KODAK Wanting Out of Imagination?

MythBuster

The contract with Kodak ends on July 1. Captain EO opens on July 2. Kodak used to have exclusive rights to sell only Kodak film in the parks and resorts but I guess that is going to change now. I think they will also take out all the Kodak picture spots also.

lebeau

The contract with Kodak ends on July 1. Captain EO opens on July 2. Kodak used to have exclusive rights to sell only Kodak film in the parks and resorts but I guess that is going to change now. I think they will also take out all the Kodak picture spots also.

My mom still uses film (in spite of the fact he has a digital camera.)

No one else I know still uses film.

I do have a nice Kodak digital camera that came with a free printer though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is it just me, or has the Disney company been bereft of original ideas recently?
Glendale isn`t. It`s (I hate to bang the same drum but...) the suits. The money men. The bean counters.

WDI have some amazing plans for JII. If only they were allowed to follow them through I guarantee the line in Futureworld West would be on a par with TT or SSE.

jt04

Glendale isn`t. It`s (I hate to bang the same drum but...) the suits. The money men. The bean counters.

WDI have some amazing plans for JII. If only they were allowed to follow them through I guarantee the line in Futureworld West would be on a par with TT or SSE.

This is what is so frustrating. I thought Iger had a different outlook on expansion than Eisner but I have my doubts now. Iger admits he is scaling back. But just watch the crowds the new DCA starts to attract over the next couple years.

When they let Imagineering loose Disney more than gets back it's investment.

Vision. Dosen't anyone have vision anymore? Imagine what Walt would create if he had access to the capital and leverage the Walt Disney Corp has at it's disposal! Mind boggling.

A complete incompetent could run the theme parks with more creative vision than this current regime. :brick:

Especially the WDW parks. I miss Eisner. :lol:

SeaCastle

This is what is so frustrating. I thought Iger had a different outlook on expansion than Eisner but I have my doubts now. Iger admits he is scaling back. But just watch the crowds the new DCA starts to attract over the next couple years.

When they let Imagineering loose Disney more than gets back it's investment.

Vision. Dosen't anyone have vision anymore? Imagine what Walt would create if he had access to the capital and leverage the Walt Disney Corp has at it's disposal! Mind boggling.

A complete incompetent could run the theme parks with more creative vision than this current regime. :brick:

Especially the WDW parks. I miss Eisner. :lol:

I'd take Iger over Eisner any day. Look at what happend when Eisner handed Disneyland (and Disney theme parks as a whole) to Paul Pressler? Currently, the Disney Parks are in a state of unprecedented expansion...with the construction of Disneyland Shanghai, new additions to Hong Kong Disneyland, a $1 billion renovation of California Adventure, a $300 million+ expansion to Fantasyland, a new DVC resort in Hawaii, two huge new cruiseships, plus expansion at Disneyland Resort Paris, plus the cost of upkeep at all of those parks. I viewed Iger's comment as a statement of a less-aggressive expansion policy, since there are multiple smaller-scale projects down the pipeline (i.e. Monsters Inc. coaster/JIYI refurb). These projects are nowhere near as expensive, extensive, or as ambitious as what we're seeing now. Sure, those kinds of thing are huge to us WDW fans, but in the global spectrum, it's a drop in a pond.

_Scar

I'd take Iger over Eisner any day. Look at what happend when Eisner handed Disneyland (and Disney theme parks as a whole) to Paul Pressler? Currently, the Disney Parks are in a state of unprecedented expansion...with the construction of Disneyland Shanghai, new additions to Hong Kong Disneyland, a $1 billion renovation of California Adventure, a $300 million+ expansion to Fantasyland, a new DVC resort in Hawaii, two huge new cruiseships, plus expansion at Disneyland Resort Paris, plus the cost of upkeep at all of those parks. I viewed Iger's comment as a statement of a less-aggressive expansion policy, since there are multiple smaller-scale projects down the pipeline (i.e. Monsters Inc. coaster/JIYI refurb). These projects are nowhere near as expensive, extensive, or as ambitious as what we're seeing now. Sure, those kinds of thing are huge to us WDW fans, but in the global spectrum, it's a drop in a pond.

Good point.

There really is something new coming at every resort destination.

But it's still not proportional since WDW offers so much, but is getting something new in only one park.

jt04

I think the FLE is great but only if they expand or fix problems at the other 3 parks and DTD. DAK needs a new land desperately. Future World needs serious upgrades and a revitilized mission statement. DHS needs two or three major attractions added. DTD needs it's bold and new PI refurb. DCA is a perfect example of how it should be done.

I think the FLE is great but only if they expand or fix problems at the other 3 parks and DTD. DAK needs a new land desperately. Future World needs serious upgrades and a revitilized mission statement. DHS needs two or three major attractions added. DTD needs it's bold and new PI refurb. DCA is a perfect example of how it should be done.
The best thing that could happen to DAK is Beastly Kingdom. Epcot needs a major refurbishment of the Imagination Pavillion, and MGM along with Star Tours 2 needs the Monsters Inc roller coaster. Also the rumor of the Phineas and Ferb 4D attraction replacing Sounds Dangerous should be greenlit as well. This would cost billions of dollars to do all at once so its best they take this in phases.

the-reason14

The best thing that could happend to DAK is Beastly Kingdom. Epcot needs a major refurbishment of the Imagination Pavillion, and MGM along with Star Tours 2 needs the Monsters Inc roller coaster. Also the rumor of the Phineas and Ferb 4D attraction replacing Sounds Dangerous should be greenlit as well. This would cost billions of dollars to do all at once so its best they take this in phases.

They're actually gonna do a phineas and ferb attraction? I guess it being a 3d film is easier to replace just in case it loses steam.

_Scar

The best thing that could happen to DAK is Beastly Kingdom. Epcot needs a major refurbishment of the Imagination Pavillion, and MGM along with Star Tours 2 needs the Monsters Inc roller coaster. Also the rumor of the Phineas and Ferb 4D attraction replacing Sounds Dangerous should be greenlit as well. This would cost billions of dollars to do all at once so its best they take this in phases.

Not even close to billions, but I get your point :lol:

Not even close to billions, but I get your point :lol:
Beastly Kingdom alone would be around the 500 million range. The Monsters Inc coaster with all the bells and whistles would cost around 200 million along with constructing a seprate building to house the coaster behind the Soundstage. Add the major refurbishment of the Imagination Pavillion and you have at least a 1.5 billion dollar price tag on your hands.

spaceghost

They're actually gonna do a phineas and ferb attraction? I guess it being a 3d film is easier to replace just in case it loses steam.

Man, that would be so cool. Phineas and Ferb is one of the best non-Pixar related pieces of entertainment that the Mouse House has done in the past 10 years. Absolutely hilarious and entertaining for all ages, without being mean-spirited. Would love to see more of them in the parks (and hopefully they don't go away any time soon).

NiarrNDisney

You speak the truth.

This is much better than......

disney2_246_journey_into_imagination.jpg

the alternative.

2900851604_d16703fa02.jpg

And Scene!

puntagordabob

Just so long as they never show the HISKA pre-show EVER again.
That's the single worst thing on Disney property.

Sorry that Honor belongs to the Under New Management Tiki Room! Now thats an easy fix: Bring the Disneyland Cali version to WDW! Of course your choice is a close second! :)

As for getting rid of Imagination...there are a ton of Figment fans...and Disney already tried to "retire" him before and well you all know how badly that was for them lol.... I agree with a lot of the others about the original Dreamfinder and Figment "team" being the best...they should restore the length of the ride...put some real serious Imagineering into the attraction, but still keeping it a ride that we can enjoy with our kids...a thrill ride would KILL the love in my opinion.... The Imagination pavilion should always be simply "Fun" for all ages.

NadieMasK2

I love love Figment, but unfortunately my kids, ages 20 and 14, think he is very lame and don't like him because of the ride he represents. He has nostalgic value for my generation but not for theirs. Unless they do something amazing with him it may be best to start with a fresh idea, hate to say it. I'm always trying to get them into him, pointing out plush and things, and they just have no interest whatsoever. WDW and Kodak have killed the character.

SeaCastle

I'd be very shocked if the MI coaster cost anywhere near 200 million.

I think $200 million is a bit unreasonable for the MI coaster. I don't know much about the project, but I think $100 million is more reasonable (the same cost as Expedition Everest and slightly less than Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

EpcotFanForever

I love love Figment, but unfortunately my kids, ages 20 and 14, think he is very lame and don't like him because of the ride he represents. He has nostalgic value for my generation but not for theirs. Unless they do something amazing with him it may be best to start with a fresh idea, hate to say it. I'm always trying to get them into him, pointing out plush and things, and they just have no interest whatsoever. WDW and Kodak have killed the character.

His charm is now a figment of our imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom