News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Yert3

If any works of Pixar are 'tainted' because of JL's involvement it would be the Toys and Cars franchises for which he has writing credits. He obviously has producer credits for everything else, but, with regard to the hands on creative process, it's mainly Toys and Cars.
Nothing is tainted. It’s the same as it always was.

AEfx

No, not really. But thanks for having smart *** post No. 1.

Oh no, I cede that to you - your post was certainly the #1...I have to settle for #2. ;)

In any case, glad to see you poke in - hopefully you'll also stop in to your old stooping ground (#15!) and give folks an update on how your new site is coming along - they ask about it every once in awhile, and I know your fans (me included!) would love an update. It would also be great if you would weigh in on some of the more recent big (non-sexual) Disney news - I'm sure you have a really unique take on the Disney/Fox buy-out talks we would love to hear.

brb1006

If any works of Pixar are 'tainted' because of JL's involvement it would be the Toys and Cars franchises for which he has writing credits. He obviously has producer credits for everything else, but, with regard to the hands on creative process, it's mainly Toys and Cars.
Especially Toy Story

AEfx

Barbra Walters actually shamed him fro ruining people's lives in an old interview.

It was taken out of context in the clip circulating. If you watch the entire segment, it was that he was going around making all kinds of statements, but not actually saying who, and leaving people to guess - which meant that people were getting accused that he wasn't even directly accusing but were being tainted by his "clues" as they could have been multiple people.

But hey, Corey says if we give his Kickstarter 10 million bucks, he will tell all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't make light of how @bclane feels. Our house is literally bursting with Cars, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. toys...it's hard to put this awfulness out of your mind when things Lasseter created are right there.

I don't see how it's personal trauma because you have Pixar stuff from china.

I get that's it's appalling...and not defending anything that's been done...

But disney is an international conglomerate whose sole goal is to take all you money...not your priest or your uncle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was taken out of context in the clip circulating. If you watch the entire segment, it was that he was going around making all kinds of statements, but not actually saying who, and leaving people to guess - which meant that people were getting accused that he wasn't even directly accusing but were being tainted by his "clues" as they could have been multiple people.

But hey, Corey says if we give his Kickstarter 10 million bucks, he will tell all.

Still...even if out of context...he was right. But the first instinct - sadly - is to make the victim prove it, not make the attacker defend himself.

Hopefully that will change...

radiohost

This summer during D23 my wife and I at once asked each other "Gee, that's the first time we've seen John in a public appearance in a long time, in fact, the only time we really see him is during D23 every two years".

Pixieish

But disney is an international conglomerate whose sole goal is to take all you money...not your priest or your uncle.
No, but I have used him as an example of professional success in an enjoyable career to my son. I'm an artist, and I admired him. So while I may not know him personally, yes, this is a shock to me. Am I traumatized? Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. But it's going to be a while before I can look at all the toys in our house without feeling some level of disgust.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

People are upset that something that gave them so much joy was created by a man who was terrorizing women all these years. I
can see that. It takes a while to process that.
You look at Woody and Buzz and you think of the man who created it. I personally can't watch anything by Stanly Kubrick Roman Polanski after learning of his crimes.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would hate to see us as a society believe we should tear down or diminish just because someone of poor character had a hand in creating something. Too many good people would be unduly harmed by that.

Agreed...

It's kinda silly to suggest that. Lasseter didn't do all these things single handedly.

Quick...somebody run over to wdw and halt the toy story land!
Retheme it to flubber...STAT!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People are upset that something that gave them so much joy was created by a man who was terrorizing women all these years. I
can see that. It takes a while to process that.
You look at Woody and Buzz and you think of the man who created it. I personally can't watch anything by Stanly Kubrick after learning of his crimes.

Yes...but a bit of detachment from media product is usually warranted, no?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, but I have used him as an example of professional success in an enjoyable career to my son. I'm an artist, and I admired him. So while I may not know him personally, yes, this is a shock to me. Am I traumatized? Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. But it's going to be a while before I can look at all the toys in our house without feeling some level of disgust.

I get it...but I think the outrage is gonna subside rather quickly...just a hunch.

AEfx

Folks, Animation is a collaborative medium. He didn’t single handily make these films. Except for maybe “Luxo Jr.”. Even then he had a team of engineers that made the short technically possible.

That's not how the "outrage machine" sees it, though. In a lot of circles, people refuse to watch Miramax films period now.

It's kind of interesting culturally to watch people push push push but when they start to realize the impact of what they are pushing, they want to pull back.

In this case, thankfully for Disney, the general public really doesn't know who the hell John Lasseter is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom