Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Moana has constantly been among the highest streaming movies every single week. Not on just Disney+ on any streamer including Netflix. It’s pretty much the most popular Disney animated feature of the past 15 years or so after Frozen.
Short point: Moana is very popular and has staying power. It’s not going anywhere
We will see in 5 years.
For perspective Tiger King racked up more streamed minutes than both Moana and Mando, you think that will matter in 5 years?

Skywise

haha not what i meant (i was more thinking PC), but its one of the few disney movies ive never seen and ive never felt inclined to as well so maybe your answer was the correct one :)
:D - It was one of the first Disney movies I never saw in the theaters nor had an inclination to at the time (partially because I was overworked at the time and didn't have the free time) but when I did get to finally see it, it was about what I expected. Not bad but nothing remarkable - kind of like Tarzan which was out around the same time. Treasure Planet...

James Alucobond

It's the inherent problem with IP insertion, especially ones that don't have lasting power, Because in 3-5 years, will anyone care about a mediocre IP such as Moana? I mean you can force feed it to guests, but that won't make them have any attachment to it or care about it.
"Brought to you by Moana" will probably have more staying power than "brought to you by Exxon-Mobile".

monothingie

Premium Member
In 2020 it was a 4-year old movie that was the second most streamed on D+ behind the brand new Frozen 2. Yes, I think it is a heavy hitter and quite popular.
Fantastic! See how it does in 5 years when several new shiny things come out from Mr. Mouse to entertain the masses.

doctornick

Far to the side. In Animal Kingdom. As a tertiary attraction in an Oceania land.

I absolutely agree that if they were building an Oceana area in DAK that this would be a potentially great fit. But as is, assuming that the walk through actually does illustrate "the journey of water" as has been indicated in the press releases from Disney, then it still seems to me to be an okay fit for Epcot as a kinda pre-show/entranceway for Seas. Moana had a strong undercurrent about people's relationship with the sea which strikes me as a Epcot and Living Seas vibe.

Obviously execution matters. but if this is a good looking walk through with an education message that uses Moana and company to inform rather than just sell plastic toys, then I'm excited for it. Yes, that's a lot of "ifs" but the concept art and what they've said about it seems like that's what we are getting. I actually think the greenery and water is something that will benefit Epcot and help differentiate "World Nature" from the east side "World Discovery".

I know people are salty about the loss of Communicore West and the lack of symmetry. I get it. but I also think that's really coloring people's objective assessment of this "attraction".

As an aside, I'm happy to see them put some effort into smaller diversions and just just what they perceive as big draws. The biggest thing that new builds have been lacking is the complimentary attractions that fill out areas (I'm looking firmly at you Pandora and Galaxy's Edge).

monothingie

Premium Member
At least the build will be done with no expectation that someone else will care for it, enabling it to languish for nearly two decades.
Ohhh right because that doesn’t happen to any IP based attraction at WDW….
stitch GIF

BrianLo

We will see in 5 years.
For perspective Tiger King racked up more streamed minutes than both Moana and Mando, you think that will matter in 5 years?

Moana IS a 5 year old film. If Frozen is a Lion King equivalent, Moana is certainly an Aladdin or Little Mermaid in terms of staying power.

I really think you are underestimating how popular this film still is.

doctornick

Moana IS a 5 year old film. If Frozen is a Lion King equivalent, Moana is certainly an Aladdin or Little Mermaid in terms of staying power.

I really think you are underestimating how popular this film still is.
This. I was totally going to say that I would expect Moana to be as popular in (say) 20-30 years as The Little Mermaid is right now. It's definitely a keeper.

I'll also point out that despite having a "princess" as the lead, it's a film that is gender neutral in terms of its appeal. Especially with Maui being a great and funny second character.

James Alucobond

Ohhh right because that doesn’t happen to any IP based attraction at WDW….
I said "expectation". Obviously, negligence happens, but it seems to have happened on a wider scale than anywhere else at EPCOT due to the supposition that corporate (or national, in the case of World Showcase) sponsors would always be around to fix things. At least IP sponsorship carries no delusions of being able to wash their hands of all responsibility.

Soluna16

The amount of people in this thread who can't let others have something they could potentially enjoy is so sad to see. Everything has to be shoved aside because "I don't like Moana" but "I loved the empty buildings that used to be there."

"Someone has to." when someone else states that they like it. The self-righteousness if off the charts. Not everything in the world revolves around 2 people's opinions on this site.

Moana is a wonderful movie and clearly has long term appeal and the last three pages on here make it seems like it's some random 20 minute clip they pulled out of a box somewhere.

The Aracuan Bird

I absolutely agree that if they were building an Oceana area in DAK that this would be a potentially great fit. But as is, assuming that the walk through actually does illustrate "the journey of water" as has been indicated in the press releases from Disney, then it still seems to me to be an okay fit for Epcot as a kinda pre-show/entranceway for Seas. Moana had a strong undercurrent about people's relationship with the sea which strikes me as a Epcot and Living Seas vibe.

Obviously execution matters. but if this is a good looking walk through with an education message that uses Moana and company to inform rather than just sell plastic toys, then I'm excited for it. Yes, that's a lot of "ifs" but the concept art and what they've said about it seems like that's what we are getting. I actually think the greenery and water is something that will benefit Epcot and help differentiate "World Nature" from the east side "World Discovery".

I know people are salty about the loss of Communicore West and the lack of symmetry. I get it. but I also think that's really coloring people's objective assessment of this "attraction".

As an aside, I'm happy to see them put some effort into smaller diversions and just just what they perceive as big draws. The biggest thing that new builds have been lacking is the complimentary attractions that fill out areas (I'm looking firmly at you Pandora and Galaxy's Edge).
So why not add an attraction to the Living Seas? Why spend money tearing down a building to throw a fountain play area down with so little attention paid to layout?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom