Just heard something VERY interesting

LudwigVonDrake

Midway Mania (or whatever they call it) is supposed to be an interactive shooting type ride like Buzz Lightyear, only using newer technology. Allegedly each room will be hosted by a different Toy Story character.

We shall see what happens.....:rolleyes:

BuzzedLightyear

Whatever the case MGM needs help. Oddly my family always spends the most time at this park, but I have never felt like it had the cahrm of the other parks. Things that need to change to make it truly a good Disney park in my opinion:

1) Get rid of the hat - the chinese theater looks awesome at the end of the street.
2) Theme the entrance to Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Right now it's a great ride stuck in a warehouse next to the beautiful Tower. Unfortunately, they can't shut it down to do this type of construction because there are really only 2 E-tickets in the park.
3) Give any theme besides empty studio to the area where Millionaire currently is.
4) Expand on the original Muppet Studios idea - great additions
5) Expand the tram tour with other sets on Par with Catastrophe Canyon

Scar Junior

BuzzedLightyear said:
2) Theme the entrance to Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Right now it's a great ride stuck in a warehouse next to the beautiful Tower. Unfortunately, they can't shut it down to do this type of construction because there are really only 2 E-tickets in the park.

What? Wrong! Obviously you are forgetting Disney Studio's newest, hippest E-ticket attraction, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set. Duh!

jedimaster1227

BuzzedLightyear said:
Whatever the case MGM needs help. Oddly my family always spends the most time at this park, but I have never felt like it had the cahrm of the other parks. Things that need to change to make it truly a good Disney park in my opinion:

1) Get rid of the hat - the chinese theater looks awesome at the end of the street.
3) Give any theme besides empty studio to the area where Millionaire currently is.
4) Expand on the original Muppet Studios idea - great additions
5) Expand the tram tour with other sets on Par with Catastrophe Canyon

The only reason that the hat was placed was to block out the view of the Chinese Theater due to a waning time span of rights to use the theater at the park. For a long time, there have been talks of removing the theater facade (possibly making it look like Disney's own theater, the El Capitan).

nelsonj3

I really liked the Monsters, Inc ride at DCA. I guess to each his own.
I know it was a Pixar movie, but we can't be anti everything pixar.

We are talking about the Laugh Floor, right? There aren't any plans for a Monsters Inc ride at WDW are there?

imagineer boy said:
Some projects got nixed huh? Here's to hoping the Monsters Inc ride got nixed! :lol:

Blizz

Space Mountain said:
Behind the Chinese Theatre is awful..Theres not much of any theming at all.

That is the theme, its the backlot. Sunset, Hollywood Blvd. and Vine Streets are supposed to be movie sets. Then on the other side of backlands you have the streets of america which are also supposed to be sets.

tirian

Sunset, Hollywood Blvd. and Vine Streets are supposed to be movie sets. Then on the other side of backlands you have the streets of america which are also supposed to be sets.

The front of the park is supposed to be REAL Hollywood, circa 1930s and 40s. The back half of the park, which was once a real studio (for a couple of years, anyway :p ), is supposed to look like sets.

I agree with everyone who has complained that this park lacks a great deal of charm. The front half of the park is great, and the back half only feels like a Disney park throughout Christmas, mostly because of the lights. The rest of the year, however, the park feels empty...

...because it is, in a way. Some of you would be shocked to see how much empty space exists in the park. Next time you're on ToT, glance behind the animation courtyard and marvel at the buildings that were once film and animation studios and are now offices. There's plenty of room for attractions if someone has the guts to raze these buildings and build offices elsewhere.

p.s. The areas behind Indiana Jones aren't a good option because they're used for Cast parking, backstage pathways, and a pyrotechnic base (for the show).

comics101

jedimaster1227 said:
The only reason that the hat was placed was to block out the view of the Chinese Theater due to a waning time span of rights to use the theater at the park. For a long time, there have been talks of removing the theater facade (possibly making it look like Disney's own theater, the El Capitan).

What are the chances that it would become the El Capitan?

jedimaster1227

comics101 said:
What are the chances that it would become the El Capitan?

It is still a possibility being that the Studios' icon is basically an over-hyped gift shop. It depends how Iger handles the deal with Sony on trying to renew the rights to the use of MGM properties and the Chinese Manz Theatre.

tirian

Given Disney's recent exclusive commitment to Blu-Ray discs, a Sony product, Disney seems to be doing as much as possible to make Sony happy. At this time, Sony and Disney are the only companies who will not release movies on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

It's interesting to speculate that perhaps this is to improve relations for the MGM name.

nyy102

jedimaster1227 said:
It is still a possibility being that the Studios' icon is basically an over-hyped gift shop. It depends how Iger handles the deal with Sony on trying to renew the rights to the use of MGM properties and the Chinese Manz Theatre.

Well if the GMR is housed in a replica of the Chinese theater or El Capitan, I would like to see the sorceror's hat removed as soon as possible. Even with the change, DMGM was built as a (working) movie studio, and the GMR is a fine tribute to that and the rightful centerpiece of the park. The park was not built as a giant pin emporium, which means the hat should go.

comics101

nyy102 said:
Well if the GMR is housed in a replica of the Chinese theater or El Capitan, I would like to see the sorceror's hat removed as soon as possible. Even with the change, DMGM was built as a (working) movie studio, and the GMR is a fine tribute to that and the rightful centerpiece of the park. The park was not built as a giant pin emporium, which means the hat should go.

not only that but the hat ruins the theme of Hollywood BLVD.

It should BURN!!!:fork:

Slowjack

Blizz said:
That is the theme, its the backlot. Sunset, Hollywood Blvd. and Vine Streets are supposed to be movie sets. Then on the other side of backlands you have the streets of america which are also supposed to be sets.

I'm going to have to call the Millionare area unthemed. When the park first opened guests didn't go down that street--and when they decided to open it to improve flow it happened so fast that the maps they were handing out didn't show the street as open. All they did to "theme" the area was put "studio" signs on buildings that were, in fact, studios. It's themed in the same way that, say, California Screamin' is themed, only in the narrowest sense.

nelsonj3

I completely agree about the Sorcerer's Hat needing to go. However, I wouldn't mind it if it were somewhere else that didn't block something important. On its own, the Hat in and of itself isn't bad. It's the fact that it blocks the Chinese Theater that makes it bad.

Also, as much as most people hate the Epcot "Wand," at least it doesn't actaully block the view of SSE like the Hat blocks the Chinese Theater. Although, I'd still like to see the wand go. Honestly... none of the other parks have big sparkly signs on their landmarks telling you what park it is. I know the wand was put up for the Millenium Celebration, but I, like everyone else was expecting it to come down after the celebration was over.

Oh well... at least they didn't leave Cinderella's Castle as a birthday cake!!! :hammer:

gsimpson

The wand is better than the Hat

At least the Wand doesn't make Epcot's icon into a trinket shop. Making the park's icon into a "shopping opportunity" is just plain tacky. I agree that the hat should blow away... at least to another location, as a previous poster stated it is interesting on its own.

Personally I don't mind the wand, I could take it or leave it. When you look at how they constructed it it appears fairly apparent they intended for it to be around for a while.... most bridges would be lucky to have that much well designed steel support and cross support.

Scar Junior

jedimaster1227 said:

A Rennovation would be great, IMHO. I think it would go well with the DS 20the in 2009. As the icon, it would give a new personality to a newly rennovated park.

Although, the beauty of the El Capitan theatre is only on the inside. Yes, the marquee is great too, but I don't know if they would want to base the icon on such a typical old 'downtown' building.

Take a look at the outside:

el%20capitan%20theater.jpg

elcapitan.jpg

usca35506.jpeg

EDIT: Thus, I like the idea of giving the icon a facelift. I am just confused how they would make it the El Capitan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom