Jim Hill strikes again PART II-Night Kingdom?

WeLComeHomE OKW

Original Poster
So, I promised I would be writing again tonight if he actually followed up on his story.

And, to my surprise, he did! And, oh boy, does he have a little juicy new rumor for us to chew on.

Click here to read the entertaining story

Now, since i don't want to respond to my own post, i will just post my reactions here. I absolutely hate the idea. If it was some extension of a theme park, or a new theme park just for adults, or a part of western way, I would totally get it.

But, its not. And, the details sound incredibly boring and expensive, but worst of all, discriminating. Isn't it bad enough that ticket prices are at an all time high? and that price already limits what type of person can go to disney world? isn't it bad enough that we have to live in a society where the only way a person can escape reality and get some magic, is if they have the privilege to attend?

but, i...i love disney world. It helps me escape reality, it gives me amazing memorable experiences, its a beautiful sense of community, my whole family can find something to enjoy, it creates a whole new level of story telling that no other medium can really capture, and it brightens the heart. But, this "Night Kingdom" idea is taking everything too far. It defeats the purpose of everything that is "Disney" and uses its brand to take advantage of the rich and discriminate against the poor.

I'm not here to say what Walt Disney would have approved of, but, i know that i can't afford this. I know that my parents and i spent hard earned money to buy annual passes so that we can enjoy all disney world has to offer. we know we are privileged, and we share that privilege with all disney world lovers. For some reason, even though Disney World is expensive, somehow, people find ways to show up if they really want to. But, 300 dollars to touch a hippo? 300 dollars to rock-climb when i can rock climb at ________'s sporting goods?

I hope Disney realizes that this is a mistake. This is a wasted 520 million dollars. That 520 could be going into a revised Pleasure Island. It could go into new E-ticket experiences. It could go into expanding Disney's Hollywood Studios, or plussing signature attractions. It could go into some risk taking for once! and not the next 3d lets just use screen technology cuz we can fish talk with nemo.

Disney, get your priorities straight!!!!

HandyAndy

Hmmm....I'm not sure about this. The whole 'unique' experience doesn't seem all that unique to me....$250 for activities I can do a heck of a lot cheaper in loads of other places, but with a Disney twist? The whole nighttime amusement park is not original either, I rememebr going to one called 'Luna Park' in France (?), which was your average theme park opening for the evenings only.
Discovery Cove in my opinion is a lot more unique, and something I was definitaly willing to shed out the big bucks for.
Only time can tell however....I am sure Disney have what it takes to make it 'unique', that's just my take after reading JH's description.

tomm4004

This is where the Adventurer's Club is going? So instead of hanging out for the night you spend five minutes on your way into the park?

And is this a new park, or just AK after dark?

I suppose it will appeal to certain guests, but nothing in the descriptions appealed to me. It sounds like a super-version of the backstage AK tour. But I'm sure there's more to it.

LordHelmut

(reminds self to be careful what I wish for)

So.... when I quipped 'come up with something original' in response to other posts.... this was not what I was thinking.

To blow what is currently an entire vacation budget on a single day.... and that is in 2008 dollars.... *and* this is from someone who visits yearly...

Will Never Happen

Not to say there are folks that are more affluent than I that would jump at this, it just seems.... cant find the words, well, it seems like the opposite of what is expected (/kind mode off)

This does not sound like another park at all, much more like another gate to the back side of AK, with a few additional areas tacked on.

(math urge strikes)

2000*250*365 = $219M

4000 cast * $40k = $160M (yes I pulled that out of the air)

O&M ????

Might make sense financially. I would much rather see this *not* in Florida however. To me Disney parks have been (for the most part) accessible to everyone, in terms of price and availability. (and I would never go to Discovery Cove either, as I am a diver and the Keys are located just a few hours drive to the south... and yes I have swam with dolphins there also)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So.... when I quipped 'come up with something original' in response to other posts.... this was not what I was thinking.

To blow what is currently an entire vacation budget on a single day.... and that is in 2008 dollars.... *and* this is from someone who visits yearly...

Will Never Happen

Not to say there are folks that are more affluent than I that would jump at this, it just seems.... cant find the words, well, it seems like the opposite of what is expected (/kind mode off)

This does not sound like another park at all, much more like another gate to the back side of AK, with a few additional areas tacked on.

(math urge strikes)

2000*250*365 = $219M

4000 cast * $40k = $160M (yes I pulled that out of the air)

O&M ????

Might make sense financially. I would much rather see this *not* in Florida however. To me Disney parks have been (for the most part) accessible to everyone, in terms of price and availability. (and I would never go to Discovery Cove either, as I am a diver and the Keys are located just a few hours drive to the south... and yes I have swam with dolphins there also)
While you might not do it there will be plenty of people that will. Disney does not need every guest to partake in this park. If roughly 1%-2% of their daily park guests fork out the cash for DNK it will be a full capacity every day. I doubt I will do it the first year it opens, I will wait until the bugs are worked out ,but I will definitely do it providing that I get my $300 worth. If what JH describes actually comes to pass it will be well worth the $300 price tag.

majortom1981

ugh

Why can't they finish revamping their current parks first? They have 4 of them. After all 4 parks are completely reavmped then worry about another park.

tomm4004

"Then why don't you head on over to that Southern American-themed enclosure where you can frolic with some penguins?"

Does anyone know where Southern America is? Is that like Alabama? They have penguins?

For $520 million it does sound like more than just a back door to AK. At Sea World it seems as though they take their core - sea life - and make it an exclusive experience. But I never thought of AK as Disney's core. More like MK or even EPCOT. Although I'm not sure how you could turn those concepts into exclusive experiences.

The MaD Hatter

Sounds boring. I guess if this actually comes about then average joes like me who are not interested in DNK or who cannot afford it will no longer be allowed to visit the Adventurer's Club either. Ugh, why not leave AC alone and use the money to fix the problems at the existing parks.

tomm4004

You didn't think that guests staying at the to-be-built Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton would be hanging out with the masses, did you? :)

terp79

I don't know....this just sounds bleak, and i'm a pretty optimistic person. I have to ask the folks at WDW parks, "what are you thinking?" I'm not directing this towards Imagineers but the people over them...American Idol, High School Musical 3, now this? Not sure how much truth is in this new 5th gate concept but if disney does anything else in the park that distracts from other attractions and gates it's really gonna make me mad!

Disney Night kingdom will make Animal Kingdom look somewhat dull and Animal Kingdom out shines the Jungle Cruise. Which means this new proposed park will make the Jungle Cruise look so lame with its AAs and the like.

I like the idea of a specialty park, but like so many have said before, Jim's highlights of this idea aren't so special. I know disney wants to bring some of that personalized special magic that Discovery Cover has, but I think Imagineers are really gonna have to think this one through, a lot in order to make it special and for that price tag.

I know Imagineers have wanted to do a boutique park, and WDI, Glendale has a few ideas up their sleeves for way out west it they ever acquire the land...but why do I feel this is Disney's way to test the market on an idea, cuz you know if this does go over well and California gets its own specialty park it's gonna outshine whatever goes in Orlando.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sounds like the Disney Institute on steroids to me, and we all know what happened to that.
Similar price tag but different experiences. Most people would rather not pay to go to school for a vacation but there are quite a few that will throw down big bucks to be pampered and feed a hippo.

TheBeatles

"Mind you, Disney's Night Kingdom will have no traditional theme park rides per se. But you'll still be able to get your fill of excitement & adventure as you strap on a pair of night vision goggles and then wander out into a pitch-black African savanna. Where you'll then be able to observe up-close lions & hyenas as they go through their nocturnal hunting routines."

That doesn't sound fun.

tomm4004

Disney Night kingdom will make Animal Kingdom look somewhat dull and Animal Kingdom out shines the Jungle Cruise. Which means this new proposed park will make the Jungle Cruise look so lame with its AAs and the like.
You can have your $300 night-vision goggles and I'll stick with The Jungle Cruise and its lame AAs. It's endured for 50 years. I don't see this stopping it.

DisneyLeo18

Does this idea sound ridiculous to anyone else????
i couldnt see disney building something like this. And who would want to walk through a savannah while lions hunt at night or through a cave of bats?? And after your done with the walk through the caves and savannahs you can head over to the theater... uh huh this sounds like ideas all piled into one story. Doesnt sound like something disney would do, although the price does.. :ROFLOL:

I thought Eisner was out of office! This is SO Eisner in SO many ways! I hope this plain-out-awful idea never comes to fruition. What is the repeat value? If this is considered the “next theme park” will it stand in the way of us getting the next traditional park? Why Disney!? WHY!!? :shrug: I know we all can think of SO many better ideas to use $520 million on…..and this craptastic idea is certainly NOT one of them. :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom