News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Nemo14

Charlie Rose and now John have hit me like none of the others. And I have lost count of how many have been accused or exposed in the last few months. I do feel icky. Because some of these people I really liked (Louis C.K.) or respected (Bill Cosby) or liked, respected and even knew a tiny bit (John). It didn't hit me so hard with people like Spacey or Goddard because I knew so much and knew it was just a matter of time.

John, it was always explained away ... oh, he's a drunk, he has a problem, he just is a big kid (and acts like his genitals are still 12), but he made Buzz and Mater. I would have much rather heard that Bob Iger had a massive coronary, but this isn't a made up tale or people looking to take him down. That's why I feel a little sick talking about it.
I totally get that. It's like America needs a long hot shower (or perhaps a cold shower).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That has basically already happened. He is viewed as toxic. There is no way in today's world that he will be allowed to ever return. Is it sad? Yes, but sadder for the people he victimized.

Also, for those who want to jump on people for not coming forward, have you ever been stuck with an NDA and been on the receiving end of lawyers from a multi-billion dollar worldwide corporation? You truly have no idea how much courage it takes to come out (listening to NBC Nightly News reporting on USA Olympic Gymnastics doctor who is going to jail for molesting at least seven girls on the team) and report someone, let alone someone beloved and powerful.

I do. Imagine as a 19 year old college freshman going to the Dean of your school and telling him that the Oscar winning lead in the Broadway bound play - written, directed, and produced by some of the most preeminent talent on Broadway, many of them multiple Tony winners - a play he worked so hard to bring to your program, just attacked one of your students.... And if the producer hadn't walked in, I don't doubt that it would have gone much, much further.

So yes, those women and men have courage few of us imagine. I keep thinking of Corey Feldman and how for So many years he was dismissed as a crazy, drug addicted former child star. Well, now we know.....

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I do. Imagine as a 19 year old college freshman going to the Dean of your school and telling him that the Oscar winning lead in the Broadway bound play - written, directed, and produced by some of the most preeminent talent on Broadway, many of them multiple Tony winners - a play he worked so hard to bring to your program, just attacked one of your students.... And if the producer hadn't walked in, I don't doubt that it would have gone much, much further.

So yes, those women and men have courage few of us imagine. I keep thinking of Corey Feldman and how for So many years he was dismissed as a crazy, drug addicted former child star. Well, now we know.....
Barbra Walters actually shamed him fro ruining people's lives in an old interview.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Charlie Rose and now John have hit me like none of the others. And I have lost count of how many have been accused or exposed in the last few months. I do feel icky. Because some of these people I really liked (Louis C.K.) or respected (Bill Cosby) or liked, respected and even knew a tiny bit (John). It didn't hit me so hard with people like Spacey or Goddard because I knew so much and knew it was just a matter of time.

John, it was always explained away ... oh, he's a drunk, he has a problem, he just is a big kid (and acts like his genitals are still 12), but he made Buzz and Mater. I would have much rather heard that Bob Iger had a massive coronary, but this isn't a made up tale or people looking to take him down. That's why I feel a little sick talking about it.

I agree about Charlie Rose. I really respected him and usually caught his program on PBS every night. Lasseter is a kick in the gut. And unlike others who have made me angry beyond words, this has made me sad since the news broke yesterday.

ThemeParkJunkee

I have spent some time digesting this and although I am heartsick, I have no doubts it is real. My daughter is an animator in CA. She has participated in panel discussions at Pixar headquarters on "Women in Animation". There aren't many of them. I have great photos of her at Pixar. It would have been the job of her dreams. She belongs to a professional group of women in the area. It is really hard for female animators to be taken seriously and uncomfortable situations happen often in larger studios.

John, however, wrong, wrong, wrong, and Just no. I can tell there is more to this story.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Same for me. I love Pixar and the characters that JL created but i’m not sure how i’m going to feel the next time I try to sit down to watch Toy Story etc. I know that those films are the result of years of work by hundreds of different people, and that is what I will try to focus on I guess. But they are still tainted for me now. This feels like losing a family member or finding out your dad is some kind of a deviant or some kind of felon or something. I’m just happy he won’t be able to hurt any more of his co-workers. That is really the only positive I can think of related to all this.

How about doing a 'song of the south' disappearing act on all properties that lasseter worked on, obviously they are tainted....

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have spent some time digesting this and although I am heartsick, I have no doubts it is real. My daughter is an animator in CA. She has participated in panel discussions at Pixar headquarters on "Women in Animation". There aren't many of them. I have great photos of her at Pixar. It would have been the job of her dreams. She belongs to a professional group of women in the area. It is really hard for female animators to be taken seriously and uncomfortable situations happen often in larger studios.

John, however, wrong, wrong, wrong, and Just no. I can tell there is more to this story.

To work at Pixar was my daughter's dream job. Glad she chose a different field after reading the accounts in both THR and LA Times.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't make light of how @bclane feels. Our house is literally bursting with Cars, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. toys...it's hard to put this awfulness out of your mind when things Lasseter created are right there.

What makes you think i'm making light of the situation. In corporate America when a exec does something bad everything they touched goes down an Orwellian 'memory hole'

Disney's corporate cleanup crew is going to work overtime to make it seem like Lasseter never worked for Disney,

They will probably go as far as to pay him to remove his credits from movies and photoshop him out of pictures (like they did to Staggs)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I’m not sure how to take your post. Are you serious or are you trolling me? I was at Hollywood Studios today and we skipped TSMM if that tells you anything.

I'm being serious, just watch how fast every reference to Lasseter is removed from public facing materials.

I'm also betting that Lasseter not being fired outright means hes got the goods on higher ranking individuals.

Yert3

Holy cow. All you people are going to write of years of amazing movies because of this? They’re still the same and always will be.
I was at Hollywood Studios today and we skipped TSMM if that tells you anything.
Oh well, less people in front of me in line at least.

Pixieish

What makes you think i'm making light of the situation. In corporate America when a exec does something bad everything they touched goes down an Orwellian 'memory hole'

Disney's corporate cleanup crew is going to work overtime to make it seem like Lasseter never worked for Disney,

They will probably go as far as to pay him to remove his credits from movies and photoshop him out of pictures (like they did to Staggs)

Your statement came off as very snarky and as if you were making fun and rolling your eyes.

I'm being serious, just watch how fast every reference to Lasseter is removed from public facing materials.

I'm also betting that Lasseter not being fired outright means hes got the goods on higher ranking individuals.

And that knee-jerk reaction to just remove anything we find offensive is ridiculous. While removing his name and likeness from everything may make some short-sighted segment of the population and SJWs feel better, it doesn't address the issue...it hides it, and when we don't acknowledge past mistakes is when we guarantee that we'll make them again.

A much wiser move would be to acknowledge deficiencies in having protocols in place and to remedy the issue immediately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom