Just heard something VERY interesting

Blizz

The problem is that Everest is only one attraction. The park is still only a "half day park" just like the Studios.

DAK has the potential to be a full day park open to guests to 9/10pm like the other parks other then the EMH nights.

I know Epcot still could use some work but its DAK and the Studios backlands section that needs the most work. The Studios are top heavy on the Sunset side of the park and has nothing in the back. Disney is planning an attraction in backlands but from what I have been told its not going to be an E ticket attraction. Other then Nemo at DAK there is nothing planned that I know of that has been announced.

I just feel that DAK and the Studios are not living up to the potential that they could be.

DisneyRoxMySox

Blizz said:
DAK has the potential to be a full day park open to guests to 9/10pm like the other parks other then the EMH nights.

You wold need a lot of attractions to make this possible. As, I'm sure you know, the animals go in early, around 7. At this point, would close down most of the park.

Blizz said:
I just feel that DAK and the Studios are not living up to the potential that they could be.

I agree with you. DAK could use a few more attractions, but I don't think it is too urgent. On the other hand the Studios, does need to expand and another E-ticket is needed, the park is just too on sided. Since the Studio, is no longer a working studio, although I hope it is soon with Pixar and all, the park to me lacks the draw that it once had. I know the average guest could care less if the Studio, is actually working or not, but that's just me.

Blizz

DisneyRoxMySox said:
You wold need a lot of attractions to make this possible. As, I'm sure you know, the animals go in early, around 7. At this point, would close down most of the park.

I agree with you. DAK could use a few more attractions, but I don't think it is too urgent. On the other hand the Studios, does need to expand and another E-ticket is needed, the park is just too on sided. Since the Studio, is no longer a working studio, although I hope it is soon with Pixar and all, the park to me lacks the draw that it once had. I know the average guest could care less if the Studio, is actually working or not, but that's just me.

Sadly, outside of Integrity Arts (I.D.E.A.S.) I don't think you will see much more in the way of production outside of the rare tv show being broadcast from WDW. Most of the production offices have been turned into managers offices, the backlot is gone, and the only working studios have been turned into attraction space. I am sure they still have an insert stage for small things and some composite work.

The Studios needs something but thanks to the lack of space we wont see a whole lot, however they could do something.

DAK has a lot left after the animals go in, they just dont have enough. More sit down restaurants and more Disney-style attractions. Its not coasters that bring people to Disney theme parks. Its the rides that you cant find anywhere else. Thrill attractions like Dinosaur and story telling attractions like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion... These bring a majority of the people. Shows also help but you dont want something like Sea World where its 3 attractions and all shows.

DisneyRoxMySox

Blizz said:
The Studios needs something but thanks to the lack of space we wont see a whole lot, however they could do something..

There isnt anyone room for the DS to be expanded? They could always change the offices back.

:lookaroun

Blizz said:
DAK has a lot left after the animals go in, they just dont have enough. More sit down restaurants and more Disney-style attractions. Its not coasters that bring people to Disney theme parks. Its the rides that you cant find anywhere else. Thrill attractions like Dinosaur and story telling attractions like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion... These bring a majority of the people. Shows also help but you dont want something like Sea World where its 3 attractions and all shows.

I agree, 100%. But, no urgency. They will come in due time.

mayoki

I don't get why WoL would be before JII. In my opinion, WoL was an afterthought anyway, and not that impressive and definately didn't hold up well for repeat visits. It could easily be converted to storage space or something, while JII is a high profile pavilion that needs to be "reimagineered."

Blizz

DisneyRoxMySox said:
There isnt anyone room for the DS to be expanded? They could always change the offices back.

There isn't much room. Roads run all the way around the park limiting the expansion size.

I doubt they will convert them back, but if they had a production company that was interested I am sure they would work with them. Sadly, I also doubt it because Universal Orlando's Production Group offers better space at better rates.

Jerriko

mayoki said:
I don't get why WoL would be before JII. In my opinion, WoL was an afterthought anyway, and not that impressive and definately didn't hold up well for repeat visits. It could easily be converted to storage space or something, while JII is a high profile pavilion that needs to be "reimagineered."

Because WoL is just sitting there doing nothing, while JII actually has something. Albeit not as good as it once was, but it is open and running. best to work on a closed building first rather than a ride that has been "reimagineered" 8 times now... :)

tirian

imagineersrock said:
Believe it or not, attracting people to DAK has not been an issue lately. As far as attendance numbers at the parks go, (thanks mainly to Everest) the recent order has looked a lot like this:

1.) Magic Kingdom
2.) Disney's Animal Kingdom
2.) Epcot
4.) Disney-MGM Studios

With some days DAK even beating out the MK! On top of that, there's the new Asian restaurant and Finding Nemo Musical on the way for Animal Kindom. If you ask me, DAK is in great shape right now and it's the other parks they need to start working on---namely The Disney-MGM Studios.

Where are your numbers coming from? :veryconfu One E-ticket does not make an entire park. Current trends indicate that most Guests are visiting DAK primarily for EE and later park hopping, maintaining other parks' numbers as well. Furthermore, Epcot and DAK regularly experience higher attendance than the MK...on certain days of the week. For example, crowds are nearly always higher at the MK on Mondays, and at Epcot on Tuesdays.

But I do agree with you that the Studios is in fairly bad shape right now. Frankly, my favorite part of the park is Streetmosphere!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Blizz said:
There isn't much room. Roads run all the way around the park limiting the expansion size..

Options for expansion at the Studios;

Behind Indy (expansion area within park perimeter)

Behind Indy (parking lot)

Sunset Blvd (South of Fantasmic!)

Sunset Blvd (west of ToT)

Sunset Blvd (North East of RnRc)

West of World Drive (seriously)

- these are all designated expansion areas, though the World Drive option is a last resort, and was only seriously considered when "Rockin` Rollercoaster" was planned to cross it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
marni1971 said:

- these are all designated expansion areas, though the World Drive option is a last resort, and was only seriously considered when "Rockin` Rollercoaster" was planned to cross it.

And dont forget all those dark attractions, that must account for 40% of existing space:drevil:

DisneyRoxMySox

marni1971 said:

Behind Indy (parking lot).

This seems like the most reasonable choice to me.

marni1971 said:

Sunset Blvd (North East of RnRc).

Let's make it even more top heavy!

marni1971 said:

I like that one more that the Sunsey Blvd. ideas. I would love to see an expansion.

comics101

Jerriko said:
Because WoL is just sitting there doing nothing, while JII actually has something. Albeit not as good as it once was, but it is open and running. best to work on a closed building first rather than a ride that has been "reimagineered" 8 times now... :)

True they need to do something with WoL, but it doesn't seem like that pavillion can get a sponser. JII has a sponser, which means some of the costs would have to be taken off Disney's shoulders, or at least i would think. By the way, does anyone know when Kodak's contract for sponsering JII ends? I would think they'd want to get rid of it if the attraction doesn't get greenlighted!

netenyahoo

The Studios can expand over roads. The road can always go underground or have a bridge over the road.

Downtown Disney at DL has a huge bridge over a road and you would never realize it.

jedimaster1227

netenyahoo said:
The Studios can expand over roads. The road can always go underground or have a bridge over the road.

Downtown Disney at DL has a huge bridge over a road and you would never realize it.

Most parks in Orlando have decided not to expand via bridge due to a crowd flow issues.

Seaworld considered taking a bridge expansion approach when decided between expanding their existing park or building a new one. Ultimately, they chose to build a new one.

Blizz

marni1971 said:

Not sure if you have ever been behind Indy? Its a road and cast services (no room for attractions). Sunset has access areas and required drainage. And World Drive... as you said, last resort, because there is no room there.

The only area is behind backlands beyond costuming. Its a huge parking lot scattered with buildings and service areas. However to get to this, you would need to move a lot.

Roads back there could not go underground. Its not possible the way the park opperates daily, especially if they ever want to work as a studio again.

Now dark attractions... well there are plans for them I am sure, however its not enough room to build a major E-Ticket attraction.

Rosso11

netenyahoo said:

This is very true. A few years a go there was a lot of talk about MGMs LONG TERM plans and what they planned on doing for expansion. At the time the idea was to move the parking across the street and use the existing parking lot for the park. They would build a bridge over the roads for walking and trams. Again this was the LONG TERM plan and I have no idea what it would take for this to actually happen but I'm sure it wont be happening for a very long time, if ever.

LeeLee D

LudwigVonDrake said:
What are the lines like these days for Everest?

MGM needs help...it has become a half day park. I realize the Midway Mania ride is coming (2008ish) but it needs more than one ride. Oh, and NO Meet n' Greets please :(
Hi all,
I'm new - been lurking for awhile - and am glad to know I'm not alone in my love of all things Disney.

What is the Midway Mania Ride?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
LeeLee D said:
Hi all,
I'm new - been lurking for awhile - and am glad to know I'm not alone in my love of all things Disney.

What is the Midway Mania Ride?
Its a rumored attraction going in where Who Wants to be a Millionaire is at Disney Studios. It is supposedly Pixar Character based. (I think Toy Story specifically).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom