Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Epcot82Guy

They let the park become so stale with ugly-1990s aesthetics and big dead spaces that I think most will find the new spaces more aesthetically appealing than what was there before.

Whether all of this moves the needle for the park is another issue. Honestly, this is reading as another bandaid solution that cost way too much and took far too long than as a serious rethinking of the park. There's little new of substance after all this work and plenty of the old stale attractions like Nemo and the whole Imagination pavilion still wheezing away in the background.

Agreed. It will have some impact and some fans. But comparing what they did to what they could have done (both physically and story-wise), it's tough to argue this as an objective success. And it will do little to fix the issues in 5 years, let alone 10 - if I'm betting on how things look at the park at those times.

Bocabear

They let the park become so stale with ugly-1990s aesthetics and big dead spaces that I think most will find the new spaces more aesthetically appealing than what was there before.

Whether all of this moves the needle for the park is another issue. Honestly, this is reading as another bandaid solution that cost way too much and took far too long than as a serious rethinking of the park. There's little new of substance after all this work and plenty of the old stale attractions like Nemo and the whole Imagination pavilion still wheezing away in the background.
This exactly. EPCOT was always my favorite park for so many reasons... I understand and agree that the changes in the 90s went way past their expiration point and by 2000' they should have begun a serious reimagination of the front half of the park without tearing down buildings... At that point I believe it could have happened... Expanded greenspaces, re-landscaping the front to more closely resemble Futureworld's 1982 look when there was water and green everywhere... If they had effectively added attractions to the communicore buildings after the original attractions closed....instead of innoventions, there would never have been a reason to raze that portion of the central core...Wonders Of Life could have grown and changed rather than left to languish like so many of the other attractions. How they got to the point where they would only upgrade or enhance an attraction if a new sponsor came in seems crazy.
EPCOT always set themselves apart with aspirational and inspirational messages about what the world could be, who WE could be as a part of that world... now it has devolved into cartoon marketing trailers with fireworks on tacos in the lagoon...
I guess that is what people want...though part of me holds onto the hope that there are still people out there that get what it was and maybe some of them will help steer this park into the future...to bring back the wonder and awesomeness that was EPCOT

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does something like this need an almost month-long cast member preview? It's water. Turn on the hose, let it journey.
Previously, CM, DVCers, APers were complaining that there weren't enough perks. Now, it seems it's policy for WDW to give them all plenty of time for first dibs on new attractions.

It also helps OPs smooth out kinks with the type of guests who 'get it.'

Bocabear

preview and invited guest runs are crucial... making sure it's absolutely right and knowing how to judge crowd reaction and experience time is everything....so yeah it is important...I think anyway...nothing worse than having to handle crowds when it is not yet known how the majority of people will react....where the stopping points are, how to keep people moving etc....

solidyne

looks pretty cool with the mist

View attachment 729408
The mist adds something special to the attraction entry. Pleasantly surprised.
[...]
[...] And, I'll be very interested to see how long the interactive elements in JoW hold up over time. Based on Pandora, various interactive queues, etc., I have my concerns.
The misting looks really good! Now please, please, PLEASE donโ€™t turn it off and disconnect the effect within a year.
Yeah, I give the mist six months.

Bocabear

Is there a pool (no pun intended) on how long this effect lasts? Iโ€™ll takeโ€ฆeight months!
Well, let's hope for the best..... It's here now....might as well try to find the good in it... lol And since we only got this and the central core mess for the whole revitilization of EPCOT, it should be astounding.....

Disstevefan1

They already got the Moana themed cornhole ready for when it breaks down:
1689081802651.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ummm... there are misters all over the parks as cooling stations.

I'm well aware of misters around the parks. They're also out in the open, where the mist can dissipate quickly (or condense onto nearby surfaces). This will be somewhat enclosed in the "walkthrough experience". So like I said - if this mist doesn't move, you'll have the sunlight on it and during the hotter Florida months... ugh. I'm sure the crack Imagineering staff, lead by THEZACH, took that into consideration during the planning and design phases of the project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom