News Lasseter taking leave of absence

MerlinTheGoat

I would hope both Legal and PR would convince Disney of their error in doing so. Look what happened to Weinstein's company. It's dead. Now, I realize Disney is huge compared to Weinstein. But for a company that has a history - and prides itself on that history - of family friendly entertainment to rehire Lasseter could be corporate suicide.
I'd like to think it would be damaging for Disney to allow Lasseter to return. But i'm also aware of how easily distracted and forgetful the public is. As I said, this "sabbatical" is probably just a buffer period to allow the story to pass and he'll probably be back. Disney will probably also use their power to manipulate the news and social media where they're able, and buy the victims' silence.

Nemo14

I'd like to think it would be damaging for Disney to allow Lasseter to return. But i'm also aware of how easily distracted and forgetful the public is. As I said, this "sabbatical" is probably just a buffer period to allow the story to pass and he'll probably be back. Disney will probably also use their power to manipulate the news and social media where they're able, and buy the victims' silence.
"Squirrel!"

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

And they should be thoroughly rebuked if they do.

KBLovedDisney

I don't know about the whole 'forgetful public' thing. I mean it seems like this kind of bad circumstance is quite commonplace right now. The floodgates of announcing inappropriateness has been opened and nothing is going to stop it. I don't even think the big DC will be able to dissuade the public on this if everything comes up true.

Bairstow

Lasseter's letter wasn't addressed to the general public; it was addressed to Pixar staff. If he comes back in a few months like nothing happened, the public may have forgotten by then, but you can bet they won't have.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I know, but it's unfortunately true. I'm sure all of this going on so close to Thanksgiving when people are busy travelling and preparing for the holiday is no coincidence.

True. Sad, but true. Bury the story. But isn't Disney's big Christmas hoohaw Monday? Won't that bring up the topic again?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Lasseter's letter wasn't addressed to the general public; it was addressed to Pixar staff. If he comes back in a few months like nothing happened, the public may have forgotten by then, but you can bet they won't have.

I would expect departures in that case and also problems with recruitment.

MerlinTheGoat

And they should be thoroughly rebuked if they do.
This site will probably do that. But the question is whether the rest of the general public will remember to do so when/if the time comes.

I don't know about the whole 'forgetful public' thing. I mean it seems like this kind of bad circumstance is quite commonplace right now. The floodgates of announcing inappropriateness has been opened and nothing is going to stop it. I don't even thing the big DC will be able to dissuade the public on this if everything comes up true...
I don't mean the entire spectrum of sex crime stories will be forgotten so quickly, rather that specific individuals may be able to fly by, avoiding punishment. The fact that Lasseter wasn't fired immediately and instead placed on leave makes me think Disney is hoping to bring him back in after the buzz on him dies down. Again my guess is they're trying to sweep this story under the rug and keep Lasseter hidden away until the target moves onto a different person. Then he'll be quietly reinstated a few months from now while people are distracted with another story. It's sad, and hopefully i'm wrong, but I can see this as a possibility.

KBLovedDisney

This site will probably do that. But the question is whether the rest of the general public will remember to do so when/if the time comes.

I don't mean the entire spectrum of sex crime stories will be forgotten so quickly, rather that specific individuals may be able to fly by avoiding punishment. The fact that Lasseter wasn't fired immediately and instead placed on leave makes me think Disney is hoping to bring him back in after the buzz on him dies down. Again my guess is they're trying to sweep this story under the rug and keep Lasseter hidden away until the target moves onto a different person. Then he'll be quietly reinstated a few months from now while people are distracted with another story. It's sad, and hopefully i'm wrong, but I can see this as a possibility.
Sadly, so can I. :(

Phil12

It would appear that there is a lot more to the story than we know:
"A former Pixar employee requesting anonymity says Lasseter's leave of absence statement is "ridiculous" and "trivializing this behavior." The employee adds, "To sum this up as unwanted hugs is belittling and demeaning. If it was just unwanted hugs, he wouldn't be stepping down.""
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...uct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

AEfx

I can't say I disagree with any of this...

...and why earlier I said I can see this movement dying out quickly...

The reality is we are a frivolous people...and spoiled to only think about what we want.

I've watched for years: a discussion about which rooms to ask for at port Orleans will ramble on indefinitely...
...but discussing the longterm pricing dynamic/trends from the strategic perspective - which affects us all - is too "heavy" and "brings people down"...

Frivolity in the drivers seat.

I can't disagree, but I also see it from an angle that it is "hitting home" for a lot of people that it is not just gong to be the people they don't like who get torn down. I mean, I doubt anyone could have really called themselves a "Weinstein fan" to begin with, it was easy to eviscerate him (though I had to note the irony began there, as some of the same folks who consider themselves advocates for "body positive", etc. as saying things akin to "no one would ever want to touch that fat old fart willingly", and so on).

You started to see the shift with George Takei, NPR, Louis CK, and the shark really got jumped with Al Franken. Franken has become somewhat of a folk hero to the left, and I saw honest to goodness full-time advocates (SJW's, pick your term) who were trying to wrestle with the fact that they adored him politically and are grasping for how to justify keeping him in power with one fist, while the other fist is slamming anyone who has ever made the side-eye to a woman with a "rapey look". He fondled an unconscious woman and gleefully took a photograph for the express intent of humiliating her in retaliation against her expressing prior concerns, and I saw people honest to goodness trying to justify it because "flack jackets are really thick". (Anecdotally, the amount of people on my FB feed who were gleefully posting about allegation after allegation daily has completely dropped since then.)

We are also already seeing it be used as a revenge tactic, and people are catching on. Just look at Jeffery Tambor. The accusations against him were about as mild as any made thus far, and it isn't difficult to see it through as a political issue more than anything else. It was really him that made the show successful - and now that it was, there was a lot of building resentment because he isn't trans yet he was playing a trans character.

The positive thing, at least, is that people are on notice now - watch your behavior. So hopefully less of this will be happening in the future, once we get done litigating the past.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It would appear that there is a lot more to the story than we know:
"A former Pixar employee requesting anonymity says Lasseter's leave of absence statement is "ridiculous" and "trivializing this behavior." The employee adds, "To sum this up as unwanted hugs is belittling and demeaning. If it was just unwanted hugs, he wouldn't be stepping down.""
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...uct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

And this is what infuriates me. That former employee must speak under anonymity. And may very well be a victim. But because they need to earn a living and not be blackballed within the industry, they can't be named and put a face on a victim. While John Lasseter may very well return, quietly, in a few months. Is he receiving his salary during this "sabbatical"?

Donaldfan1934

That said, it's pointless to argue about it in this instance as none of that applies here. I've made it abundantly clear that relying on criminal proceeding to determine Lasseter's guilt is unnecessary. Lasseter admitted his guilt outright. I can't see how this could possibly be spun as a false allegation when the man confessed.
For the sake of argument, let's look at John Lasseter's memos, which I quoted bellow.

"I have always wanted our animation studios to be places where creators can explore their vision with the support and collaboration of other gifted animators and storytellers. This kind of creative culture takes constant vigilance to maintain. It’s built on trust and respect, and it becomes fragile if any members of the team don’t feel valued. As a leader, it’s my responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen; and I now believe I have been falling short in this regard.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

In my conversations with Disney, we are united in our commitment to always treat any concerns you have with the seriousness they deserve, and to address them
in an appropriate manner. We also share a desire to reinforce the vibrant, respectful culture that has been the foundation of our studios’ success since the beginning. And we agree the first step in that direction is for me to take some time away to reflect on how to move forward from here. As hard as it is for me to step away from a job I am so passionate about and a team I hold in the highest regard, not just as artists but as people, I know it’s the best thing for all of us right now. My hope is that a six-month sabbatical will give me the opportunity to start taking better care of myself, to recharge and be inspired, and ultimately return with the insight and perspective I need to be the leader you deserve.

I’m immensely proud of this team, and I know you will continue to wow the world in my absence. I wish you all a wonderful holiday season and look forward to working together again in the new year.

John"

While John Lasseter does appologize for his percieved lewd actions, he makes it appear as if he was only recently made aware of said perceptions and repeatedly states that his intentions were well meaning. This isn't to prove Lasseter innocent. In fact, one could argue that Lasseter is playing dumb here. However, I do think it should be clear that his admission here is one pleading ignorance and not outright guilt. And because of the nature of his plea, there will undoubtedly be more back and forth discussion regarding the nature of his actions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom