Journey Into Imagination 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedimaster1227

Lewis Carroll said:
Couldnt they extend into the back of the skyway station too?

I wouldn't be suprised. Imagineers have always worked wonders with space constraints. They did the same thing with Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios, FL (extended the back of the building but used the pre-existing structure to house the ride).

Lee

Adventurer
jedimaster1227 said:
They could always put a meet and greet there! :lol:
Considering the ginormous traffic jam in that area, I don't see anything much happening in that spot. Not when the whole 20k area is empty.

They did the same thing with Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios, FL (extended the back of the building but used the pre-existing structure to house the ride).
Sure about that? I was fairly certain the just used the existing Kong structure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lee said:
Nah...still wouldn't be enough room for a reasonably-sized dark ride.

Indeed, considering between the station and IASW is the only backstage vehicle gate for Fantasyland and Liberty Square.

Unless of course they do finish the Matterhorn behind IASW and have the station the entrance area - this could tie in nicely with the expanded Utilidors, moved Utilidor entrance and the Villan Mountain.

Sorry. Couldn`t resist :D

Technically there is the floor space for a ride the size of Peter Pan, but figure in crowd flow, queue, infrastructure and theming the backside to fit into the berm to the east of the HM it`d be suicidal for the Liberty Square / Fantasyland border if the station became any sort of crowd puller. Sadly.

BTW; Lee - you have mail :wave:

jedimaster1227

Lee said:
Sure about that? I was fairly certain the just used the existing Kong structure.

I believe so. When I was on the backlot a couple of months ago, I saw a small expansion to the building in the back the had some extra parts for the ride vehicles. Did you know that we are getting the "Rat Tail" effect in the cars soon?

Sorry, back on topic. There probably isn't enough space for a dark ride but there would be for a ride like DCA's Maliboomer! It could be Tinkerbell themed. "Fly with Tinkerbell!"

yensidtlaw1969

Lee said:
Nah...still wouldn't be enough room for a reasonably-sized dark ride.
Not even if they pulled an Alice (as in DL's) and made it 2 stories (I mean floors, ofcourse, not stories in the sense of what you would traditionally find in Fantasyland . . . you know what I mean)?

Yensid "So is the plan for now just to have the building sit there and look pretty?" tlaw1969

sniggle74

marni1971 said:
Indeed, considering between the station and IASW is the only backstage vehicle gate for Fantasyland and Liberty Square.

Unless of course they do finish the Matterhorn behind IASW and have the station the entrance area - this could tie in nicely with the expanded Utilidors, moved Utilidor entrance and the Villan Mountain.

Technically there is the floor space for a ride the size of Peter Pan, but figure in crowd flow, queue, infrastructure and theming the backside to fit into the berm to the east of the HM it`d be suicidal for the Liberty Square / Fantasyland border if the station became any sort of crowd puller. Sadly.

OK Marni - that response was just pure evil (sprinkled with a ton of wishful thinking and hopeful dreams).

;)

jedimaster1227

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Not even if they pulled an Alice (as in DL's) and made it 2 stories (I mean floors, ofcourse, not stories in the sense of what you would traditionally find in Fantasyland . . . you know what I mean)?

Yensid "So is the plan for now just to have the building sit there and look pretty?" tlaw1969

Actually, I heard that Alice is a pretty good attraction, and if it fit, it could probably do well.

Though, like Marni, I will continue to dream about a version of the Matterhorn at MK...

DisneyDragon

When I refer to analysts, I mean the analysts at the various financial institutions, and who pretty much govern the price of a stock.

The overall argument is that Disney can't expect to build E-ticket attractions, on the scale that we fans would like, and have their stock price keep up. The net return, time-adjusted, returns a poor figure in valuation - flip through Valuation by McKinsey and you'd see why...although I just recommended that you read something along the lines of stereo instructions (my warning). How does stock price factor in? Simple - most CEOs facing a falling stock price will quickly find pressure from the board...or if the board is friendly to the CEO, then the institutions will vote in their own board at the AGM - and then it's pink-slip time. Eisner, in his credit, managed to hang on long past the time that other CEOs would have been booted.

However, the double jeopardy is that any theme park that doesn't introduce new elements - attractions (like rides and shows), programs (pricing, special events, etc) gets painted as stale. In the case of Disney, they can fall back on the return guests for quite a while.

I will give full credit for Disney for balancing the two sides. Some periods of re-imagineering rides or bringing in amusement rides, followed by expansionary/new development. When you factor in all six gates (in the US), plus the minor parks and hotels, that's an unbelievable vacuum for funding. Greenlights must be given out very cautiously.

TWDC simply can't make decisions that don't have complete financial support - we'd like to think otherwise, but every public company is rather tied to the quarterly and annual earnings.

yensidtlaw1969

marni1971 said:

The station would make a nice entrance for the swiss Matterhorn . . .

Yensid "What? It would." tlaw1969

jedimaster1227

yensidtlaw1969 said:
The station would make a nice entrance for the swiss Matterhorn . . .

Yensid "What? It would." tlaw1969

I could still see a Matterhorn at MK. There is always the location where it sits at DL-next to the old 20K Lagoon (Now Pooh's Playful Spot)...

yensidtlaw1969

jedimaster1227 said:
Actually, I heard that Alice is a pretty good attraction, and if it fit, it could probably do well.

Though, like Marni, I will continue to dream about a version of the Matterhorn at MK...
I loved it when I went on it at DL in 2001 (my only trip to DL . . . I hope to go back!). You load outside on Fantasyland level and then over the course or the ride it gradually goes up until you're on top of Mr. Toad's. Then it takes you outside on a loft-like pathway outside on a second level. Then it takes you back down for the last few scenes of the attraction and then you end up back at the load. Ofcourse, the Matterhorn is right across the path from it. never did ride that Matterhorn :eek: . I'm dissapointed myself.

Yensid "One day . . ." tlaw1969

jedimaster1227

yensidtlaw1969 said:
never did ride that Matterhorn :eek: . I'm dissapointed myself.

Yensid "One day . . ." tlaw1969

That is a shame. I was only at DL for half a day and the first thing that I rushed to do was the Matterhorn. I rode side B at night and I literally freaked out thinking that I was going to fly off of the side of the mountain. It was amazing! I am pretty sad that we don't have a version of it here...:cry:

DisneyDragon

jedimaster1227 said:

I really like Alice - it's a fun little attraction. For some reason, the rabbit prints along the ride path through the ride really impress me. They'd have to adjust it a fair bit, though. It's not a really small footprint, and actually meanders through gardens on the ground level a bit.

As for the Matterhorn, it's very similar to Space Mountain, but you can see much better. With the introduction of E:E, I can't see why they would put up a Matterhorn (as is) at the MK at WDW. However, if it were re-themed and dropped in the back, I could see that working, and well (the moutains would form a triangle. If memory serves me correctly, there's enough room if one goes over the train tracks (which would give lots of room for a good tunnel - a la Primeval Canyon), and even the service road could be moved (or at least go through a tunnel). The problem remains though - what theme could they use?

Based on recent history, probability theory would suggest Stitch Mountain as that little blue smacktard is everywhere now. I really hope that no one from Disney is reading this...

sniggle74

The Matterhorn is a wonderful attraction. I rode it a few times during my trip last year. On the last night, I was able to get on during the fireworks spectacular! Talk about a Disney moment.

Alice is rather unique. I found it to be enjoyable as well. I am certainly surprised that the 2 story dark rides never really caught on. I was under the impression that there were to be a 2 storied ride for Beauty and the Beast as well as the Little Mermaid.

Alas, ride that are gone, never built BUT never forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom