KODAK Wanting Out of Imagination?

GrumpyFan

Canon would be a great fit.

Indeed, they would, or their rival Nikon would be as well. Both of these camera companies seem to have big pockets when it comes to advertising.

The problem though, as pointed out by others, is that Disney hasn't done too well in attracting new sponsors in the last few years. I think they could use an "evangelist" who could go and sell the Disney brand to sponsors with deep pockets and are willing to help create the "Next Generation" experience. Surely there are some out there with the money. Why not persue Richard Branson, of course he could be problematic for Disney. Maybe get more involvement by Apple or IBM. Others?

Brian_WDW74

I have to admit I have doubts about this rumor. Kodak is sponsoring Captain EO at Disneyland and it seems to be a huge success. I don't see why it would want to drop sponsorship before EO starts at Epcot.

worldfanatic

I generally like to experience every part of Epcot when visiting.
However, the entire Imagination pavilion has become a total "walk by" for me.
Not even remotely tempted to enter.:snore::snore::snore:

New sponsor or not, they need to gut that entire building and start over.

fractal

Kodak is a $4 stock, lost over $200 million last year and is a shadow of it's former life as a corporate giant.

At this point, the pavillion sponsorship with the shape it's in only enhances the image in one's mind of Kodak as a "has been".

A new sponsor with deep pockets and real imagination would be great.

b94ronman

becareful what you wish for......whose to say that if kodak pulls out, that the new sponsor would want anything to do with restoring Journey into Imagination? For instance Apple, (which i'm a huge fan of) why would they want to "tie" themselves to something that kodak was a part of for 28 years.....If I was investing a huge sum of money into something, I would want to alot of "input" in what it was, and not just some rebuild of an attraction that once was......I want JII to be restored to it's former glory as much as everyone else, but a new sponsor may not feel the same, and want nothing to do with an old, unimaginative, dead attraction....which is what it is now. To them, moving forward may be something totally new.....just like Fugi wanted years ago.....though back then the attraction was still one of the best dark rides ever created....it may have needed some updating.....but it certainly didn't need to become the disaster is now, Fugi wanted a trill ride in it's place. Kodak is still there.....I would try and sell them on restoring it (with 2010 technology) and being apart of becoming the #1 most visited pavilion again in EPCOT. You still may have some of the original Kodak staff left who believed and saw what the Pavilion once was...and may believe again. In this time, keeping Kodak around would probably be easier then finding someone new that's willing to invest a ton of money...just my thoughts.

BrerFrog

I don't know if many of you have noticed...but when we loose sponsors, we haven't been so quick to get replacements in. So while the "let's get someone in there who will care about Imagination" is optimistic, I think it's a far cry from what will actually happen.

I share the same pessimism, unfortauntely. If Kodak drops out I think we will either lose the Imagination Pavillion and get a new one built on its place, or it will simply be closed for good.

thecompman

While I'm all for new sponsorship and a "fresh" outlook on the Imagination Pavilion.

We must also consider something else, when I took the Undiscovered Future World Tour we were told by our CM guide that the characters of Figment and Dreamfinder are actually owned by Kodak and not Disney.

So if Kodak was to leave it's very possible that Figment might too. Unless Disney bought out the rights to the characters or made some sort of other arrangement. Now I have no proof that Kodak truly owns these guys except what the CM on the tour told me.

Azerin

Honestly, I feel like Kodak is a has been company that hasn't really made the leap to the new digital photography age in a way to keep it relevant and I really want Imagination to get the love and attention that it deserves. If all that means looking for a new sponsor than so be it... but I would be leery of them not finding a new sponsor and what happens then.

In the end it will be up to Kodak and Disney... if Kodak doesn't want to keep (or can't afford to keep) the sponsorship then obviously it will end... hopefully Disney could find someone to take their place and turn around the pavilion.

devoy1701

becareful what you wish for......whose to say that if kodak pulls out, that the new sponsor would want anything to do with restoring Journey into Imagination? For instance Apple, (which i'm a huge fan of) why would they want to "tie" themselves to something that kodak was a part of for 28 years.....If I was investing a huge sum of money into something, I would want to alot of "input" in what it was, and not just some rebuild of an attraction that once was......I want JII to be restored to it's former glory as much as everyone else, but a new sponsor may not feel the same, and want nothing to do with an old, unimaginative, dead attraction....which is what it is now. To them, moving forward may be something totally new.....just like Fugi wanted years ago.....though back then the attraction was still one of the best dark rides ever created....it may have needed some updating.....but it certainly didn't need to become the disaster is now, Fugi wanted a trill ride in it's place. Kodak is still there.....I would try and sell them on restoring it (with 2010 technology) and being apart of becoming the #1 most visited pavilion again in EPCOT. You still may have some of the original Kodak staff left who believed and saw what the Pavilion once was...and may believe again. In this time, keeping Kodak around would probably be easier then finding someone new that's willing to invest a ton of money...just my thoughts.

sounds kind of like what we get when World of Motion is replaced by Test Track, and Horizon's is replaced by Mission Space. The new sponsors want something completely new.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I'm all for new sponsorship and a "fresh" outlook on the Imagination Pavilion.

We must also consider something else, when I took the Undiscovered Future World Tour we were told by our CM guide that the characters of Figment and Dreamfinder are actually owned by Kodak and not Disney.

So if Kodak was to leave it's very possible that Figment might too. Unless Disney bought out the rights to the characters or made some sort of other arrangement. Now I have no proof that Kodak truly owns these guys except what the CM on the tour told me.
I guess it would be possible for Kodak to own Figment and Dreamfinder but they were created by Imagineer Steve Kirk and Tony Baxter so one would think that Disney owns them. Figment was also used outside of the attraction quite a bit. He was the Mickey Mouse of Epcot back when the park opened.

MKCP 1985

Figment was also used outside of the attraction quite a bit. He was the Mickey Mouse of Epcot back when the park opened.

You mean "the Stitch," don't you? :drevil:

I am going to go out on a limb here and ask where's the love for Kodak, a company whose leadership walked hand in hand with Walt Disney himself from Day 1 of Disneyland and who paid for all those park maps we covet and collect.

Now that Kodak is having its own challenges, Disney should work with them a little to show appreciation for all the benefits Disney has reaped all these many years from the association with this company who stepped up when Fuji and Canon and Nikon were nowhere to be found. :D

Okay, did someone say Mt. Fuji roller coaster? If so, goodbye Kodak, and hello Fuji! :lol:

thecompman

I guess it would be possible for Kodak to own Figment and Dreamfinder but they were created by Imagineer Steve Kirk and Tony Baxter so one would think that Disney owns them. Figment was also used outside of the attraction quite a bit. He was the Mickey Mouse of Epcot back when the park opened.

Yes, the CM mentioned that. He said that is actually why they stopped using him as the "Mickey Mouse" of Epcot is because they kept having to pay royalties or usage fees to Kodak and that's why suddenly Figment wasn't the mascot of Epcot anymore.

Again I'm only recounting what I was told and have no personal knowledge or insight into any of this.

DisneyNut2007

Anyone who tells you that is highly misinformed.

The characters of Figment and Dreamfinder are purely Disney creations and are 100% owned by Disney .

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, the CM mentioned that. He said that is actually why they stopped using him as the "Mickey Mouse" of Epcot is because they kept having to pay royalties or usage fees to Kodak and that's why suddenly Figment wasn't the mascot of Epcot anymore.

Again I'm only recounting what I was told and have no personal knowledge or insight into any of this.
Nor do I. Like I said it does sound plausible but the backstage tours do spread incorrect information from time to time which is why I doubt it just a little. The "ring" at HM is a good example of this.

FigmentJedi

Why are Fig and DF on so many pins if they're owned by Kodak? And wouldn't we be seeing little licensing notations in everything about Epcot about Figment being owned by Kodak?

captainbuzzy

With all the ties between Apple and Disney / Pixar I'm wondering why Apple has not sponsored an attraction. Maybe that time is coming?

With the $ that Steve Jobs gained from the Disney's aquisition of Pixar and the cash pile that Apple is sitting on I have to believe that Jobs would possibly be open to it.

Isn't there an old myth about putting an apple in a pyramid?

Figment1986

Attention the following companies:

Apple, Nikon, Canon... there is a pavilion that could use a sponsor!

(film may be kitch, but digital is standard)

aladdin2007

If we do lose Kodak I fear the current ride will run as is for eons without a sponsor or they will just shutter it all together because so many people hate it anyway.

As much as I think its time for Kodak to go (since they dont seem to have any love for the place) and a new one come in, Im thinking it could also be the worst case scenario in the present because I dont see Disney actively looking for sponsors anymore etc. But who knows what they do behind the scenes regarding that.

The last time they removed figment it was the revolution and outcry of WDW history, I doubt they want to make that mistake again.

So A, Kodak will step in and save it and remain
B, Kodak will drop and the pavilion will stay awful as is running
C, Kodak will drop and a new sponsor will come with new attraction hopefully with figment somehow included.
D, Kodak will drop and it will be closed all together.

I cant help but think in these current times B is what would happen. Unless there might be a company waiting in the wings to step in? Crayola sounds so perfect!!! Can you imagine Imagination with Crayola?? :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom