Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It will add a natural area to the concrete expanse formerly known as Future World,
Yes they had that in 1982. They ruined it in 1994. They further ruined it in 2019.
DbuZNBvanknVkfT-800x450-noPad.jpg

monothingie

Premium Member
Do you dislike this attraction because of:
A) the demolition of Innoventions West to make room for it?
B) the use of Moana?
C) the interactive water cycle concept itself?
D) All of the above

Just trying to understand why people are so strongly against this one.
Because it is a step down from what was previously there.

Yes they had that in 1982. They ruined it in 1994. They further ruined it in 2019.
DbuZNBvanknVkfT-800x450-noPad.jpg
Yes I’m aware of the trees and lakes that were bulldozed in ‘94. I see Journey of Water as a way of bringing back some of the natural feel that Epcot ‘94 destroyed.

I’m sympathetic to the argument that Communicore should have remained intact. But I don’t understand the people who are opposed to Journey of Water based on the trees and fountains and water features themselves. Future World has needed more of that natural beauty for decades. 🤷‍♂️

DreamfinderGuy

What are you talking about and why did you quote me? That has nothing to do with my point or what I was saying. Don't push your narrative on my words. If you want to bring up a discussion about the IP's inclusion with the project as a shrewd way to push Moana merch, by all means do so, but don't include my words in it, as I was not talking at all about that.
My apologies. I was trying to leverage off of your experience to enunciate the point that unthemed fountains, regardless of the guest impact they have (particularly on the kiddos) seemingly aren't viewed as enough, and I believe the ability to monetize the concept is one of the contributing factors towards this being greenlit. Didn't mean to come across as trying to belittle you or anything.

The Aracuan Bird

B) the use of Moana?
D) All of the above

A) Yes. Huge waste of money that could have been used on improving Imagination, or Mission Space, or any of the lacking ride lineup.
B) Yes. But mostly because the IP fits Adventureland so well, and there probably won’t be another new IP that fits the land better. Could have made for a good additional attraction in Magic Kingdom.
C) No
D) No

trainplane3

B) the use of Moana?
D) All of the above

If they wanted to make something Moana and have it be worthwhile, there should've been a dark ride placed within the southern half of West. The building is huge, it could easily house a ride the size of a Fantasyland style ride.

We're getting a walkway with water and lights. Like, they could've easily done better. Also, less cover from storms that the old CC west buildings gave us.

monothingie

Premium Member
I’m sympathetic to the argument that Communicore should have remained intact. But I don’t understand the people who are opposed to Journey of Water based on the trees and fountains and water features themselves. Future World has needed more of that natural beauty for decades. 🤷‍♂️
It's the inherent problem with IP insertion, especially ones that don't have lasting power, Because in 3-5 years, will anyone care about a mediocre IP such as Moana? I mean you can force feed it to guests, but that won't make them have any attachment to it or care about it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's the inherent problem with IP insertion, especially ones that don't have lasting power, Because in 3-5 years, will anyone care about a mediocre IP such as Moana? I mean you can force feed it to guests, but that won't make them have any attachment to it or care about it.
If it were in a more suitable area, like DAK, at least it’d still fit even if no one knew what it was based on.

monothingie

Premium Member
Plus we all know how good Disney is at updating stale IP based attractions.
Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF

FigmentFan82

My apologies. I was trying to leverage off of your experience to enunciate the point that unthemed fountains, regardless of the guest impact they have (particularly on the kiddos) seemingly aren't viewed as enough, and I believe the ability to monetize the concept is one of the contributing factors towards this being greenlit. Didn't mean to come across as trying to belittle you or anything.
Sorry for my brashness, as I understand no ill intent was meant. I just wanted to share a personal story that shows how we as adults can get lost in the weeds with these things to the point of rather rude ridicule (not you, another poster), while in reality kids will be able to find great enjoyment and create wonderful memories from it. Which is again why I pointed out that I too wish other paths had been taken instead of these attractions. There's plenty from my childhood that are no longer there in WDW. I can't change the direction of the company, only hope that my kids will find joy in what's there.

J4546

I think a walk through attraction about the journey of water fits at epcot very well, especially right in front of the land/seas pavilions. Its gonna be a great addition imo. I hope they incorporate those musical fountains like at treasure cove!

AshaNeOmah

Moana's probably my favorite Disney Animation Studios film in the last 20 years, maybe since Aladdin/Lion King..

I also like it because they're not going to get a sequel out of it, I bet. I always like not topping pigs with more pigs.

trainplane3

Remember when that huge point was made at D23 that guests want "more shade" and literally all that ever came from that was a canopy over Slinky Dog Dash? And here we are taking down a massive enclosure for IP fountains.
Not only more shade, but less storm cover.
I think everyone wants more shade in FW but no one on the team realized how much cover the buildings gave. It's extremely disappointing. It feels like it was designed in California before anyone spent a week in Florida.

You could've done neat things with those buildings by keeping a side feeling FW but the other side integrating into nature. I guess that would've been too interesting and exciting though.

doctornick

Moana has constantly been among the highest streaming movies every single week. Not on just Disney+ on any streamer including Netflix. It’s pretty much the most popular Disney animated feature of the past 15 years or so after Frozen.

Short point: Moana is very popular and has staying power. It’s not going anywhere. That doesn't mean that it should be used in Epcot (though I'm on the side that things this is an okay-ish use of IP for that park) but "mediocre" is not a way I would describe the IP.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

Moana's probably my favorite Disney Animation Studios film in the last 20 years, maybe since Aladdin/Lion King..

I also like it because they're not going to get a sequel out of it, I bet. I always like not topping pigs with more pigs.
I love Moana too. I think it's a wonderful and beautiful film. Also...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom