Just heard something VERY interesting

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
~LeeLee~ said:
Hi Hakuna!:wave: A Hot dog? I am so confused... I have to take the EPCOT tour to find out about the hat at MGM? I believe you, just want to clarify you didn't mis-post or something.
Walt used to have a dog that would not pay much attention to him when he got home. So Walt would take a hot dog and entice the dog to follow him. He used the same concept in the MK, i.e., the Castle. It was used to draw people into the park once they got through the gates.

Magic Kingdom hot dog = Castle
Studios Hot Dog = Hat
DAK Hot Dog = Big Tree
Epcot Hot Dog = Space Ship Earth (although at the front of the park, and therefore the most ridden attraction at WDW.)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Tahu said:
But they did have something, the Earful Tower(water tower with Mouse Ears). Trouble was that it's further back in the park.
If I remember correctly, it was/is back in the backlot area and on edge of the bounderies of the Studios. It was not centralized enough and honestly, didnt look good on a tshirt....

jedimaster1227

Scar Junior said:
Now that's a much better idea. I was going to ask if they might do something like that in my last post but thought it was long enough! :D

Disney has also considered changing the entrace to be themed to another famous Hollywood theater- The Kodak.

CaptainMichael

POOHKILLEDTOAD said:
So what's the official reason they stopped using the earful tower as DMGM's "icon"?
It wasn't a centralized, attention-grabbing object. If you don't take the backlot tour, chances are you won't see it. You can't miss the Sorceror's Hat, SSE, or CC.

Lee

Adventurer
STR8FAN2005 said:
Care to elaborate?
They never did really own the likeness of the theatre for promotional purposes. So...when guests and some media began to associate the theatre as the icon of the park...there was an issue. Disney wanted to put in an icon for the park of their choosing, and hopefully prevent guests from association the theatre with the park as much.
Confused? I kinda am...:lol:

CaptainMichael

Lee said:
They never did really own the likeness of the theatre for promotional purposes. So...when guests and some media began to associate the theatre as the icon of the park...there was an issue. Disney wanted to put in an icon for the park of their choosing, and hopefully prevent guests from association the theatre with the park as much.
Confused? I kinda am...:lol:
Interesting...you'd think that would have been taken care of before the built it...

Confused? You bet I am.

Can we just demolish everything but Sunset Blvd and start over???:lookaroun

comics101

nyy102 said:
When I said "just on the other side of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and Hollywood Hills Amphitheater", I was trying to imply placing the hat somewhere outside of the park boundaries, not in front of ToT. I do realize that they would never do that, but I think they should just throw it in the parking lot somewhere and let the masses destroy it.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I like the idea of sticking it in front of the park, but what if instead of sticking ontop of the gates walking under it, you just stick right outside the gates, so before you walk in you can trade pins or whatever you wanna do. I don't know that they'd do that, but...

CoffeeJedi

guys, lol, the term isn't "hot dog"
it's "weenie" :lol:
i know, i know... they mean the same thing... but the technical Disney Imagineering term is "weenie"

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
CoffeeJedi said:
guys, lol, the term isn't "hot dog"
it's "weenie" :lol:
i know, i know... they mean the same thing... but the technical Disney Imagineering term is "weenie"
Yes, I know, but there are not as many perverted conotations of hot dog....:lookaroun

jedimaster1227

STR8FAN2005 said:
Interesting...you'd think that would have been taken care of before the built it...

Confused? You bet I am.

Can we just demolish everything but Sunset Blvd and start over???:lookaroun

Taking care of that would have cost too much money for the already ":animwink:expensive:animwink:" park being opened.

The Mak

hakunamatata said:
Yes, I know, but there are not as many perverted conotations of hot dog....:lookaroun

I diagree.

Furthermore, the park icons aren't the only weenies in WDW:

MK: Castle draws you to hub. From the hub, Tiki Room in Adventureland and Rockettower plaza/star jets in Tomorrowland. 20k used to be Fantasyland's weenie (from tomorrowland). Splash is Frontierland's weenie (from adventureland and Liberty Square). Mansion is Liberty Square's weenie (from frontierland).

Epcot: SSE from the entrance (and, well, everywhere else). Fountain of Nations from SSE's breezeways. Space and The Land from the Fountain of Nations (seen through Communicore's breezeways). World Showcase, anchored by American Adventure, is its own weenie as Epcot is a relatively uncluttered park.

MGM: Sorcerer's Hat from Entrance. Tower from Sorcerer's Hat.

AK: Tree of Life and Everest. Foliage everywhere and the claustrophobic nature of the park prevents a lot of weenie opportunities.

Feel free to add on to my list. I think I'm forgetting a couple.

HokieDevil

I would agree that they need to start over on Disney Studios, yeah the "hidden mickey" that makes up the area around the theater is cute but come on I don't think there was as much planning in the studios esp in regards to traffic flow that the other parks have. The walkways seem to meander around with little sense. I prefer the MK design with all the lands radiating from a central point. Ohhh well. I guess it is too late to start over...

Ashitaka

STR8FAN2005 said:
Good, I'll be there tomorrow night after the park closes with the bulldozer.
Maybe we can get the seven dwarves with their pickaxes to join you.

That park's layout never really made much sense. Someone get the clapper and yell, "Take 2"!

nyy102

I think that, in designing MGM, they honestly thought it would be a good idea to make it as close to the layout of a movie studio as possible. This includes walkways that don't go anywhere and basically creating a giant maze out of everything, which is fine is you are shotting a bunch of different movies, to maximize space for the sets, but just creates problems in a theme park where masses of people need to be able to move

wickedfan07

STR8FAN2005 said:
Good, I'll be there tomorrow night after the park closes with the bulldozer.

Ok. What's the first thing to go down?

Some restructuring would be good in the Studios. Maybe the focus should be taken off just movies, and be placed more on entertainment as a whole. Disney has its hand in theatrical productions, why not bring that theme to Florida?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom