives - even as someone who is decently knowledgeable about the parks and their history, I knew he had something big to do with Pixar, but it's only a name big fans would recognize.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom