Keep Your Hands Inside The Boat - Alligators

WelshBatman

Disney removes nuissance gators all the time. I'm not bothered by the gators, you have to get over your fear of gators if you move to Florida. The snakes are what bother me... and this is why, after learning certain things, I will never go back in the Swiss Family tree house. There have also been far more dangerous animals seen in the parks, most before the guests even arrive, such as panthers. The thing to remember is that Reedy Creek is an animal sanctuary and it's all around Disney. There's tons of animals in there that are potentially dangerous to humans including gators and wild hogs, you just have to realize that while they may be there, the odds of you being attacked are so remote that you may as well forget about it. Unless you decide to go swimming in the fresh water, in which case good luck with those amoeba things, or if you decide to go for a walk in the woods, what with rattlesnakes or any of the 6 species of venemous snakes we have in Florida. Heck even going to the ocean in Florida can be hazardous and not just because of the sharks, they've been spotting American Crocodiles on Cocoa Beach these past few years and that's rare.

L Fisher

I just can't see Disney not removing the gators. I'm sure when gators are walking around the resorts that's when Disney removes them. I also think Disney has some type of tracking device on the gators. I mean we’re talking about Disney. They have more gadgets than any company I know of. You can’t tell me Disney doesn’t know how many gators are laying around SM, AL, etc…I’m sure they can’t track all of them and I also bet some of the gators on property have been given names by the people that do track them. Of course I could be wrong.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The snakes are what bother me... and this is why, after learning certain things, I will never go back in the Swiss Family tree house. There have also been far more dangerous animals seen in the parks, most before the guests even arrive, such as panthers.

Am I the only one that wants to know more about both of these statements? What happened up in the Treehouse? And where were there panthers?

WelshBatman

... ok photos exist of maintenence removing a snake that's about 8 feet long from the Swiss Family Treehouse. Now before you get shocked it was a while ago that this happened, however they keep saying the place is full of snakes. Don't let it put you off and no I can't get the picture because it's on a wall and they'd notice it missing... The snakes won't bother you, they just bother me.

The panther story however hasn't been substantiated however according to my source (I won't drop names as I don't want to get anyone in trouble) one morning, and I mean early morning (like 3 or 4 AM), in Frontierland there was a Florida panther roaming around. He just seemed to run around by the train station and disappear. This was also a while ago and as Florida Panthers are endangered and rare to see, I doubt you'd see one anyway especially when the parks are open. But remember that wildlife does exist that Disney just can't control.

And as far as tagging gators... forget about it. You'd like to think Disney does these things but believe me they don't and they won't. It'd be too expensive and they won't spend any money.

Zummi Gummi

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not necessarily nervous, just curious.

Oddly enough, the panther would bother me much less than the snake. I have a somewhat irrational fear of snakes.

BrerFrog

Oddly enough, the panther would bother me much less than the snake. I have a somewhat irrational fear of snakes.

You can always hit a snake with a bat or something to kill it, I don't think that would work very well with a panther. :lol::p

Zummi Gummi

You can always hit a snake with a bat or something to kill it, I don't think that would work very well with a panther. :lol::p

You must not understand! My fear of snakes is irrational- that means if I see one, the last thing I'm going to think of is looking for a bat to destroy it with! :ROFLOL:

_Scar

Hey, I live in Naples! :sohappy:

Do you think they are on Disney property? I never thought about it before. That could be scary.

Yea. In Florida, they're EVERYWHERE where there's water. Be very careful. Even 'pixie dust' can't keep them away.

Heck, there's one in the pond in my backyard only a few dozen feet away from my porch and it's a semi-large one. I have small dogs and a baby in the house and it scares me every day to have one so close.I reported it and in the process of getting it taken away by FWildlife, and I suggest ANYONE who sees a large nuisance alligator to report it.

Ugh, I hate them so much.

disneyrcks

Do you think they are on Disney property? I never thought about it before. That could be scary.

I lived in FL when I was a teen (my dad and stepmom are still there) and at the time they lived about 40 min from disney in a community called Waterford Lakes. WL had a pond that had a running track w/ exercise stations around it and from time to time we would see gators. They were always small and we were told that once they grew beyond 5 feet they get removed. Now this was years ago but I am sure Disney has wildlife experts that do the same. I really do not think they would allow the water sports they offer if there was danger of a big gator chomping your leg off....but just in case I may avoid water activity this trip :( I am terrified of alligators!

sweetpee_1993

We also were told about the wild cat/panther/cougar whatever big kitty things by our Sunrise Safari tour guide back in January this year. His name was Greg & he is the curator of animals at the Animal Kingdom Lodge(s). He has worked with the animal program(s) associated with Animal Kingdom since day 1. He told us there are some on the property, one is known to frequent the perimeter fences of Animal Kingdom. The perimeter fences are to keep unwanted wildlife (such as the big kitty) out in addition to their other obvious purposes.

sbkline

Heck, there's one in the pond in my backyard only a few dozen feet away from my porch and it's a semi-large one. I have small dogs and a baby in the house and it scares me every day to have one so close.I reported it and in the process of getting it taken away by FWildlife, and I suggest ANYONE who sees a large nuisance alligator to report it.

I live in Illinois and we have plenty of rural farmland here and this is one reason why I would prefer to live out in the country. Because I'm just not used to this concept of having to call the authorities for nuisance animals. I'm more used to the concept of just getting out the gun and shooting the darn thing. :ROFLOL:

My Dad lives out in the country and has found skunks right by his front door, and even saw a bobcat or some sort of wild cat, out in the field one time and I guarantee you he didn't "report" it. Of course, I don't know what Florida is like, as far as if there is much open farmland down there or not. But if I lived down there and lived in an area without neighbors, I can tell you I how *I* would get rid of a big gator in my backyard! :animwink::D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I live in Illinois and we have plenty of rural farmland here and this is one reason why I would prefer to live out in the country. Because I'm just not used to this concept of having to call the authorities for nuisance animals. I'm more used to the concept of just getting out the gun and shooting the darn thing. :ROFLOL:

My Dad lives out in the country and has found skunks right by his front door, and even saw a bobcat or some sort of wild cat, out in the field one time and I guarantee you he didn't "report" it. Of course, I don't know what Florida is like, as far as if there is much open farmland down there or not. But if I lived down there and lived in an area without neighbors, I can tell you I how *I* would get rid of a big gator in my backyard! :animwink::D

But wouldn't just shooting it draw even MORE gators to eat the carcass?

I mean what are going to do with it after you shoot it? You really can't "bury" it!

WelshBatman

Not to mention that with the really big ones, shooting it won't help...

it's kinda like Mongo from Blazing Saddles, "If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad." And there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal.

Tiggerfanatic

Not to mention that with the really big ones, shooting it won't help...

it's kinda like Mongo from Blazing Saddles, "If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad." And there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal.

LOKL!! One of Mel's more classic lines, along with my personal favorite "It's good to be the King!"

And as far as what to do with a gator if you shoot it? The same thing we rednecks do with other wildlife that we shoot - we eat it! Then stuff the carcass to display on the coffee table!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LOKL!! One of Mel's more classic lines, along with my personal favorite "It's good to be the King!"

And as far as what to do with a gator if you shoot it? The same thing we rednecks do with other wildlife that we shoot - we eat it! Then stuff the carcass to display on the coffee table!
AKA a large wooden cable spool we pulled off a job site.:D

goofykt

Me too. I can't even stand to see one on TV. I freak out and yell at my DH to change the channel. My husband constantly teases me about it, so I always sarcastically reply "why don't you ask adam and eve how irrational my fear is?"...haha!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom