La Fiesta de MJ

lunalovegoddess

Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/28/wmmr28.xml

as for the alpacas and llamas, I can't seem to find the link to the Animal Planet episode that I'm thinking of. The gist of it is that all sorts of animals are used in animal-assisted therapies for children with disabilities. About a month ago, I saw the show featuring a girl who had formed a bond with an alpaca at a farm where they offer riding programs. The child learned to feed and groom the alpaca and it helped her to compensate for her cerebral palsy and autism.
I've spent all morning looking for information on animal-assisted therapy. What I have come up with are mainly dog-related links. Not much on the llama and alpaca riding farms. :brick:

MommytoMJM

lunalovegoddess said:
:sohappy:I'm so glad that MJ did well with the pony ride, and that you had a nice time. A friend of mine whose child has autism took her to visit a woman who raises llamas or alpacas... I'm a firm believer in pet therapy/animal therapy. Me too! I've seen many children with disabilities who have made incredible advances once they started regular interaction with animals. If I come across the link to the alpaca place, I'll let you know. Great! I hope that you have the opportunity to visit the ponies with MJ again soon. :) I'm planning on once a weeks for now.

I came across something odd this morning that I wondered if you had heard about. On the food allergy website that I frequent, www.foodyoucaneat.com there was an article about the MMR vaccine and a possible link to some forms of autism. Yes. Mj is not immunized, for a variety of reasons (call if you want to talk about it) and this is one of the many reasons why she's not vaccinated. Now, it's probably naught to do with MJ's autism, but interesting reading nonetheless. Nope, nothing to do with it since she isn't :lookaroun Out of curiosity (because I cannot remember if you told me this) how old was MJ when the docs diagnosed the onset of autism? I and her therapists knew at 18 mos, she was first dxed with Sensory Integration Disorder, then Pervasive Develomental Disorder and finally Classic Autism with Hypersocial tendencies when she was 4.5 Considering her age at adoption and all, did she present before you brought her home or after? We got her at birth. We didn't know what all was going to be wrong, but we knew what the birthmother had done wrong, so we knew she'd have multiple special needs and she did havem right from the beginning. There is a story that goes iwht that, outr adoption was delated by 3.5 mos because the social worker didn't think we'd be able to handle a Special needs baby :fork: :fork: :fork:

Hi Sweets! Answers above in red!

MommytoMJM

lunalovegoddess said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/28/wmmr28.xml

as for the alpacas and llamas, I can't seem to find the link to the Animal Planet episode that I'm thinking of. The gist of it is that all sorts of animals are used in animal-assisted therapies for children with disabilities. About a month ago, I saw the show featuring a girl who had formed a bond with an alpaca at a farm where they offer riding programs. The child learned to feed and groom the alpaca and it helped her to compensate for her cerebral palsy and autism.
I've spent all morning looking for information on animal-assisted therapy. What I have come up with are mainly dog-related links. Not much on the llama and alpaca riding farms. :brick:

Thanks for the link and for looking up the animals! That reminds me, I need to look up the number for PAWS I want to see about getting MJ a service dog.

lunalovegoddess

MommytoMJM said:
Thanks for the link and for looking up the animals! That reminds me, I need to look up the number for PAWS I want to see about getting MJ a service dog.

I know that most assistance places use retrievers, but I wonder if they also use corgis... I've always wondered if they were suitable for autistic children. They are small but sturdy, have a herding instinct to keep the kids out of trouble, and can be taught to distract a child from having a meltdown. I've seen them used for hearing impaired and seizure-related work before.
One day I would love to be able to introduce MJ to my dog Ringo. My training with him is going much better now and he responds to many commands.

It's amazing how much love and support service animals can give. I hope that you find exactly what you need in a service animal. Good Luck! :sohappy:

Uponastar

Fantasmic!329 said:
Quite. :lol:
More cookies today!!!

You're doing an awful lot of cookie eating on this trip! :lol:
Hope you take some time to do some sightseeing!
It's supposed to be close to 100 here this week.
Today was close to that and it was pretty unbearable!

Pongo

Original Poster
Another crappy day at wrok. I swear, if the people I work with weren't so cool, I'd have been driven to the edge by now.

Anyway, I'm going for a little stress buster run.

I'll be back on later :wave:

Uponastar

Pongo said:
Another crappy day at wrok. I swear, if the people I work with weren't so cool, I'd have been driven to the edge by now.

Anyway, I'm going for a little stress buster run.

I'll be back on later :wave:

Goodness, if it's as hot there as it is here, you better not run far.
It can't be good for you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom