Jim Hill strikes again PART II-Night Kingdom?

Buried20KLeague

See, from what I'm gathering...you could do that with the current attractions and theme parks...but watching a video of somebody hand feeding a hippo isn't all that exciting. Actually being the one feeding the hippo, on the other hand, is very exciting!

Take Steve Irwin for instance...sure, his show was exciting to watch. Now, imagine the excitement if you were WITH Steve Irwin during the filming!

:zipit::zipit: MUST... NOT... MAKE... STINGRAY... JOKE... ARGH.... :zipit::zipit:

Fun2BFree

And yet somehow I made the joke without making the joke. :D

And as promised, here's your flaming:

flamebar99.gif

Flame until lightly roasted. ;)

comics101

If true, I'm extremely dissapointed. Maybe I'm just boring, but I would perfer a traditional Disney park. I doubt I would ever pay extra for it...

Thiger

It would be exciting but honestly, Hippos are one of the most 'maltempered' animals on the planet. I believe I read somewhere that they kill more people in Africa than all of the other animals combined.

That being said, the Hippos I will be feeding are the blue, green, pink and yellow ones *hungry hungry hippos*

;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I say this without any judgment, good or bad (if this works for Disney as a business, then it is a good idea), but:

It becomes more apparent to me with each decision that lately WDW is being almost exclusively marketed to the tween-set (HSM and Hannah Montana, and a new "middle-school" version of SSE in my opinion) and the parents of those tweens willing to spend $2000.00 on Hannah Montana concert tickets and extras. WDW is paralleling the change that occurred to the Disney Channel more each day, it seems. Either that or I'm just getting old (a real possibility).

Again, I'm not judging. It's probably not a bad marketing decision by Disney. I just won't be forking out money in addition to my PAP to see this new park. I'm sure it'll do just fine, though.

I'll get by with videos on mousebits once the park opens. :ROFLOL:

And yet somehow this seems to be a decision that's 'not' going after that crowd.

WDWFREAK53

It would be exciting but honestly, Hippos are one of the most 'maltempered' animals on the planet. I believe I read somewhere that they kill more people in Africa than all of the other animals combined.

That being said, the Hippos I will be feeding are the blue, green, pink and yellow ones *hungry hungry hippos*

;)

Where's your sense of adventure? :lol:

daverube

;)

I guess that depends on whether you consider man an animal or not.... :fork:

Ooops.....

NEED....TO....FIND....A....POLITICAL....BOARD.....

I loved that caps and periods stuff.....

dox

Think about it, people pay $275 to go on a boat for Illuminations and it is for a lot less time than in a park.

You're right, but you don't pay $275 per person to do an Illuminations cruise. And yes people also pay to do the Chef's Table at V&A but again they don't pay $300 per person.

There are alot of high end things from dinners, to tours, to hotel rooms, people can partake of while on a vacation at Disney. But an AP pass gets you unlimited visits to the parks for about the same price.

I think the long term problem with a park like this is that Disney is forgetting that your average person has to balance their expenses no matter how well off they are. For example, One night at a deluxe hotel v. one person, one night at Night Kingdom. Essentially admission for one person equals an entire family staying the night at a deluxe resort. Thats an awfully large sacrifice. It will be difficult for a lot of people to seriously consider sacrificing certain aspects of a vacation in order to spend half a day at a small theme park (or whatever it is) with no rides. A family of four would spend $1200 more or less for one night at NK v. 4 nights at a deluxe hotel.

If Disney wants to cater to such a high end crowd they are free to do so of course. But it seems to me that a new park is extremely costly and quite risky when you are catering to such a niche crowd.

I may be wrong given that Discovery Cove is still around all these years later. But DC also has two price levels, one with a dolphin encounter and one without and its quite significant a difference. DC is also feels like a much longer experience given that you arrive in the morning and stay till the end of the afternoon. I'm also sure that DC has to be less expensive to run than the Jim Hill described Night Kingdom.

My hope is that Night Kingdom is merely AK at night. But the idea of Disney investing so much capital in a new mini park scares me a bit, especially in light of the fact money needs to be spent to shore up each of the parks especially once Harry Potter comes to town. I don't foresee people making special trips solely for Night Kingdom, unless its something extraordinary. And frankly nothing i've heard is that exciting.

I think I belong to that segment of the population Disney would want to attract to this park - young urban professional with disposable income (see todays Jim Hill article). When I visit WDW, I make a point of visiting various sit down restaurants CG, Narco., AP, FF, etc. and I try to stay at Deluxe resorts or split my stay up between moderates and deluxe. But in order for me to shell out $300 for myself and an additional $300 for my significant other, my whole vacation would need to change. And although I'm more flexible about this kind of stuff, I can tell you many of my co-workers and friends who never opt to stay at a value resort. Unfortunately, this whole idea sounds too much like a revised version of the Disney Institute. And we all know how that worked out. It was such an ill thought out idea that ignored the basic reasons why families visit WDW.

However, I have alot of confidence in the Disney Imagineers and hopefully this is an idea that has been fleshed out by them and not Disney accountants.

WDWFREAK53

You're right, but you don't pay $275 per person to do an Illuminations cruise. And yes people also pay to do the Chef's Table at V&A but again they don't pay $300 per person.

There are alot of high end things from dinners, to tours, to hotel rooms, people can partake of while on a vacation at Disney. But an AP pass gets you unlimited visits to the parks for about the same price.

I think the long term problem with a park like this is that Disney is forgetting that your average person has to balance their expenses no matter how well off they are. For example, One night at a deluxe hotel v. one person, one night at Night Kingdom. Essentially admission for one person equals an entire family staying the night at a deluxe resort. Thats an awfully large sacrifice. It will be difficult for a lot of people to seriously consider sacrificing certain aspects of a vacation in order to spend half a day at a small theme park (or whatever it is) with no rides. A family of four would spend $1200 more or less for one night at NK v. 4 nights at a deluxe hotel.

If Disney wants to cater to such a high end crowd they are free to do so of course. But it seems to me that a new park is extremely costly and quite risky when you are catering to such a niche crowd.

I may be wrong given that Discovery Cove is still around all these years later. But DC also has two price levels, one with a dolphin encounter and one without and its quite significant a difference. DC is also feels like a much longer experience given that you arrive in the morning and stay till the end of the afternoon. I'm also sure that DC has to be less expensive to run than the Jim Hill described Night Kingdom.

My hope is that Night Kingdom is merely AK at night. But the idea of Disney investing so much capital in a new mini park scares me a bit, especially in light of the fact money needs to be spent to shore up each of the parks especially once Harry Potter comes to town. I don't foresee people making special trips solely for Night Kingdom, unless its something extraordinary. And frankly nothing i've heard is that exciting.

I think I belong to that segment of the population Disney would want to attract to this park - young urban professional with disposable income (see todays Jim Hill article). When I visit WDW, I make a point of visiting various sit down restaurants CG, Narco., AP, FF, etc. and I try to stay at Deluxe resorts or split my stay up between moderates and deluxe. But in order for me to shell out $300 for myself and an additional $300 for my significant other, my whole vacation would need to change. And although I'm more flexible about this kind of stuff, I can tell you many of my co-workers and friends who never opt to stay at a value resort. Unfortunately, this whole idea sounds too much like a revised version of the Disney Institute. And we all know how that worked out. It was such an ill thought out idea that ignored the basic reasons why families visit WDW.

However, I have alot of confidence in the Disney Imagineers and hopefully this is an idea that has been fleshed out by them and not Disney accountants.

True, but if you don't want to...don't do it.
Look at the Richard Petty Driving Experience

That is a lot more than Night Kingdom and people do it all the time. If it wasn't a moneymaker, it wouldn't exist.

dox

So you're comparing a small race track built at the far end of a parking lot to an entire theme park staffed by 1000s of employees?? I think you missed the point. Its not whether I want to or dont want to go to NK. The point is whether NK is feasible and likely to make money and attract crowds and not diminish investment in existing parks and resorts.

WDWFREAK53

So you're comparing a small race track built at the far end of a parking lot to an entire theme park staffed by 1000s of employees?? I think you missed the point. Its not whether I want to or dont want to go to NK. The point is whether NK is feasible and likely to make money and attract crowds and not diminish investment in existing parks and resorts.

No, I was making the point that people will spend outrageous amounts of money while on vacation for something they can't do in other places.

DNK will just be a larger project.

Look at Discovery Cove.

tim911

This park needs to be built with money. If the park does not exist, it does not make money, so where do these funds come from?? Profits from other areas in the company. This is not a bad thing if the other "affordable" parks do not suffer from a lack of new attractions during this timeframe, but I have a feeling they would......

That is the only thing that anyone can legitimately gripe about since it is there personal choice if they find it worth there money to visit if it ever comes to reality.

If they build it, I will go. I spent nearly $600 for the 7 hour Backstage Magic tour for me and my wife and found it to be excellent and worth every penny. Its all about personal choices.

Buried20KLeague

This park needs to be built with money. If the park does not exist, it does not make money, so where do these funds come from?? Profits from other areas in the company. This is not a bad thing if the other "affordable" parks do not suffer from a lack of new attractions during this timeframe, but I have a feeling they would......

That is the only thing that anyone can legitimately gripe about since it is there personal choice if they find it worth there money to visit if it ever comes to reality.

If they build it, I will go. I spent nearly $600 for the 7 hour Backstage Magic tour for me and my wife and found it to be excellent and worth every penny. Its all about personal choices.

While you might be right... A park like this wouldn't have to be built from profits from the other parks. There's any number of ways to do it, and depending on how they do their accounting, that money might all be in different buckets that can't be shared from anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is, there's no guarantee that other parks would take a hit during construction of a new venture like this. Especially since it sounds at first take like they'd be marketing this to a different crowd than what you might consider their "target audience" for the current parks.

jt04

While you might be right... A park like this wouldn't have to be built from profits from the other parks. There's any number of ways to do it, and depending on how they do their accounting, that money might all be in different buckets that can't be shared from anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is, there's no guarantee that other parks would take a hit during construction of a new venture like this. Especially since it sounds at first take like they'd be marketing this to a different crowd than what you might consider their "target audience" for the current parks.

Yep, different bucket.

tim911

Yep, different bucket.

Great, then whats everyone complaining about?!?! We will be getting a brand new park that will be super themed with a very personal experience! If you can afford it, go, if you can't, just wait for the inevitable discounts!!

Can we quit the complaining now and start looking forward to whats in store for this possible new park?!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom