Lasers back on in Dinosaur

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
After seeing the videos, I don't like that this laser vortex is "always on". For instance, in the beginning, it should really shut off after you "break through" to the past, and in the return tunnel, it shouldn't turn on until you are closer to it. Maybe this still needs more tweaking, though.
I agree. It needs timing to the wayside computer. Hopefully this is a start. Imagine If it appeared in sync to the appropriate audio cue like the originals did, and grew into a cone out of a single point of light....

tnemgif

Both played for me, thank you!
These look really cool - the only concern is that it seems to detract from the final T-Rex that pops out over the rovers. Still a cool effect, and hopefully not just a one-time fluke in the DAK maintenance&repair battle.

articos

So I have an odd question. How does stuff like this get added? Do Imagineers check up on the rides occasionally and make suggestions? Do the rides get an allotment of money each year to plus the attraction? Like where does the idea and the funding come from to add stuff to an existing attraction?
Yes, WDI does check up on the attractions. Nowhere near as much as they'd like, though. There is a show quality (small) group that is tasked with making sure attractions are working to spec, and also helping to plus attractions when necessary. Budget comes from multiple places depending on various factors. The idea is generally initiated within WDI, unless ops happens to make a suggestion or sometimes the techs will suggest a different way of doing something to achieve a goal that will be implemented by WDI. And every so often the execs will see something or have an idea and pass it over.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Makes you wonder if they can go in and remove the relatively new awful gobo projection that was added to the top of SSEs ascent in 180top.

And perhaps use it somewhere more suitable?

t3techcom18

On the OP: I haven't seen the lasers in person yet but it's definitely awesome. Like Martin said though, I wish they were timed to the show. Right now, the timing in the finale is better than it is at the beginning. This was all obviously done during 3rd shift though, so I don't think it's bad to assume that they're still tinkering with it. Great effects towards a ride that definitely needs some plussing.

Yes, WDI does check up on the attractions. Nowhere near as much as they'd like, though. There is a show quality (small) group that is tasked with making sure attractions are working to spec, and also helping to plus attractions when necessary. Budget comes from multiple places depending on various factors. The idea is generally initiated within WDI, unless ops happens to make a suggestion or sometimes the techs will suggest a different way of doing something to achieve a goal that will be implemented by WDI. And every so often the execs will see something or have an idea and pass it over.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Makes you wonder if they can go in and remove the relatively new awful gobo projection that was added to the top of SSEs ascent in 180top.

And perhaps use it somewhere more suitable?
? Gobo projection? I'm assuming you mean the starfield projection or the actual Earth projection?

ctxak98

After watching it a bunch of times I have decided they need to definitely tweak the timing! the first one should end sooner and the last one should start later! other then that its a great effect!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
? Gobo projection? I'm assuming you mean the starfield projection or the actual Earth projection?
No, the blobby swirls of light on the outer wall as you enter 180top. They were added a few years back 3rd shift by someone trying to justify their position. They look like cheap 1980s disco fx.

Figments Friend

Possibly give the videos a minute to process. They were literally shot in the last ten minutes, sent to me in the UK from the ride exit and I uploaded as fast as possible.

Edit - both should play fine now.
Thank you for these Martin. Nice to see the addition.
This makes the transition a little more exciting visually.
Though it is a small addition, those little things add to the overall experience in a good way.

All i can think of watching those videos is the haunted house i used to work at....we had the same 'vortex tunnel' lasers with fog in one of our hallways.

Figments Friend

I like them! I feel like there should be more movement though, to make things more chaotic. I also feel like they should time the second laser a few seconds later because people might pay attention to that instead of the dino above them.
Agree. It should light up right after you drop to escape the Carnotaur head.
Where the laser is positioned on the ride however looks like if this was done, the vehicle would already be too far under the beam to create a effective effect.

Tom Morrow

No, the blobby swirls of light on the outer wall as you enter 180top. They were added a few years back 3rd shift by someone trying to justify their position. They look like cheap 1980s disco fx.
Yeah, that projection makes no sense at all to me. In fact, until I recently found out it was, in fact, a projection, I thought it was light leak from something and wasn't supposed to be there.

ID3052

I rode it Monday and it was a nice sight to see. I can't remember the last time I saw lasers working! The first laser is always on but the last labor turned off eventually, if I recall correctly.

Steve

articos

What happened in Paris?
In 2011, some of scenic rockwork in the moving boulders earthquake element on lift hill c of Big Thunder Mountain dislodged and injured 5 guests. After that incident, safety and legal have been much more stringent towards enforcing certain prohibitions, such as no moving elements or scenic that could come down placed above guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom