Just who IS in those costumes? AND are they coached how to act?

My friends, cousin plays Minnie mouse at Disneyland Paris, she is very much female! She also lives in a Disney apartment with Belle, and Ariel - how cool is that? You have to audition for the part, said french Minnie is a professional dancer. You have strict manerisms that you have to learn , but they become so second nature that they slip into your real life! Its an admirable quality to be able to personify those mannerisms whilst wearing a mask. By all accounts Disney is pretty strict on who can play which role, so its not just a case of fitting into the costume. But yes Minnie, Mickey etc can be played by either gender, as long as they have the mannerisms down to a tee. Personally i just hum lalalala and forget its a costume, because of course it really is Mickey mouse !

Hot Lava

I would think that using women also has the added benefit of cutting down on the chances of that person in the suit being a predator. I would assume Disney does background checks, but that isn't foolproof. Not that there are not women who are, but the chances are far lower.

In my mind, no one in this thread has asked the pertinent question. Do they clean those costumes, especially the inside? Or are you in there with every previous person's yuck? And I would guess it is a lot of yuck, given the temps in FL.

This is what I really want to know!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would think that using women also has the added benefit of cutting down on the chances of that person in the suit being a predator. I would assume Disney does background checks, but that isn't foolproof. Not that there are not women who are, but the chances are far lower.

In my mind, no one in this thread has asked the pertinent question. Do they clean those costumes, especially the inside? Or are you in there with every previous person's yuck? And I would guess it is a lot of yuck, given the temps in FL.

You are not allowed to "yuck" inside the outfit...it's part of the training.

Hold your yuck until breaktime!

fngoofy

How in the world could anybody POSSIBLY know what gender the actor is unless they are doing something to the character that they shouldn't be doing?
Well, in the case of Minnie, look at the legs. S/he wears stockings that show the legs. Ala Seinfeld's "man hands", you can spot "man calves."

Disneykidder

Well, in the case of Minnie, look at the legs. S/he wears stockings that show the legs. Ala Seinfeld's "man hands", you can spot "man calves."
Exactly. I was going to post that. When I was there last summer my hubby commented on how large Minnie's calves were. I said it was probably a dude and he was quite upset. Only because the illusion of Minnie is a female, not a male. That and I'm not so sure he would have flirted with a dude.

unkadug

Google "female calves" I think you will be surprised how stereotyping you are being.

Wilt Dasney

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jun/08/business/fi-7876

Click at your own risk, if discussion of a *very* un-magical side of Disney operations might interfere with your enjoyment of the day.

Hot Lava

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jun/08/business/fi-7876

Click at your own risk, if discussion of a *very* un-magical side of Disney operations might interfere with your enjoyment of the day.

:eek: OMG!! That was not even anything that was in my mind! Gross!!! How does that not violate laws?

I was only thinking about the built up sweat and associated stink and bacteria, etc. That sort of thing never entered my mind. And I had no idea that those sort of items would be Disney issued.

The horror! The horror!

Mark In KY

I take the "Shop Steward's" statements with the usual grain of salt. I am of the opinion that Disney was laundering the costumes and "underwear" in the same manner that they launder the towels and bedding in their hotels. I've never left WDW with either "public lice or scabies". But then again I've never been invited to a CM party and gotten jiggy with it. A bunch of college students and young folks hanging at WDW for an internship or summer job; life hasn't changed that much since I was in college.

unkadug

I take the "Shop Steward's" statements with the usual grain of salt. I am of the opinion that Disney was laundering the costumes and "underwear" in the same manner that they launder the towels and bedding in their hotels. I've never left WDW with either "public lice or scabies". But then again I've never been invited to a CM party and gotten jiggy with it. A bunch of college students and young folks hanging at WDW for an internship or summer job; life hasn't changed that much since I was in college.
But do you summarily dismiss the very next line also?

Some workers complained about receiving undergarments that were stained or smelly.​
You are assuming that Disney uses the same facilities to launder the costumes as guest services uses.

That is simply NOT the case.

DebDeb

One of my former students interned lat summer as a character attendant for Goofy. And guess what?Goofy was a girl!! My daughter felt a bit creeped out that all those hugs etc was from a girl!! In her heart Goofy is and will always be a cute boy!!

Black Pearl

Can tell you first hand that not every guest thinks about this "what sex are they" question. I remember having had my pinched by a female and flirted with as "someone" (yes on purpose). They were lucky though as I am a man. Some adult guests really enjoy attempting to find out, which essentially equates to molestation. Please don't. I have had numerous conversations with cast members who have felt outright violated by this. It's not cool or even worth it. A child slipping hands is one thing, but an adult should just know better.

SMS55

The characters are cast by height. Gender plays no part of the process.

Most characters are played by females as the mannerisms that are required of the characters are mostly female. Goofy is played by males because the height that the character requires. Kids that come from abroad as part of the hospitality program are not permitted to play characters with the exception being Goofy because it is difficult to find enough people with the necessary height. This was all shared to me by an ex-girlfriend that was part of the hospitality program several years back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom