News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If there's one good thing to come out of the Trump years, with an admitted harasser in the Oval Office, it will be the long overdue exposure of these abuses of power in government, entertainment, and the media. The media covering for their own for so many years -- Charlie Rose, Mark Halperin, Glenn Thrush -- really takes the cake.

I feel like a big reason harassment is so prevelant in both the business world and our current government...is nepotism.

There's really no incentive for the power brokers to change anything when they've been the power brokers for 8 generations and loved life.

How does anything progress without fresh blood at the controls now and then?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Kubrick may not have been a $exual predator, but what he did to Shelly Duvall during the filming of The Shining could be considered psychological abuse.
Maybe if she wasn't being paid to be an actor... they were making a movie, none of the "horror" was real, and she could have walked away at any time.

the.dreamfinder

In these cases 'negotiations' are you are going to take what we give you and like it or we file charges.

Remember Iger is a vain, petty thin skinned individual with presidential ambitions and he's hated Lasseter from the get go. Now Lasseter is potentially threatening his presidential ambitions.

This is a fight to the death and its gonna be ugly and potentially make the Ovitz/Katzenburg battles look like a high school debate club meeting.
Spirit did say more media outlets are working on stories about Disney so Lasseter is only the opening salvo.

This is going to be total war.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure that JL's "six month leave" was a way that Disney could get him out of the door immediately with a vague public apology and confession. I would bet dollars to donuts that Disney lawyers are busy right now working up a severance-pay-if-you-don't-challenge-our-firing-of-you contract.

It is always less expensive and less of a hit PR-wise to pay people to go away with the promise they won't sue you over it regardless of how much they deserve to be fired or how likely the corporation would win any lawsuit. So much cheaper and easier to pay-to-go-away. JL will be paid to go away.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm sure that JL's "six month leave" was a way that Disney could get him out of the door immediately with a vague public apology and confession. I would bet dollars to donuts that Disney lawyers are busy right now working up a severance-pay-if-you-don't-challenge-our-firing-of-you contract.

It is always less expensive and less of a hit PR-wise to pay people to go away with the promise they won't sue you over it regardless of how much they deserve to be fired or how likely the corporation would win any lawsuit. So much cheaper and easier to pay-to-go-away. JL will be paid to go away.

His contract most likely already contains clauses governing severance for cause and what any payments might be. But this is a little different than poor performance or incompetence. This is potential violation of federal law. While Disney will want to avoid additional negative press (and liability of Iger, other execs and BoD), I would expect them to play hardball, if nothing more than to show the public and press they are tough on sexual harassment in the workplace.

2351metalcloud

I would hope both Legal and PR would convince Disney of their error in doing so. Look what happened to Weinstein's company. It's dead. Now, I realize Disney is huge compared to Weinstein. But for a company that has a history - and prides itself on that history - of family friendly entertainment to rehire Lasseter could be corporate suicide.
In a short documentary about John Lasseter that was made at least more than 10 years ago, Lasseter had a small theater room in his home that he said had technology that was somehow able to connect to Pixar and watched a video from a movie that was under development at the time of the documentary filming. He also looked at 'shots' of video from a movie that was under development on a tablet while riding in a car to approve the shots and/or give notes about the shots to people. He said in the documentary I think that the theater was for the times when he was sick and couldn't go to Pixar.

So, he seems to have helped with the development of a movie from home to some degree without actually having to go to Pixar to be around anyone. Theoretically I would imagine that he could still help to some degree with some things at Pixar and maybe Disney as well for the development of movies without actually traveling to any locations to be with anyone. People involved might want for him to still have that theater room I guess or else build another one or maybe just watch videos on a computer monitor, but he would have some experience doing something like that in the past if some of what is said in the documentary is to be believed.

I don't know if Pixar and/or Disney in the future would want him to try to do things that are related to either or both groups using that method however.

the.dreamfinder

In a short documentary about John Lasseter that was made at least more than 10 years ago, Lasseter had a small theater room in his home that he said had technology that was somehow able to connect to Pixar and watched a video from a movie that was under development at the time of the documentary filming. He also looked at 'shots' of video from a movie that was under development on a tablet while riding in a car to approve the shots and/or give notes about the shots to people. He said in the documentary I think that the theater was for the times when he was sick and couldn't go to Pixar.

So, he seems to have helped with the development of a movie from home to some degree without actually having to go to Pixar to be around anyone. Theoretically I would imagine that he could still help to some degree with some things at Pixar and maybe Disney as well for the development of movies without actually traveling to any locations to be with anyone. People involved might want for him to still have that theater room I guess or else build another one or maybe just watch videos on a computer monitor, but he would have some experience doing something like that in the past if some of what is said in the documentary is to be believed.

I don't know if Pixar and/or Disney in the future would want him to try to do things that are related to either or both groups using that method however.
This film?

Co-starring lots of hugs.

the.dreamfinder

New story from the LA Times on replacing John.
As John Lasseter takes a leave, Disney and Pixar face an uncertain road ahead
Ryan Faughnder and David Ng
John Lasseter’s decision to leave Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios for six months following complaints of inappropriate interactions with employees has stunned the animation community and raised questions about the fallout for Disney’s signature animation business.

The computer animation visionary on Tuesday apologized to staff for unwanted hugs and any gestures that employees “felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form,” adding that he looks forward “to working together again in the new year.”

Industry analysts and experts in the animation community said Lasseter’s absence could be a significant blow to the studio if his departure becomes permanent because the executive has been such a key figure in its success. Lasseter is the chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Animation is a big box-office driver for Disney. Since Disney acquired Emeryville, Calif.-based Pixar in 2006, Pixar films have collected nearly $8 billion at the worldwide box office, according to ComScore. Disney Animation Studios movies, under Lasseter, have grossed $5.4 billion. “Frozen,” “Zootopia” and Pixar’s “Finding Dory” each took in more than $1 billion in global receipts.

“This is the kind of thing that can really damage a company's culture,” said Doug Creutz, a media analyst at Cowen & Co. “The question is, does this affect their future output, and how does Pixar handle this permanently?”

The revelations about Lasseter came as a shock to many within the small, tight-knit animation community.

“The reaction was, ‘Wow.' Just, ‘Wow,’” said Dan Sarto, publisher of Animation World Network, an online animation resource. “It was really like being smacked in the face.”

Within Disney, Lasseter's departure took many employees by surprise, including some members of Pixar's so-called Braintrust — the creative executives who oversee the company's feature-film productions, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who was not authorized to comment.

Disney did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday. A Disney spokesman on Tuesday said the company appreciates Lasseter’s “candor and sincere apology and fully” supports his sabbatical.

It remains to be seen who will step in to replace Lasseter, even temporarily. Lasseter became intimately involved with Disney’s projects as soon as he arrived at the company in 2006 after the Burbank entertainment giant bought Pixar for $7.4 billion.

“Those founder-type creative individuals are very hard to replace,” said Robin Diedrich, an analyst at Edward Jones. “I would say his contribution has been pretty instrumental in creating a creative environment, which is what you need at a studio or content company.”

While Lasseter’s shoes would be hard to fill, animation analysts say there is a strong roster of respected internal candidates who could step into the job. They credit Lasseter and Ed Catmull, who is president of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, for fostering a deep bullpen of talented filmmakers who could succeed Lasseter, who is 60.

Among possible contenders to fill Lasseter's seat are Pete Docter (“Inside Out”), Andrew Stanton (“Wall-E”) and Brad Bird (“The Incredibles”) — all of whom have directed successful Pixar movies. The company could choose to appoint a woman to take over for Lasseter. One name mentioned in animation circles is Darla K. Anderson, a Pixar veteran who produced "Coco."

"I think they're going to be OK because, unlike some other studios where you have a strong leader, John and Ed worked on cultivating a good team," said Thomas Sito, a professor of animation at USC and a prominent animation veteran who has worked at Disney and DreamWorks. "There's a lot of good people on the bench."

That could explain why Lasseter’s move barely registered with investors. Walt Disney Co. stock closed Wednesday at $102.74 a share, down 26 cents, or less than 1%.

The short-term effect on the company is expected to be minimal, analysts said. The studio released “Coco” on Wednesday. The film is expected to gross roughly $60 million through Sunday, a decent result that experts doubt will be affected by the Lasseter controversy.

In other positive signs, Pixar on Saturday released the teaser tailer for “The Incredibles 2,” which drew 113 million views to make it the biggest animated movie trailer launch ever. The next Walt Disney Animation Studios movie is a sequel to “Wreck-It Ralph,” set for November 2018, followed a year later by “Frozen 2.”

“If any creative studio can weather this type of unfortunate situation,” said Sarto, “it's a place like Pixar.”

Times Staff Writer Daniel Miller contributed to this report.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Should a person exuding niceties and warmth in the workplace (even in a laid-back work environment) where the individual acts as both CEO and wacky father figure to employees be penalized if they are unaware that their quirky identity or the character persona created gives off a creepy-vibe?

Sir_Cliff

Should a person exuding niceties and warmth in the workplace (even in a laid-back work environment) where the individual acts as both CEO and wacky father figure to employees be penalized if they are unaware that their quirky identity or the character persona created gives off a creepy-vibe?
That's not what people are saying was happening with JL.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

If only it were that.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's kind of hard when he's in the bonus features of countless DVDs that millions of families own.

Actually for Blu-Ray its easy on the next movie release revoke the Old Pixar playback keys cuz 'piracy' and replace with new playback keys. Reissue BluRay disk sans Lasseter plus the bonus feature of new sales of old titles.

Figments Friend

I'm totally okay with ol' John going away.
After the embarrassing drunken display onstage at this past years D23 Expo, it's clear he needs a 'time out'.

Hoping he gets some professional help, as he obviously has some personal issues that have not been resolved for several years.
He needs some restructuring in his life, and I wish him the best.
This won't be a easy road.

His time is over, and it's about time.

-

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

JL is not just some interchangeable studio executive he built PIXAR after the Disney deal he had enough money to lie on the beach setting fires to stacks of bills for the rest of his life.

The fact that he went out on a sabbatical indicates that he has a 'pearl harbor file' loaded with explosive stuff about Disneys executive team,

Plus add the fact that Lasseter and Iger HATE each other with a passion, Yes Disney wants a 'John who?' to occur but I expect that we will see a replay of the 'Ovitz / Katzenberg' fights and it will get really ugly, Because if John cant have his spot at Pixar back well JL will make sure Iger's 'Potomac Fever' never comes to fruition.

Expect a nasty scorched earth campaign on both sides.

I imagine the pearl harbor file contains the full details of a certain imagineers trysts which Disney covered up along with other salacious and damaging goodies.

HauntedMansionFLA

JL is not just some interchangeable studio executive he built PIXAR after the Disney deal he had enough money to lie on the beach setting fires to stacks of bills for the rest of his life.

The fact that he went out on a sabbatical indicates that he has a 'pearl harbor file' loaded with explosive stuff about Disneys executive team,

Plus add the fact that Lasseter and Iger HATE each other with a passion, Yes Disney wants a 'John who?' to occur but I expect that we will see a replay of the 'Ovitz / Katzenberg' fights and it will get really ugly, Because if John cant have his spot at Pixar back well JL will make sure Iger's 'Potomac Fever' never comes to fruition.

Expect a nasty scorched earth campaign on both sides.

I imagine the pearl harbor file contains the full details of a certain imagineers trysts which Disney covered up along with other salacious and damaging goodies.
Sounds like a good movie!! I wonder how long it will that till the gloves come off???

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I feel like a big reason harassment is so prevelant in both the business world and our current government...is nepotism.

There's really no incentive for the power brokers to change anything when they've been the power brokers for 8 generations and loved life.

How does anything progress without fresh blood at the controls now and then?

The problem is the last couple of generations of power brokers got greedy and wanted the whole pie for themselves (and largely got it). Previous generations understood that one must at least maintain the appearance of acting as a public servant and govern accordingly. Not so the past couple of generations who see themselves as rulers and everyone not at their level is a serf.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom