News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Pixieish

To add to my comment #340, above...

He's got MAJOR changes to make. The alcohol alone will need a major change to his day-to-day life for overcoming it and making that "stick". Very often, it takes creating an entire new life to overcome alcoholism/addiction away from everyone they previously knew and associated with. This is a big part of why so many relapse - they aren't willing to do that. Add to this the need to change such an ingrained behavior as is being revealed now, and the man has a hell of a lot of soul-searching and working on himself to do. Do I think he'll be successful? Unfortunately, I don't...because statistics say he won't. IF...and this is a BIG if...he does the work and wishes to re-prove himself, I would think that would warrant a second chance.

However, IMO he should seek employment elsewhere - I don't think it would be fair to those he mistreated to allow him back, even if he redeems himself.

WDW1974

No room for joking here as this is very, very sad news. And it has been floating out there for a very long time. Disney, meaning Bob Iger, Zenia Mucha and some truly scary lawyers, have done their best to keep it from getting out into the media. But I knew it was coming. I knew not because anyone said "it will be in a story on such and such a day" but I knew when Disney played hard ball with the LA Times over its very fair and balanced series on the way the company dealt with the city of Anaheim it was done as a message.

And let's talk some very basic truths here:

This story has been in the works for some time. There are multiple other stories with various outlets in the works regarding Disney and its employees and how some have acted in truly vile ways. Bob and Zenia know this. But the genie is out of his lamp and he isn't going to be hidden in the Cave of Wonders for another few eons, I means decades.

It took a long, long time, but the media finally understands how pervasive a problem the industry has with indiscretions of a $exual nature and we're just at the 'Who's Next?' phase.

In light of allegations of child molestation and rape against ex-Imagineer Gary Goddard, pals with notorious boy lovers Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey, I really thought one of the other stories would hit prior to this.

Before my usual fan club accuses me of taking perverse joy in this, let me set that record straight. I take none. If it were a worthless suit like Iger maybe I would, but I have spent time one on one with John. I liked him. I had great respect for him. I once wrote on this very forum that he was the closest thing to Walt at TWDC today. Sure, he had faults. But much like when mindless fanbois blame Joe Rohde and his trips for the absurd cost of Pandora, John was/is an amazingly talented man who actually cares about quality and what people think of his company's creations.

I posted this before I was ready as I am working on an unfamiliar keyboard, so going to continue this in my next post.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

She said her manager kept her out of meetings where Lasseter would be present, telling her it would be best for her not to attend the intimate weekly reviews because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls.”
----------
She said he would walk up to women in the office and kiss them on the lips.

“I found it shocking,” she said. “That’s not a normal way of greeting a colleague.”

She said she also heard from co-workers who told her that they had to hide from Lasseter at wrap parties. She said she never reported these issues because the systems were not in place to address the problem.

So no formal process for employees to report incidents of harassment? That's not good...for either Pixar or Disney.

brb1006

No room for joking here as this is very, very sad news. And it has been floating out there for a very long time. Disney, meaning Bob Iger, Zenia Mucha and some truly scary lawyers, have done their best to keep it from getting out into the media. But I knew it was coming. I knew not because anyone said "it will be in a story on such and such a day" but I knew when Disney played hard ball with the LA Times over its very fair and balanced series on the way the company dealt with the city of Anaheim it was done as a message.

This story has been in the works for some time. There are multiple other stories with various outlets in the works regarding Disney and its employees and how some have acted in truly vile ways. Bob and Zenia know this. But the genie is out of his lamp and he isn't going to be hidden in the Cave of Wonders for another few eons, I means decades.

It took a long, long time, but the media finally understands how pervasive a problem the industry has with indiscretions of a $exual nature and we're just at the 'Who's Next?' phase.

In light of allegations of child molestation and rape against ex-Imagineer Gary Goddard, pals with notorious boy lovers Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey, I really thought one of the other stories would hit prior to this.

Before my usual fan club accuses me of taking perverse joy in this, let me set that record straight. I take none. If it were a worthless suit like Iger maybe I would, but I have spent time one on one with John. I liked him. I had great respect for him. I once wrote on this very forum that he was the closest thing to Walt at TWDC today. Sure, he had faults. But much like when mindless fanbois blame Joe Rohde and his trips for the absurd cost of Pandora, John was/is an amazingly talented man who actually cares about quality and what people think of his company's creations.

I posted this before I was ready as I am working on an unfamiliar keyboard, so going to continue this in my next post.
It's going to be a sad day when I hear news that John Lasseter has been fired from not only Pixar but as head of Walt Disney Animation.

bclane

I believe in forgiveness and redemption. After my daughter was sexually assaulted (when she was 5 and then again by the same guy when she was 6...which is when we found out about it) all I had for the guy was hatred and a desire to severely hurt him. He refused to admit what he did at first and his family directed all kinds of accusations against us and basically made our lives extremely difficult for an extended period. They actually turned so called friends of ours, people in our own church, against us. But at some point, the guy publicly confessed everything and became very remorseful for his actions. It wasn’t until then that any of us were able to move past raw pain and anger and allow ourselves to forgive him (which was actually healing for all of us to do). My daughter still doesn’t want to see or hear from him ever again, but she has forgiven him and is on the long journey to getting her life back together. She is now 16 and still cries sometimes about it, but she no longer hates the guy.

Imo, someone like JL should be able to continue life and be forgiven at some point IF he is truly repentant and goes through whatever steps he has to go through (willingly), to make things right (to the extent that they can be made right) but that doesn’t mean the people he hurt should ever have to face him again and that doesn’t mean he should be given everything back that he has now lost. In my opinion, he hasn’t really confessed anything yet and thus is not truly sorry for what he has done, and therefore can go twist in the wind as far as i’m concerned. It will be a long road for him and even longer one for those he hurt.

LAKid53

Premium Member

That's not good to hear. Other than Disney putting pressure on the LA Times and other media to squash the story, whay have they done internally to mitigate this behavior? Have victims been provided counseling? Have the perpetrators been moved to positions where they will have little contacts with those they harassed? I'm concerned that all Disney has done is provided monetary compensation and asked people to sign NDAs without really addressing the problem. And putting systems in place not just to report, but try to prevent.

Pixieish

I believe in forgiveness and redemption. After my daughter was sexually assaulted (when she was 5 and then again by the same guy when she was 6...which is when we found out about it) all I had for the guy was hatred and a desire to severely hurt him. He refused to admit what he did at first and his family directed all kinds of accusations against us and basically made our lives extremely difficult for an extended period. They actually turned so called friends of ours, people in our own church, against us. But at some point, the guy publicly confessed everything and became very remorseful for his actions. It wasn’t until then that any of us were able to move past raw pain and anger and allow ourselves to forgive him (which was actually healing for all of us to do). My daughter still doesn’t want to see or hear from him ever again, but she has forgiven him and is on the long journey to getting her life back together. She is now 16 and still cries sometimes about it, but she no longer hates the guy.

Imo, someone like JL should be able to continue life and be forgiven at some point IF he is truly repentant and goes through whatever steps he has to go through (willingly), to make things right (to the extent that they can be made right) but that doesn’t mean the people he hurt should ever have to face him again and that doesn’t mean he should be given everything back that he has now lost. In my opinion, he hasn’t really confessed anything yet and thus is not truly sorry for what he has done, and therefore can go twist in the wind as far as i’m concerned. It will be a long road for him and even longer one for those he hurt.

Extremely well said, and I'm so sorry for your daughter that she had to go through that horror. I'm glad she's past the hatred - that doesn't do her any good.

bclane

Extremely well said, and I'm so sorry for your daughter that she had to go through that horror. I'm glad she's past the hatred - that doesn't do her any good.
Same here. Honestly, I think that forgiveness is more for the victim than the perp. We tend to not be able to heal ourselves until we forgive those who have hurt us. But that is obviously waayyyyyy easier said than done.

WDW1974

No matter what you may think, this was not about a man giving unwanted hugs (we've likely all received those in the past and not felt that we were violated or assaulted). This is all about a man with a major and known alcohol problem combined with ego and impulse control issues. This is a problem that sadly would have continued to stay hidden under the rug, with a ridiculous number of people knowing about it, had Kim Masters and THR not told Zenia to go blank herself, they were running the story.

Bob Iger knew about John's issues for many, many years. Possibly since soon after he came to Disney in the 1995 merger with Cap Cities/ABC. John isn't coming back to Disney and Pixar. You probably know that. Right now, security wouldn't let him in any company facility unless he was there to meet with lawyers and Bob.

Hugs, even unwanted ones, don't get you that, even at image crazy Disney in 2017. I know fans today who are taking this almost like a death in the family because John always felt like one of us, from his down to earth nature to the crazy shirts he wore. He was not an empty Goldman Sachs approved suit like Bob Iger. Or someone who just looked like the very definition of scum, like Harvey Weinstein (how many payouts did Disney make on his behalf with either Michael or Bob running the show?)

I don't know what the answer is. But the culture has to change and that's what's starting to happen.

Of course, one can ask why should this behavior be tolerated by the resident of the White House or a wannabe Senator from Alabama if it is so repugnant in Hollywood? At least there, sometimes, the accusers have been willing participants (see some of the posts on this forum regarding creatives taking liberties with underage boys) who got careers out of allowing themselves to be used and abused, what's the excuse in Washington? Or Wall Street? Or pretty much any and every major corporation out there?

This issue is a societal one. If not, the first or second time John pulled this, he would have been suspended if not fired immediately. But so long as one has the power or the support of those who do, and I can give you tens if not hundreds of billions of reasons why Disney largely ignored John's issues, it is ignored.

John Lasseter did save Walt Disney Feature Animation and is responsible for characters that are beloved the world over. Those things are all still true, but if you feel a little icky today and wonder if supporting Coco, which by all accounts is a beautiful high quality motion picture, makes you a tacit supporter of this behavior, you're not alone.

I wonder that too.

I wonder how the big, loveable, man child that made toys and cars and monsters come to life and make me smile, laugh and cry, could also be such a power hungry deviant. The man who was so charming to me in brief personal interactions could be so grotesque with women.

I just don't know that there's an answer. I do know know the behavior has to stop.

And due to some brave folks in the media, Disney isn't controlling the narrative here and all their social media influencers don't mean a damn thing.

Again, this is the start. Not the end. And before you decide to idolize someone, you should understand that you never get the full picture on someone unless you know them very well personally.

But there are stories being worked on right now and they are not about John. I have heard some wonder if John was sacrificed to make those stories go away or lessen their impact and all I can say is I don't know.

It isn't a happy day, but would it be better if things went on like it was any other day? Of course not.

WDW1974

The prodigal son makes his triumphant return to...correct a one letter typo?

#iexpectedmore
No, not really. But thanks for having smart post No. 1.

I know this topic too well and too many people have asked me for opinions privately and since my Turkey is basting and the stuffing is ready and I am not preparing yams or pumpkin pie because I hate them, I thought I'd pop in for a spell.

JoeCamel

It's going to be a sad day when I hear news that John Lasseter has been fired from not only Pixar but as head of Walt Disney Animation.
He won't be fired. Either he rides into the sunset at the end of 6 months or he will "retire" to seek personal growth and spend more time with friends and family. No need for a firing here - he is out. (In more ways than one)

WDW1974

If you are 60 years old living in the world all this time and don't know it's not okay to kiss for employees on the mouth, slide your hand up their thigh and under their skirt. If your female employees have to hide from you at parties, if managers tell their young female employees not to come to a meeting because of your behavior. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be fixed. As a person living in the world you should know this is not okay, someone shouldn't have to tell you when you are old enough to be a grandparent. He either knew it was wrong and did it anyone, or didn't realize it was wrong. Both are hugely problematic.

Exactly. Very well said.

And I know women who worked at Pixar in the past. While no one ever said they were victims of this type of abuse from John, they all said they had to leave because the atmosphere was toxic for anyone who wasn't a white male.

Pixieish

No matter what you may think, this was not about a man giving unwanted hugs (we've likely all received those in the past and not felt that we were violated or assaulted). This is all about a man with a major and known alcohol problem combined with ego and impulse control issues. This is a problem that sadly would have continued to stay hidden under the rug, with a ridiculous number of people knowing about it, had Kim Masters and THR not told Zenia to go blank herself, they were running the story.

Bob Iger knew about John's issues for many, many years. Possibly since soon after he came to Disney in the 1995 merger with Cap Cities/ABC. John isn't coming back to Disney and Pixar. You probably know that. Right now, security wouldn't let him in any company facility unless he was there to meet with lawyers and Bob.

Hugs, even unwanted ones, don't get you that, even at image crazy Disney in 2017. I know fans today who are taking this almost like a death in the family because John always felt like one of us, from his down to earth nature to the crazy shirts he wore. He was not an empty Goldman Sachs approved suit like Bob Iger. Or someone who just looked like the very definition of scum, like Harvey Weinstein (how many payouts did Disney make on his behalf with either Michael or Bob running the show?)

I don't know what the answer is. But the culture has to change and that's what's starting to happen.

Of course, one can ask why should this behavior be tolerated by the resident of the White House or a wannabe Senator from Alabama if it is so repugnant in Hollywood? At least there, sometimes, the accusers have been willing participants (see some of the posts on this forum regarding creatives taking liberties with underage boys) who got careers out of allowing themselves to be used and abused, what's the excuse in Washington? Or Wall Street? Or pretty much any and every major corporation out there?

This issue is a societal one. If not, the first or second time John pulled this, he would have been suspended if not fired immediately. But so long as one has the power or the support of those who do, and I can give you tens if not hundreds of billions of reasons why Disney largely ignored John's issues, it is ignored.

John Lasseter did save Walt Disney Feature Animation and is responsible for characters that are beloved the world over. Those things are all still true, but if you feel a little icky today and wonder if supporting Coco, which by all accounts is a beautiful high quality motion picture, makes you a tacit supporter of this behavior, you're not alone.

I wonder that too.

I wonder how the big, loveable, man child that made toys and cars and monsters come to life and make me smile, laugh and cry, could also be such a power hungry deviant. The man who was so charming to me in brief personal interactions could be so grotesque with women.

I just don't know that there's an answer. I do know know the behavior has to stop.

And due to some brave folks in the media, Disney isn't controlling the narrative here and all their social media influencers don't mean a damn thing.

Again, this is the start. Not the end. And before you decide to idolize someone, you should understand that you never get the full picture on someone unless you know them very well personally.

But there are stories being worked on right now and they are not about John. I have heard some wonder if John was sacrificed to make those stories go away or lessen their impact and all I can say is I don't know.

It isn't a happy day, but would it be better if things went on like it was any other day? Of course not.

Amen and well said. I can't even imagine what everyone at Disney and Pixar is going through right now.

Nemo14

Icky is a great word for the feeling I've had these past few weeks or so, but even the stories of Harvey Weinstein and all the others that followed, with the exception of Charlie Rose, didn't hit me as hard as this one. Maybe I see it as a violation of childhood, or in Charlie Rose's case, a violation of intelligence, but this week has just been a tough one.

WDW1974

That has basically already happened. He is viewed as toxic. There is no way in today's world that he will be allowed to ever return. Is it sad? Yes, but sadder for the people he victimized.

Also, for those who want to jump on people for not coming forward, have you ever been stuck with an NDA and been on the receiving end of lawyers from a multi-billion dollar worldwide corporation? You truly have no idea how much courage it takes to come out (listening to NBC Nightly News reporting on USA Olympic Gymnastics doctor who is going to jail for molesting at least seven girls on the team) and report someone, let alone someone beloved and powerful.

bclane

Icky is a great word for the feeling I've had these past few weeks or so, but even the stories of Harvey Weinstein and all the others that followed, with the exception of Charlie Rose, didn't hit me as hard as this one. Maybe I see it as a violation of childhood, or in Charlie Rose's case, a violation of intelligence, but this week has just been a tough one.
Same for me. I love Pixar and the characters that JL created but i’m not sure how i’m going to feel the next time I try to sit down to watch Toy Story etc. I know that those films are the result of years of work by hundreds of different people, and that is what I will try to focus on I guess. But they are still tainted for me now. This feels like losing a family member or finding out your dad is some kind of a deviant or some kind of felon or something. I’m just happy he won’t be able to hurt any more of his co-workers. That is really the only positive I can think of related to all this.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I wonder that too.

Thank you, Spirit - I can't like your comments enough.

As a victim of an equally talented and respected individual in this business, I'm hoping that the likes of Weinstein and Spacey spend the rest of their days in jail. The manner in which Spacey admitted his guilt and "apologized" was beyond comprehension. And Steve or Mom won't let me post what I really think of him.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

WDW1974

Charlie Rose and now John have hit me like none of the others. And I have lost count of how many have been accused or exposed in the last few months. I do feel icky. Because some of these people I really liked (Louis C.K.) or respected (Bill Cosby) or liked, respected and even knew a tiny bit (John). It didn't hit me so hard with people like Spacey or Goddard because I knew so much and knew it was just a matter of time.

John, it was always explained away ... oh, he's a drunk, he has a problem, he just is a big kid (and acts like his genitals are still 12), but he made Buzz and Mater. I would have much rather heard that Bob Iger had a massive coronary, but this isn't a made up tale or people looking to take him down. That's why I feel a little sick talking about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom