Jim Hill strikes again PART II-Night Kingdom?

Maerj

I like the other itdeas with Star Wars and Pirate capture the flag much better than the animal adventures.

I got to agree with you on this! I wouldn't pay $300 to what the rumored park is going to be but I would be willing to pay extra to do a Star Wars, Pirates adventure park like they came up with here on the boards. In fact, I'd almost HAVE to do that park. I've always thought that Disney should get the rights to do a James Bond attraction. If they got that, they could do that theme for the interactive spy adventure.

DisneyAnole

It's funny you say that. Right after I read the article I immediately thought that because this park seems to be so focused on guest service that perhaps they would have an age limit of 21 and older in order to work there. On top of that, maybe you would need at least a year of working for Disney in some shape way or form.
No clue what they would do, but I'm sure they wouldn't start employing people off the street like they do for their other parks. This way Disney can ensure they have top notch employees.
We'll see in due time, if this rumor is true, that is.

:cool: Lexxweb

Of course, if that was the case, the quality of CMs at the "standard" parks would take a nose-dive. Disney would have to start hiring people who live in Pine Hills, for God's sake.

Thiger

I got to agree with you on this! I wouldn't pay $300 to what the rumored park is going to be but I would be willing to pay extra to do a Star Wars, Pirates adventure park like they came up with here on the boards. In fact, I'd almost HAVE to do that park. I've always thought that Disney should get the rights to do a James Bond attraction. If they got that, they could do that theme for the interactive spy adventure.

I'd pay $300 to have 2 CMs with me...two princesses that is. Then I'd love to have official outfits ready for me, from indy costume to pirate costume and of course, a super spy outfit. I mean, how cool woudl the AC be if you were in your very own adventurer's costume?

Feeding penguins and hippos really isn't my bag, but maybe if they at elast work in a 'Scare Floor' monsters inc ride that would be great.

2gether

My thoughts

We'll probably do it, my wife and I did Discovery Cove and had a great time, so to do something in a similar vein from Disney sounds like it would be fun. It definately seems that this isn't marketed towards everyone and that's too bad. For those of us who choose to try it, it will probably be a great time.

These are pretty much my thoughts. Discovery Cove was uber expensive but it was one of the most memorable days of our lives. Unlike many here, I have learned to trust Disney with stuff like this. Many people spend almost this much to just dive in the Seas, and to have a whole park? I think it would go over ok.

Note though that Discovery Cove is now being heavily advertised: if Disney decides to do this I hope they do a little better job.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
These are pretty much my thoughts. Discovery Cove was uber expensive but it was one of the most memorable days of our lives. Unlike many here, I have learned to trust Disney with stuff like this. Many people spend almost this much to just dive in the Seas, and to have a whole park? I think it would go over ok.

Note though that Discovery Cove is now being heavily advertised: if Disney decides to do this I hope they do a little better job.

I too have noticed quite an increase in Discovery Cove advertising...maybe they know something too...

jcowens2000

Im sold.

I had heard about this theme park idea "for the affluent". Undercrowded, concierge service etc...and yes, expensive.

Im sold! lol Bring it on!

2gether

A few more thoughts

A few more thoughts now that I am thinking about it....

We did Discovery Cove on Memorial Day. We flew in Saturday and did MK on Sunday of Mem Day weekend....DISASTER:goodnevil. I have a picture of the strollers in Fantasyland literally from Peter Pan to Small World to the Carousel....the ENTIRE space. :ROFLOL:It was our most miserable day in the Disney parks ever, and we have had the blessing to go many times.

The next day we went to Discovery Cove: Memorial Day itself....absolute bliss. We had plenty of space and the swim with the Dolphins was unreal. It was worth the $250 each to get away from the big crowds for a day and do something really unique: plus we got two day tickets to Seaworld. Altogether we spent two days away that we otherwise would have given the mouse.

So here's my conclusion: give people the opportunity to do something truly unique AND get away from the big crowds and they will come. In truth I will.

And the money I would have given Anheuser Busch will stay in WDW. A winner for them and for me.

Gorjus

Not anybody can be a millionaire in this country. It requires either being born into a wealthy or famous family, or being very lucky, or being exremely blessed with some talent. The idea that all you have to do is take the right steps is just plain not true.

And everyone certainly does NOT have an equal opportunity to be financially successful in life. If you come from the right family and go to the right schools you have a MUCH better chance at success than a poor kid who grows up in the ghetto who would have to work so much incredibly harder to achieve the same thing.

Equal opportunity for all is in this country is a myth, and if you really believe that the privileged don't have an easier time getting what they want for themselves and their families than the underprivileged, then I think that you are just fooling yourself.

Yes anyone can be a millionaire. Of course it takes talent and a little luck, but mostly it is just plain hard work and making it a priority. Hard, Hard, work and sacrifice. It can be done.

While coming from the right family and right schools may help you succeed in life, it doesn't mean that those who don't can't financially succeed. And sometimes having a silver spoon hinders your abilities. My life is full of blue collar workers who just worked and worked thier tales off till they were financially successful. You may have to work harder, but you can still get there. I said everyone has equal OPPORTUNITY not equal resources.

If you think anyone can't be successful with a lot of hard work, then you already have a defeatest attitude. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice as much of their time as is needed to be financially successful.

Stories abound with people who started off with nothing and worked and worked till they were successful. Walt Disney is one of them. Jim, VP of Epcot started parking cars at Disney. It can be done.

The Red Head

I think trying to think about this idea from the accounting side of things is a complete waste of time. They could do all sorts of things that could help the numbers look better. Say they use the already cleared area inside AK's boundry. They could make an entrance from the park, and a separate entrance from "outside the berm". The two parks could share facilities on the edges where they meet, and POW. Shared expenses. The new park could use already depreciated equipment from AK, too. They could do that any number of ways, really. They could put this park just next to AK, share the parking lots, and share expenses that way. So my guess is it would be profitable the first day they opened the doors. And that doen't take into account the potential souvenier dollars, either. Those possibilities are endless. Merch could be park exclusive only, and I could see that as making people want to buy more. "Well, this is probably the only time we'll visit this $300 park... We better all get T-shirts!!" I know that me and my fam would visit this park, and you could count me as one that wouldn't care about another couple hundred bucks to remember the experience, especially since I've already dropped big bucks getting in.

And Disney is (almost) always a step ahead in quality and presentation than the other parks in Orlando. I've got no reason to believe this wouldn't be the same way. Discovery Cove has been a HIT... No reason to think that Disney couldn't do it better. Especially if Joe Rohde is involved in this whole thing... This seems right up his alley. I could see unique ways to do this stuff. Say maybe there's a platform like 25 feet above the lion enclosure. That's a view you don't normally see. Maybe something similar for the hippo thing... Feeding from a safe (but still close) distance above.

That being said... The original point of the thread was to discuss the AC potentially moving. And I don't know that I'd like that idea. The point of the AC is to let your hair down and have a good, fairly adult time. I don't know that it would be good to have 6 kungalooshes, then head over to the lion enclosure to cheer them on in the hunt, or get wayyy buzzed and then go cuddle with a penguin. The AC should be the destination in and of itself for those that go there... Not a pit stop on the way somewhere else.

The bad thing is the theming could be dead-on. :zipit:

This is one of those ideas that does not appeal to me. I have no desire to pay an extra $300 to feed a hippo, see bats, or go rock climbing. The broadway show sounds appealing and maybe the dinner, but to me, that's not worth $300 per person.

However, that being said...I must practice what I preach. Disney does not build everything to appeal to every single person. And I do not want to be one of those people who (sounds like witch) when Disney builds something that does not appeal to me. Therefore, since what I gather about Discovery Cove (which I'll admit, I definitely don't know anything about really) and apparently how popular it is...I'm sure if Disney put their spin on it...it could be a huge hit. Especially if they ended up tying it into AK in some way.

But...on to the Adv. Club part of the article. Myself, I would be upset if I couldn't go to the Adv. Club again, except by paying $300 to go to this 5th gate. I am really new on the Adv. Club bandwagon and I would hate it if I couldn't visit it for a reasonable price. Matter of fact, I'm taking a weekend trip to Florida next week and the only things I'm really doing on Disney property is visiting the MK and going to DTD and PI to see the Adv. Club. That's my whole trip. And I'm very excited about getting to do it. Now, if there were still a way to visit the Adv. Club by paying a fee still and not being forced to go to the Night Kingdom...then I'd be fine. I would have no problem with this development, what so ever, even though it definitely is not my cup of tea.

I agree with these two. I have been going to PI, and more importantly the AC for almost 10 years and would be disappointed to see it go and just as disappointed if it reappeared somewhere else where I would have to pay hundreds of dollars just to hang out in the club.

DisneyAnole

If you think anyone can't be successful with a lot of hard work, then you already have a defeatest attitude. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice as much of their time as is needed to be financially successful.

Stories abound with people who started off with nothing and worked and worked till they were successful. Walt Disney is one of them. Jim, VP of Epcot started parking cars at Disney. It can be done.

Stories abound based on two examples? I don't know anything about Jim, his background, or his promotions, but Walt Disney is certainly an exceptional case, not proof-positive that anyone can be a millionaire in America.

No offense, but maybe you should stick to discussing Fantasyland and not the real world. So should I. This isn't a political or an economics forum, after all.

2gether

Sorry still off-topic, but I am reading Walt's biography right now. He was bankrupt when he was just in his early twenties.

Being successful takes drive, effort, vision and determination. Anyone can do it but you have to believe it can be done.

We all make choices. Walt was a dreamer who started new organizations his entire life. I choose to work inside established organizations. It is a smaller risk but with lesser probability for true fortune.

Most millionaires are self-made. If you look into it you will find that is true.

Now, back to topic.....I still think this will work for Disney if they decide to do it.

MiklCraw4d

Sadly, Disney had the rights for Bond in the original MGM contract but never used them. Foolish, I think...

EpcotServo

Back on topic please? :rolleyes:
This horse has left the stable...

What? There was a topic?

That reminds me, you know what's good? cheeze. When you eat it's all like yummmm...cheeze. It can be cold, and it's good. And, it's even better when it's warm! PLUS, it gets better when you put it on top of other things. anything really. You could put hot melty cheeze on a tire, and I'd eat it. All kinds of cheeze. Unless it's stinky, then it's not so good. But I'm talkin' your regular, normal, cheeze. It's great. I can't stress that enough. And it's not like anyone DOSEN'T like cheeze. No matter where you go. I mean, what are you going to say? NO sir, I don't want any cheeze? Ha. It's improbable. I HIGHLY doubt it. it's just so good. I think we live in a culture that dosen't accept cheeze for what it is: great. I think we should thank our lucky stars EVERY DAY for two things: Living in America, and Cheeze. I think cheeze is good, that's basicly the jist of what I'm saying.

You know, that was off topic. WHY did you bring up cheeze, Clemson? This topic is about the new Disney park.

Brian Noble

I'm not entirely convinced that Disney can automatically do a better job with their high-end park than Busch has done with Discovery Cove just because they are Disney.
That's the thing, they don't have to do it better---they have the advantage of being the primary destination for most Central FL tourists, and a sizeable captive audience through Destination Disney.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
What? There was a topic?

That reminds me, you know what's good? cheeze. When you eat it's all like yummmm...cheeze. It can be cold, and it's good. And, it's even better when it's warm! PLUS, it gets better when you put it on top of other things. anything really. You could put hot melty cheeze on a tire, and I'd eat it. All kinds of cheeze. Unless it's stinky, then it's not so good. But I'm talkin' your regular, normal, cheeze. It's great. I can't stress that enough. And it's not like anyone DOSEN'T like cheeze. No matter where you go. I mean, what are you going to say? NO sir, I don't want any cheeze? Ha. It's improbable. I HIGHLY doubt it. it's just so good. I think we live in a culture that dosen't accept cheeze for what it is: great. I think we should thank our lucky stars EVERY DAY for two things: Living in America, and Cheeze. I think cheeze is good, that's basicly the jist of what I'm saying.

You know, that was off topic. WHY did you bring up cheeze, Clemson? This topic is about the new Disney park.

Sorry....what was I thinking....:brick: :zipit:

StitchFan21

I don't post often but have to comment on someone saying that only people over 21 should be allowed to work here if it is built. Its not just the under 21 crowd who are rude.

Second Hippos are very dangerous! You would not want to go near one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom