Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

TikibirdLand

I absolutely agree that if they were building an Oceana area in DAK that this would be a potentially great fit. But as is, assuming that the walk through actually does illustrate "the journey of water" as has been indicated in the press releases from Disney, then it still seems to me to be an okay fit for Epcot as a kinda pre-show/entranceway for Seas. Moana had a strong undercurrent about people's relationship with the sea which strikes me as a Epcot and Living Seas vibe.

Obviously execution matters. but if this is a good looking walk through with an education message that uses Moana and company to inform rather than just sell plastic toys, then I'm excited for it. Yes, that's a lot of "ifs" but the concept art and what they've said about it seems like that's what we are getting. I actually think the greenery and water is something that will benefit Epcot and help differentiate "World Nature" from the east side "World Discovery".

I know people are salty about the loss of Communicore West and the lack of symmetry. I get it. but I also think that's really coloring people's objective assessment of this "attraction".

As an aside, I'm happy to see them put some effort into smaller diversions and just just what they perceive as big draws. The biggest thing that new builds have been lacking is the complimentary attractions that fill out areas (I'm looking firmly at you Pandora and Galaxy's Edge).
IMO, the point here is that we already had an incredible centerpiece to FW in the Fountain of Nations. It had movement. It had a story. Pull it and Communicore wasn't needed. What was needed, was some imagination on what to do with Communicore. As I mentioned earlier, there was plenty of room for a dark ride. Even as left as-is, there was room for a splashpad type of attraction that JoW will be for most. Now, FW looks unbalanced. Very disappointed to see EPCoT's direction. But, it won't matter; the crowds will come; money will be made. No one will remember the things they lost.

Phicinfan

While some are complaining because they don’t like the movie, it’s not the main issue. It’s the placement, and not JUST the park they chose, but the exact plot of land they chose. Right smack dab in the middle of everything for no rhyme or reason.

And I’d also argue that it was a poor choice of attraction type too. If the movie does have the staying power of the most classic Disney films, many are going to complain that it’s JUST a walk through and not a ride. People want rides, that’s why they pay the big bucks. I walk through exhibit is an extra, not the main selling point. It’s just bizarre to me how they wasted the two biggest recent IPs on smaller attractions. I think I’ll personally enjoy it, but it seems like a lack of methodical planning.
I know I won't win an argument with many here that it does not fit. And until I actually see what is built it isn't worth a major fight.

However, if you understand Moana, and how it's theme is to respect nature and enjoy it, I get @marni1971 view of it would fit better in AK, but isn't learning about nature and focusing on the eco culture a fit in edjutainment as well? Not everything in EPCOT has to be technology. Now, put this in front of the weather pavilion we have always wanted....and you are talking....

Creathir

Plus we all know how good Disney is at updating stale IP based attractions.
Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF
I’ll never forgive them for removing Alien Encounter… that ride was perfection…

Creathir

We will see in 5 years.
For perspective Tiger King racked up more streamed minutes than both Moana and Mando, you think that will matter in 5 years?
Now THAT would be an interesting bit of IP to insert into the parks… a dark ride telling the story… the Carole Baskin murder scene will be lit

Movielover

Creathir

View attachment 561391

Well... Not "officially"! ;)

100%^. I will always regret being a cry baby and forcing my parents to take me out of the building during the pre-show... granted I was like 5 at the time but still.
It definitely was not something a 5 year old should have been on… good on your parents for doing so. Lol

But a few years older, absolutely would have been fine. My brother was about 8 when we went on it.

He screamed so much he literally was screaming and nothing was coming out. Just perfect horror theater, like a fantastic haunted house at Halloween.

Movielover

It definitely was not something a 5 year old should have been on… good on your parents for doing so. Lol

But a few years older, absolutely would have been fine. My brother was about 8 when we went on it.

He screamed so much he literally was screaming and nothing was coming out. Just perfect horror theater, like a fantastic haunted house at Halloween.
I may have been 6, kind of hard to remember, but my parents were always forcing new experiences on me when I was younger. That's how I became such a big fan of rollercoasters. I can't recall what age I was but my very first rollercoaster was Big Thunder. Parents said I was struggling so much not to go on but afterwards that's all I wanted to do. Soon after that my first coaster with inversions was Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood. Again practically petrified to ride but after a little "encouragement" from the folks I faced my fears and became a thrill seeker ever since.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know I won't win an argument with many here that it does not fit. And until I actually see what is built it isn't worth a major fight.

However, if you understand Moana, and how it's theme is to respect nature and enjoy it, I get @marni1971 view of it would fit better in AK, but isn't learning about nature and focusing on the eco culture a fit in edjutainment as well? Not everything in EPCOT has to be technology. Now, put this in front of the weather pavilion we have always wanted....and you are talking....
It’s certainly not worth removing a perfectly serviceable building that was full of potential with the other space available.

IP inclusion notwithstanding.

Bocabear

Hmmm if only there was a park that was all about respecting nature....
Nah, EPCOT Future World is perfect for a Polynesian-themed Leapfrog fountain water play area...
Perfect fit!
OMG it could not be more off brand... It doesn't fit the theme of "World Celebration" or "Dreamers Point" or whatever stupid name they chose for the area...nor does it fit the theme of Nemo and Friends Aquarium....

The Great Gonzo

Nah, EPCOT Future World is perfect for a Polynesian-themed Leapfrog fountain water play area...
Perfect fit!
OMG it could not be more off brand... It doesn't fit the theme of "World Celebration" or "Dreamers Point" or whatever stupid name they chose for the area...nor does it fit the theme of Nemo and Friends Aquarium....

I agree completely, it should have gone to Adventureland or at the very least Animal Kingdom. It makes no sense in Epcot.

I think they just wanted to have it in Harmonious, so they are shoehorning it into the park.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Perfect fit!
The Water Cycle is a staple of fifth grade earth science.

Edutainment.

jmmc

I assume this argument has been going on for longer than I care to scroll back. BUT I'm on the side of seeing how this can fit in with the area. The area between and leading into The Land and The Seas seems like a fine place for something dedicated to nature and water. It may even play into it more than having large expanses of concrete surrounding pavilions teaching us about nature.

Bocabear

It is just so very random... The whole destruction of EPCOT seems so very random...
It is unfortunate...especially as the parks get more and more crowded, EPCOT is the one park that was designed to handle massive crowds ...It just needs more attractions...
Tearing down buildings and adding a water play area is NOT adding attractions...
I have not seen anything that makes me think this Journey Of Water is going to be any more than some fountains and things you walk past on your way somewhere else...
Next they will call the restrooms an attraction..."Journey Of Hygiene"...
But I guess the old "Disney Is A Business" argument can be used...Less attractions, Less maintenance, higher gate prices....
Much like not adding attractions for decades, this too will eventually catch up to them.

doctornick

The Water Cycle is a staple of fifth grade earth science.

Edutainment.
Not to mention that Moana the movie had an underlying theme of man’s mastery of traveling on the ocean and exploring. IOW it was more about human achievement in terms of “taming” nature than about nature itself. That strikes me as a very Epcot-ish theme perfectly in line with the ideas behind the Land and the Seas and World Nature.

I don’t know how much JoW will talk about ocean exploration but it would certainly be a story treatment in line with a pre show for the Seas.

DreamfinderGuy

It's part of World Nature. No longer officially zoned as part of the plaza. I know it seems like it was haphazardly thrown together to justify it's own existence, much like Guardians and World Discovery, but....you know I don't know how to finish that sentence.

FigmentFan82

Love Moana. Don't like the idea of Moana IP insertion in Epcot, but I'll be OK with it if the Moana references are as limited and as subtle as the art suggests (Heart of Te Fiti symbol or whatever that is). Hopefully there aren't Moana signs or a statue of Hei Hei or something absurd like that.
Here's the thing that I think many are overlooking. The name of the attraction is "Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana" I think that is very telling that there will not be in your face IP inclusion. If they called it "Moana's Journey of Water" then I would expect something more heavy handed, but I do truly feel like this attraction is simply taking aesthetic cues from the film and not full on character imagery etc. The new Poly rooms are more IP than this will be IMHO

The Aracuan Bird

It doesn’t really matter if it’s edutainment or not. The question is, will this entice people to come visit the park? Will it increase capacity? Will it fix Epcot’s two decade long problem of the lack of quality things to do at the park? Was it worth spending the money to tear down a large building that could have been repurposed for something else?

If you’re a huge Moana fan, maybe the answer to the first question is yes. But if the Moana influence is light in order to “fit” Epcot, my big question is: why waste it here when you could’ve gone full out with a ride in Adventureland?

Epcot’s not really in a place where it can just lose a building in place of a “nice to have” little attraction. It’s missing fundamental necessities to make it a great park. Replace/refresh the lacking attractions that are taking a large amount of space, and add small attractions in the empty space.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to mention that Moana the movie had an underlying theme of man’s mastery of traveling on the ocean and exploring. IOW it was more about human achievement in terms of “taming” nature than about nature itself. That strikes me as a very Epcot-ish theme perfectly in line with the ideas behind the Land and the Seas and World Nature.

I don’t know how much JoW will talk about ocean exploration but it would certainly be a story treatment in line with a pre show for the Seas.

Indeed,

Plus, as I've mentioned a while ago, as nicely themed is the architecture of each pavilion, the landscaping leading up to them is rather generic and very office-park-looking.

Journey of Water, if they bring it right up to the Seas pavilion, will provide a very appropriately thematic landscaping for that pavilion.

Yes, part of Communicore had to give up its life to make that happen, but, IMO, the outside of Communicore is also very office-park-looking, so, I'm not weeping for that loss (better use of financial resources notwithstanding).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom