News Lasseter taking leave of absence

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For the sake of argument, let's look at John Lassiter's memos, which I quoted bellow.

"I have always wanted our animation studios to be places where creators can explore their vision with the support and collaboration of other gifted animators and storytellers. This kind of creative culture takes constant vigilance to maintain. It’s built on trust and respect, and it becomes fragile if any members of the team don’t feel valued. As a leader, it’s my responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen; and I now believe I have been falling short in this regard.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

In my conversations with Disney, we are united in our commitment to always treat any concerns you have with the seriousness they deserve, and to address them in an appropriate manner. We also share a desire to reinforce the vibrant, respectful culture that has been the foundation of our studios’ success since the beginning. And we agree the first step in that direction is for me to take some time away to reflect on how to move forward from here. As hard as it is for me to step away from a job I am so passionate about and a team I hold in the highest regard, not just as artists but as people, I know it’s the best thing for all of us right now. My hope is that a six-month sabbatical will give me the opportunity to start taking better care of myself, to recharge and be inspired, and ultimately return with the insight and perspective I need to be the leader you deserve.

I’m immensely proud of this team, and I know you will continue to wow the world in my absence. I wish you all a wonderful holiday season and look forward to working together again in the new year.

John"

While John Lasseter does appologize for his percieved lewd actions, he makes it appear as if he was only recently made aware of said perceptions and repeatedly states that his intentions were well meaning. This isn't to prove Lasseter innocent. In fact, one could argue that Lasseter is playing dumb here. However, I do think it should be clear that his admission here is one pleading ignorance and not outright guilt. And because of the nature of his plea, there will undoubtedly be more back and forth discussion regarding the nature of his actions.

I see that memo and what was written as Legal doing an excellent job to protect TWDC from any possible liability.

Angel Ariel

there is also a stark difference between "I was sexually assaulted" and "this person made me uncomfortable".

There is also a huge grey area in between those 2 things. I was never assaulted, but I was most certainly sexual harassed, to the point that I absolutely feared that the physical line would be crossed every time I was alone with that person (which was unavoidable). I was terrified to work with him, and equally terrified to report him. When I did find the courage to report him, officially filing a complaint with the appropriate people in the office, I learned many other women (and some men) had made similar complaints. With some he had crossed the physical line. None of us were believed. Nothing was done. Not only was nothing done, but he received a promotion after that. He never committed a criminal act with me, so there was nothing more I felt I could do, but it was certainly more than just him making me feel "uncomfortable."

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There is also a huge grey area in between those 2 things. I was never assaulted, but I was most certainly sexual harassed, to the point that I absolutely feared that the physical line would be crossed every time I was alone with that person (which was unavoidable). I was terrified to work with him, and equally terrified to report him. When I did find the courage to report him, officially filing a complaint with the appropriate people in the office, I learned many other women (and some men) had made similar complaints. With some he had crossed the physical line. None of us were believed. Nothing was done. Not only was nothing done, but he received a promotion after that. He never committed a criminal act with me, so there was nothing more I felt I could do, but it was certainly more than just him making me feel "uncomfortable."

And if Lasseter returns, I'm sure many women at Pixar will feel as you did.

Nemo14

and there are thousands and thousands of incidents just like this - it is soooooo disgusting on so many levels. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

disneygeek90

I sympathize with that feeling and story. The same thing happened to me with a co-worker where I was legitimately scared and did everything I could do to avoid him when we worked together. It's a horrible, horrible feeling and I'm not sure how humans justify it in their head.

HauntedMansionFLA

As much as I disagree with many of his business decisions, I hope Iger is as pure as the driven snow when it comes to harassment accusations. It would mean countless any number of additional women were not harassed or demeaned in the industry. So hoping Iger has harassed women as a way to get rid of him is completely tasteless and insensitive. And, no the smiley face at the end of the comment doesn't make it funny.
It will be interesting to see if there are e-mails between upper management, board of directors and Iger. That would be the smoking gun if there is a paper trail that proves Disney knew this behavior was going on for a long time and turned their head the other way.

Donaldfan1934

I see that memo and what was written as Legal doing an excellent job to protect TWDC from any possible liability.
Yes, but this is the closest thing we have to Lasseter's own words and people are using this to prove outright guilt when that is not the case. Again, not saying Lasseter is innocent at all. I'm just saying that this isn't a Louis CK situation where the accused unabashedly admits to all forms of wrongdoing including knowingly unethical intentions.

bhg469

Don’t even put that into the universe!

I’m so happy for these women having the courage to come forward and speak out against this sort of behavior. But as a man myself, I just don’t get men.
I don't know, I feel like as soon as people get in a position of power, it can really change the way they act and behave. Then you have people around people in power who will feed into that ego.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

She said her manager kept her out of meetings where Lasseter would be present, telling her it would be best for her not to attend the intimate weekly reviews because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls.”
----------
She said he would walk up to women in the office and kiss them on the lips.

“I found it shocking,” she said. “That’s not a normal way of greeting a colleague.”

She said she also heard from co-workers who told her that they had to hide from Lasseter at wrap parties. She said she never reported these issues because the systems were not in place to address the problem.

AEfx

And if Lasseter returns, I'm sure many women at Pixar will feel as you did.

At a certain point, though, we are all going to have to decide if we just completely destroy and/or banish everyone who is accused of anything remotely sexual with fire and brimstone, or realize that people can and do change. Particularly when something is brought to their attention like this. If he goes away for six months, and then comes back and this behavior is completely gone, people are going to have to decide if this is just about revenge or making change. We can't keep demeaning women by infantilizing them and presuming that in every situation everyone can't just be adults and move on if the behavior is corrected and people are empowered to know that if it happens again, there will be further consequences.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
At a certain point, though, we are all going to have to decide if we just completely destroy and/or banish everyone who is accused of anything remotely sexual with fire and brimstone, or realize that people can and do change. Particularly when something is brought to their attention like this. If he goes away for six months, and then comes back and this behavior is completely gone, people are going to have to decide if this is just about revenge or making change. We can't keep demeaning women by infantilizing them and presuming that in every situation everyone can't just be adults and move on if the behavior is corrected and people are empowered to know that if it happens again, there will be further consequences.
How about we send him away for the same amount of time he is accused of harassing woman...see you when you are 80 Lasseter.

Angel Ariel

I'd be more willing to accept him coming back if there's more to it than a 6 month absence and then he comes back to exactly where he left off, like nothing happened. Publicly acknowledging going to rehab, a demotion in some form within the company...having to earn his way back into the position he currently holds, rather than it just being waiting for him. Not saying is has to be thisr things specifically, those are just examples, but there should be reasonable consequences for him in the workplace environment if those he harassed are expected to not just move on, but move on and accept him in a leadership role again. He abused the trust that leadership needs to be successful. It's not revenge to say he needs to earn that trust back before being given the leadership role again.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
That's the revenge route.

Like I said, it's a decision that people are going to have to make.
If you are 60 years old living in the world all this time and don't know it's not okay to kiss for employees on the mouth, slide your hand up their thigh and under their skirt. If your female employees have to hide from you at parties, if managers tell their young female employees not to come to a meeting because of your behavior. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be fixed. As a person living in the world you should know this is not okay, someone shouldn't have to tell you when you are old enough to be a grandparent. He either knew it was wrong and did it anyone, or didn't realize it was wrong. Both are hugely problematic.

AEfx

It really is. And I'm one for believing in second chances...but we do have to keep in mind that change is super hard and doesn't happen overnight.

Absolutely. And for some, like a Weinstein, it's clearly past any type of redemption.

What I am waiting to hear on this one is if it was brought to his attention or not. It sounds like a lot of people avoided doing that. One of the corner stones of the legal definition of sexual harassment is that the person was told to stop or not.

This whole movement is going to face a lot of tough questions and issues that haven't even entered the greater discussion yet. The men are on notice, but we also have to acknowledge that there is some responsibility to bring this behavior to their attention, as well. Of course I am not talking about rapists, etc. - but a lot of the things that make up some of the more recent claims are things that socially are rather recent in being considered irredeemable offenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom